City Wide Trash Service?

garbageAt the Board of Mayor and Aldermen workshop this past week, a special guest addressed our elected officials about the possibility of bringing in a city-wide trash service.  Right now we have probably a dozen (give or take) private companies that go around picking up your garbage. We’ve all seen the rough looking unmarked trucks with wood sides lumbering down the road.  Many seem to be very responsible in covering the loads, but others fly through streets with trash flying out the back.

Personally, we haul our trash to the convenience center every week or two at no cost except the price of gas.  But the city now has an option of issuing a Request for Proposal (RFP) inviting waste service companies to provide trash collection services (including recycling) to the entire city of LaVergne.  A couple of points to note:

1. A garbage truck would come through your neighborhood one day a week (although recycling would be on another day) rather than six or twelve trucks a week from six or twelve companies. Which means trash bins would be out one day a week rather than scattered throughout different days for different companies.
  2. People constantly contact City Hall according to the Chamber of Commerce about when garbage pick-up day is.  It is the top question of people seeking to relocate here.

Make no mistake – this will cost residents.  He did not name a price because when you bid you don’t want competitors to know your price so they can undercut you.  But our estimates is that the price would be somewhere between $11 and $20 per month per household and it would likely be another line item on your water/sewer bill.  Mayor Senna Mosley said at the meeting, “If you are hearing this and live in LaVergne, we want to hear from you.  Please email us your opinion about whether you want this or not.”

If you would like to email your opinion, all email addresses for the city are initial of first name and full last name with @lavergnetn.gov after it.

Mayor Senna Mosley:  smosley (at) lavergnetn (dot) gov
Vice Mayor Chris Farmer: cfarmer
Alderman Tom Broeker:  tbroeker
Alderman Sherry Green:  sgreen
Alderman Dennis Waldron:  dwaldron

Word has it that some of our elected officials don’t check their emails so you can call those folks to let them know what you think.

PLEASE DO NOT turn this post into a discussion about the water and sewer rates.  They went up. You hate them. You want to complain. We get that. But there are other sites dedicated to that and this is not one of them.  Just let us know what you think about whether you want to see city-wide trash pick-up service and if you would be willing to pay a fee for it.

Let’s throw in a quick poll and hope PollDaddy doesn’t lose it!

Thank you LaVergne!

14 comments for “City Wide Trash Service?

1. Stuart Stephens
    March 2, 2013 at 9:16 am

I would love for us to have city-wide garbage pick up, especially if that means some of the money stays in the city! I am already paying a private company to haul my garbage and while they are reliable and do a good job I would rather pay the city.

Another concern this post rises is that some of our elected officials are not checking their emails…really? It is 2013 people, email is not going away and it is a great form of communication.

Thanks for reading!

• cris
      March 10, 2013 at 1:05 am

i was thinking the same thinga bout the emails.

2. Kim K
    March 2, 2013 at 9:28 am

Would love to see this.

3. shelley henkle
    March 2, 2013 at 9:45 am

My family would love to have city wide trash pick up

4. Mayor Senna Mosley
    March 2, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Thank you This Is La Vergne for getting your facts straight on city issues. I received a phone call from Waste Industries last week regarding trash pickup in our area. I have been asked numerous times about recycling and unified trash collection for the city. I have really never considered looking into it at this point, but I do not refuse businesses the opportunity to give the citizens of La Vergne information. In this case I want to hear from the majority what their wishes would be for trash collection.

I am very happy with my service; however, this is not about just me. As in all issues with the city, elected officials have to look at big picture. Again, I do ask for citizens to please give us their opinion regarding this matter.

I received a phone call this morning stating that someone was at the convenience center handing out totally FALSE information. The Mayor IS NOT – I repeat is not – getting rid of the convenience center. The convenience center is a county service not a city service. We have an email from Mac Nolen, Solid Waste and Landfill Director, stating: The Convenience Center would NOT be going anywhere! It would be needed for items that any trash company could not pick up.

The MAYOR has not chosen one company to collect trash. The Mayor CANNOT do anything without a vote from the entire board. So whoever was standing at the center this morning, you my friend were spreading lies and have no clue what is going on in this city. Again deceit and deception filled with hatred by certain people swarm our great city. Ever wonder why this city has such a hard time moving forward?

5. vicki Walker
    March 2, 2013 at 12:39 pm

We have backdoor service with JC Disposal for 17.99 a month. No hauling can to curb. If they can beat that I would be in

6. March 2, 2013 at 2:08 pm

The only issue I see with this is the fact that it would certainly harm private companies, either their profit and/or their ability to employ workers. This is especially damaging to independent contractors who would certainly be put out of work if there was a city-wide and city run pick up service.

On the other hand this does consolidate trash pickup and reduce the amount of garbage that gets left out on the streets.

I would suggest a compromise that if a city-wide service is set up that they employ those whom they would be putting out of business at the very least. The economy is still in the dumps and unemployment is still at an all time high. Putting more people out of work for the sake of convenience isn’t the way forward.

7. Jacki Boone
    March 2, 2013 at 10:30 pm

I say dont fix what is not broken. I like things just the way they are, and see no reason to change. All the comments I have read here just proves that there really is nothing wrong with the current system. Some people like to change things, just to change them. My opinion–we have far too many things that are broken and need fixed, to spend our time and energy fixing the things that are not broken in the first place.

8. Don McEwen
    March 4, 2013 at 11:16 am

Why do we need another unrepresented tax burden? Ok, so it isn’t a tax burden, but why would anyone want to pay for a service when Rutherford County has several convenience centers around the county where you can take just about anything you to need to dispose of in the way of household trash and garbafe. Then there is the county chipping center on Florence Rd for yard waste. These are already available and already paid for by the taxes and service fees we pay.
    I have lived in Lavergne for over 20 yrs and have hauled my trash and garbage for over 20 years. So I guess from all of this that I ain’t in favor of paying city garbage pick up.
    Thank you, Senna, for posting your letter and comments regarding the status of the convenience centers.
    Respectfully,

Don McEwen

9. angela hall
    March 4, 2013 at 4:00 pm

our family has done both. We have used a trash company in the past but decided to start taking trash to the dump to save that money each month. I like having the option to take it there so I would have to say no to the curbside. If it is something that is changed I would like to see a recycling program included with the monthly charges. Maybe something similar to recyclebank?

10. Deb Lambert
    March 4, 2013 at 4:54 pm

I have lived here 17 years and have always had a choice of providers. I started out with a nationwide company, after a price increase I changed to a smaller, local trash service and have been satisfied with their service.

11. Mayor Senna Mosley
    March 7, 2013 at 11:15 am

Many thanks to all of you for voicing your opinion on this matter and being respectful while doing so. We do listen to your opinions and our board works very hard to make discussions that benefits the majority of the 33,000 citizens that call La Vergne home. I assure you that we DO NOT want to add any more financial burdens on our citizens, but this was brought to us as a money saver for the citizens. Many good questions were asked and many more need to be asked if we even decide to look further into this matter. At this time, the board has not given any further consideration into looking at our trash collection process. I do believe however, that an opt in or out opition would be the way to go if the city were to consider this at all. Mr. McEwen, my husband would be at the top of the list for my head if I even consided not having the convenience center. And for the record I have a wonderful Trash Service and certainly enjoy back door pick-up. I just want what is best for all of you!!

12. Thomas
    March 16, 2013 at 5:00 pm

City provided trash service is a bad idea. We have a dozen or so private companies currently providing this service because of competition. If my trash service provider slips, I get to fire them and hire someone else. Not with city service though. Nope, still gotta pay the fee if you don’t like the service or don’t even want it.

This is essentially just another tax hike. The City of LaVergne should be doing ONLY what they should and no more. Growing government into doing all these other services is more waste and removes market-driven competition.

13. emad BEN
    June 11, 2015 at 9:34 pm

hi please i need some body pike up my trash i don’t how this work i just moved to la vergne 615 8368754 my address 511 graySON ct la vergne tn 37086 thanks o much