Public Hearing for High Density Housing in Overcrowded LFE

The City of La Vergne is holding a Public Hearing on June 2, 2020 at 6:30. Ordinance #2020-03 addresses the proposed zoning change from R-1 (low density) to Planned Density Residential (high density). This property is located near Fire Station #3 on Bill Stewart Boulevard. The current zoning allows for approximately 18 homes. The proposed project would change the zoning to allow for about 145 units of Senior (55 plus) rental townhomes and quadplexes.

At the meeting, the developer / architect stated that only four people showed up for the public hearing, indicating that if folks don’t show up they have no say in what happens. He was wrong. In fact a lawsuit in Tennessee a couple of years ago validated that emails are an acceptable form of requesting information from a city. Here’s the agenda of the public hearing scheduled next week that was found essentially buried on the city’s web page. You really have to search to find it.

And yes people do have a say, whether through emails, phone calls, or in person. For example a Lake Forest Estates resident told me this,

Community stakeholders are concerned with the already overpopulated area.  Lake Forest Estates is known for being the largest subdivision in the State of Tennessee with over 3,100 homes and numerous building projects already going on that have not been completed.

We are also very concerned about adding to the traffic.  If you’ve ever had to come in or out of the area during busy travel times, you know what I’m talking about.  It’s a complete nightmare, only having four outlets to the main thoroughfare.  This is the largest subdivision in the State that I’m talking about with 1/3 of the City’s population.  There are many neighboring subdivisions that also deal with the traffic problems.

Deborah Balthrop, 20+ year resident of LaVergne and LFE

Zoning laws were changed several years ago to low density in order to protect this massive residential area from more high density housing. The Planning Commission when it comes to zoning changes will make a favorable or unfavorable recommendation to the Board of Mayor and Aldermen, but because they serve at the will of the Mayor we have seen time and time again that the commissioners will make the recommendation the mayor wants them to make. The Board then makes the final decision – a decision that should be based on what the people want. For example, the Board several years ago was faced with changing a property from Industrial zoning to (again) high density residential. Despite a favorable recommendation from the Planning Commission, the Board voted against changing the zoning because of public outcry. The efforts of the public stopped apartments from being built in what one person described as “the Brentwood of LaVergne.” I call upon city officials to show they care as much about parts of LaVergne that aren’t rolling in money as they care for those who can afford to make campaign donations.

As for the rest of us voting citizens, we too have voices. Use them. Speak up! Blow up phones and emails! Call them. Write to them. Speak out in person! These officials were elected by the people for the people. They were not elected by an architect for a developer!

"Public Hearing for High Density Housing in Overcrowded LFE", 5 out of 5 based on 3 ratings.

11 comments for “Public Hearing for High Density Housing in Overcrowded LFE

May 30, 2020 at 1:05 pm

Why don’t you get one of those change.org petitions going? I know many people aren’t online, but there’s not time for much else and if you could present a petition with a lot of signatures, it might help.

Regardless of the vocal minority, there’s lots of apathy in this City when it comes to actually coming out from behind the keyboard and taking a stand for or against something.

(Also, you might want to revise the last sentence in the second-to-last paragraph.)

2. Richelle Hoover
    May 30, 2020 at 6:28 pm

I am against the rezoning of this property

3. Elaine Campbell
    May 30, 2020 at 6:43 pm

I am opposed to any more building on Bill Stewart. I live on Fergus Rd. With no sidewalks, no safe way for anyone to walk. The traffic is horrible. Fergus Rd has become a major highway, and those of us that live on it can hardly get out of our driveways. We do not have enough police to patrol and stop the speeding that is rampant. Find somewhere else to build.

4. Joyce Funk
    May 30, 2020 at 7:39 pm

I don’t live in the Fergus Road area but use it a lot when leaving Lake Forest for an appt, going to Walmart, etc. I’ve only been here 12 years but think there has already been too much building on this side of Murfreesboro Road. It seems to be there are other things that need to be taken care of before adding more people.

At this time it doesn’t have the effect on me that it has on others but I can’t imagine living on that road. I also worry about the environmental impact it is having, especially on wildlife.

5. Nikki
    May 31, 2020 at 7:02 am

Please stop building condos and attached housing in LFE. You are destroying the community by over populating it and straining our emergency departments! Rutherford County and the state of Tn in general is covered with open land ripe for building. Please go elsewhere and stop forcing us on top of each other in order to get more bang for your buck!

6. Sharon Elaine Campbell
    May 31, 2020 at 8:56 am

UPDATE to my previous comment” My names is Sharon Elaine Campbell, and I live at 247 Fergus Rd. La Vergne, Tn. 37086

7. Tabatha Howard
    May 31, 2020 at 10:02 am

If, and only if, this is used for AFFORDABLE housing for seniors, I can stand behind this. There have been concerns raised about the builder himself not being the most honest person which makes me weary to trust that what he says the land will be used for, will actually be used for such. If the general consensus from the seniors meeting was that they still would not be able to afford it, then I believe this should NOT rezoned.

I know members of the BOMA have heard the voices of LaVergne citizens & more importantly, our seniors who need to be taken care of. I trust that each of you will do what is best for this city as that is what you promised to do.

Money will not make this city better. Greed will not make this city better. Dishonesty will not make this city better.

If this parcel of land has ANY chance to be used for anything other than affordable senior living, then I believe this should be denied!

8. Corinne Wilsom
    May 31, 2020 at 12:50 pm

The area that is requested for rezoning is already over capacity for the safety of all. The homes are crammed closely together, the traffic is very congested, there is a lack of sidewalks, and there are also multiple other projects ongoing in this area by the same developer that will add to these concerns. Much more traffic & more people in a relatively small amount of acreage. The “engineer” stated that there were multiple ways out of the area in question. He certainly does n live in La Vergne or travel the area on a daily basis. He even mentioned Sand Hill Road as an exit. Really? Fergus is awful & really who chooses to go all the way to Stone River Road from this area if there is a shorter route. Please vote no for the safety of our citizens.

• Debbie Heughan
      June 2, 2020 at 2:06 am

He used Sand Hill as an example of an exit??? LOL That is where I was almost killed and my car was totaled by a very large construction vehicle recently. So that road is not safe either. I still have injuries being treated from that. Fergus is just as bad and so it Stones River Rd. As far as Nir Shreibman as an exit, didn’t one of our residents just get killed there and his children seriously injured?

9. Joseph Gilkes
    June 1, 2020 at 7:46 pm

LaVergne has a lot of potential, but growth of homes has outpaced development of new schools, sidewalks, parks, additional voting locations, and recreational areas. These items should be a priority now not more homes in an already congested area. Our family is against this additional housing project.

10. M. Gooch
    June 2, 2020 at 6:46 am

I am against changing to high density housing on Bill Stewart Blvd. I have lived in Lake Forest for 15 years and watched my street become a race track in and out of the subdivision. It is almost impossible to back out of my driveway on Bill Stewart as it is. I call it the Indy 500. The building of The Dollar General and Walmart have increased the walking traffic and the amount of trash that gets thrown down from some of the walkers. I pick up trash daily in my yard from the walkers. Another problem is the speeders hitting mailboxes. It’s a weekly occurrence! I would rather have annoying speed bumps put on Bill Stewart than adding 100+ drivers to an already overcrowded neighborhood. Please don’t change the zoning. I love my home and I want to keep it but this change would make me reconsider continuing to reside in La Vergne.