We have seen some questions popping up online asking how the city has changed in the last four years – what in the world kind of progress has there been? One of our readers actually submitted this information (unsolicited) and we love it so much, we’re sharing! Like the reader, we love our beautiful city and we believe there has been wonderful progress. Good things have happened in La Vergne during the past four years!
The City of LaVergne has achieved many positive things over the past four years. Below are just a few of the many projects and goals our great City has accomplished:
1. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has presented Water Fluoridation Quality Awards to 103 community water systems across Tennessee. Community water fluoridation is the adjustment of fluoride in drinking water to a level that is safe and effective for preventing tooth decay. In Rutherford County, both Murfreesboro and LaVergne received an award.
2. The City purchased the privately owned fire service in 2014. Using the same funding available to private for profit fire service the City was able to add 11 new career firefighters as well as 11 new volunteer firefighters. The new City owned fire department has also started a Medical First Responder Program to get medical assistance to the citizens of La Vergne prior to the arrival of the Rutherford County Ambulance Service. As everyone knows time is critical in medical emergencies. Eleven (11) certified CPR/ AED Instructors are now available to the citizens of La Vergne. Quint concept fire service is being introduced to the community which in turn saves on needed manpower. Stop by any of your 3 fire stations and visit the firefighters.
3. A new retail shopping center anchored by discount store T.J. Maxx has been approved in La Vergne, the developer behind Providence West in Mt. Juliet announced.
With construction anticipated to begin in early spring of 2015, The Shoppes at StoneCrest will be located on Industrial Boulevard next to Colonial Town Park off Sam Ridley Parkway within the La Vergne city limits, Browning Development Solutions said in a press release. It will feature nearly 130,000 square feet of shopping, including retail and restaurants. 200 NEW jobs for local job seakers as well as a projected 2.4 million dollars annually in retail sales tax revenue.
4. Walmart is building a Super Center in La Vergne.The new store would be built near the corner of Murfreesboro and Fergus roads, and city officials say it would add about 400 new jobs to the community.
5.Retailer Saks Inc., which runs Saks Fifth Avenue, added a new distribution center in the old Borders Group building in 2012. The addition of this business brought 250 more jobs to La Vergne.
6. Nacarato Truck Sales Built a new facility in La Vergne. Sitting on 92 acres off Interstate 24 just outside Nashville, TN, the new Nacarato Volvo Trucks dealership incorporates a host of different features designed to improve the productivity of its 55 or so technicians and those shorten repair times for customers.
7. Two inch water lines are being upgraded to six inch lines to accomodate fire hydrants and replace old worn out lines. Approximately 27 streets in La Vergne will be seeing these water line replacements. Home owners should check with their insurance company to see if they are eligible for a reduction in their insurance premiums. Most insurance company’s give a reduction if your home is within 1000 feet of a fire hydrant.the streets receiving new lines will also be freshly paved afterwards.
8. The improvements in our City police department are paying off. La Vergne has been named one of the SAFEST City’s in Tennessee. All police department supervisors have attended Northwestern School of Police Staff and Command. One supervisor has completed the FBI NAtional Academy. One Detective is attending the TBI Academy. The police department has added 2 new K-9 Units. The creation of a community Liason Officer to promote better relationships with the community. The City of La Vergne hired a new police chief in 2011 to bring the City police department up to speed, one who brings years of top-level experience in law enforcement to the community.
9. City streets are now on a ten year paving schedule. Many streets have already been paved.
10.La Vergne has been named one of the top places for home ownership in Tennessee by NerdWallet, a consumer-advocacy website.La Vergne was ranked as the seventh best place in Tennessee. Sara Collins with NerdWallet says the city has a home ownership rate of 76.3 percent, and median monthly homeowner costs are $1,222. La Vergne grew by 6.9 percent between 2010 and 2012.
"A Progressive LaVergne",