Coffee with Cream and a Side of Exploitation

Yesterday local residents suffered a terrible loss when a member of their family tragically died in a fire.  According to news reports, the fire department was dispatched around 6:30 in the morning.  The mobile home was heavily damaged, one person was injured, and another died, perhaps in one of the worst ways possible. Please allow us to express our sympathies to the family.

There were numerous fire and police personnel on the scene, as well as volunteers to provide rehab services (give gatorade, water, coffee, food, heat, etc. to the responders who were on the scene for nearly eight hours).

Meanwhile at TeeGees, a conversation took place.  Witnesses said Alderman Dennis Waldron and “company” came in a started talking trash about the tragedy.  These were some of the comments:

“I didn’t know the city had that many vehicles.”

“They had the damn road blocked for no reason.”

“I wish they learn how to run a emergency sitchation [sic] like a city is supposed to.”

Someone lost their life in this horrible fire and these customers decided to exploit the tragedy to talk about the Mayor, her husband, and the emergency workers who risk their lives every single day to keep us safe.  Is their hatred of the city so great that they can’t stop hurling insults long enough to show a little respect for the family and friends of the fire victim?

Speaking of hurling insults, many of us who live in this city have had it UP TO HERE with these same people tossing around the “N” word to their friends just loud enough for others to hear them.  It is not funny.  It is not sly.  What you show us is your absolute ignorance and – again – hatred of this city and its residents.  Their behavior and their words are despicable.

The question is, what can we  do about it?   First, the restaurant needs our support.  We all need to start going there for breakfast and lunch and show that WE are LaVergne.  The more of us that are there, the less vocal they will be.  And if they continue to be vocal in such a hideous way, let’s lay it out on the table – who said what. Take pictures. Take notes.  Tell your families. Tell your neighbors.  They should be exposed for how they really feel about our community and our residents.  You don’t have to be on this side or that side to know that it is just plain wrong to exploit the death of someone precious in a deadly fire.  You don’t have to be on this side or that side to know that tossing out the “N” word in casual conversation is unacceptable.

If you are of that “company,” please know that you have been put on notice.  We are watching.  We are listening.  WE are LaVergne and we are not going to take your belittling public comments about our city sitting down.

22 comments for “Coffee with Cream and a Side of Exploitation

1. tony vanatta
    February 12, 2013 at 8:12 pm

im lost for words ,, just lost

2. Elizabeth Murphy
    February 12, 2013 at 8:31 pm

This is despicable and I’m embarrassed to say I live in La Vergne.

3. Senna Mosley
    February 12, 2013 at 8:31 pm

La Vergne suffered a great loss yesterday morning. My prayers go out to the family and friends of this citizen. What people do not realize is that the emergency personnel suffer as well. They must live everyday with that scene in their mind. Believe me it never goes away. They cry when they think no one is looking not because they are too proud or a man, but because it is their own private pain that they must deal with in their own way. To have people mock and question their efforts enrages me. I am so sick of certain people mouthing about my husband and the work he does. For their information he was not on the scene because he was sick. He does not stick his nose in, but he will help anyone that needs or asks for his help. Which is much more than you mouthers do at Tee Gees. An elected official should be taking up for the good being done not sitting and mouthing because he can’t do it himself. I am so tired of people mouthing about the GREAT work our firefighters perform, our police officers perform, and our entire city staff performs. They can do their jobs now because 1.) They have the equipment they have needed for years 2.) They do not have politicians telling them how to do their jobs 3.) Qualified people in the right positions. If you have something to say about me or our city, say it to my face. Wait that takes what you do not have. Come on down and see me and I will loan you a pair! I am not afraid to make those hard decisions that need to be made to move this city forward.

• Laura
      February 12, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Big hugs from Dylan!

• CAT
      February 12, 2013 at 9:00 pm

If Dennis Waldron made the comments …1) he should know how many vehicals La Vergne has, he an Alderman …2} he should have stopped and ask if he could do anything being a City official and 3) if the situation was not handled correctly why didnt he call Senna and discuss instead of trash talking about it?? …oh I know, because everything was handled correctly….some has “little man syndrome”..

4. Laura
    February 12, 2013 at 8:35 pm

How sad and pathetic. So I guess eating breakfast was far more important than maybe going to see if any assistance could be given or maybe just offer support? I don’t believe the Police, Fire Department, or even Box 100 volunteers just go out to hang around and cause a traffic problems just to have fun. They were doing their jobs! How dare anyone take time to be so mean when someone has died, one person injured and home lost! Fine you don’t like the Mayor but this was not something that your meanness and hatred should be aimed at. They were doing their jobs and doing a dern good job! Why don’t you worry about cleaning up that junk yard if you can’t offer positive assistance elsewhere.
    Senna at least tries to help people regardless of how they feel about her.
    As far as the use of that word, evil at it’s best.

5. Reed
    February 12, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Road wasn’t blocked. LFD had three engines at most on scene, Lpd had a few officers on scene and covered all “just in case” bases as any police department should have done in an unexplained fire with a fatality. Pretty sure this situation was handled about as well as it could have been. But kudos to the moron sitting at a table eatin biscuits while runnin his mouth about something he is clueless on. True politician.

• Laura
      February 12, 2013 at 9:11 pm

He has nothing better to do and apparently nor do the others

• Senna Mosley
      February 12, 2013 at 9:21 pm

They don’t understand ICS. Maybe if he had taken the classes he claimed he had taken he would understand. So lets fill him in. That means Incident Command System. At a fire/or any emergency scene, the incident commander can close any road, secure any areas etc. that he deems necessary to control the scene. Again safety is not understood by certain people. Like you said it is very easy to sit at a table, drink coffee,eat breakfast and be a back seat driver while nice and warm.

6. Rich Long
    February 12, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Wow. I saw the same attitudes during the flood of 2010. Lets talk about things that were not handled correctly! I saw things that made me cringe but sadly j.q. Public never sees, hears, or in some cases understand this stuff. It’s not a game, you are dealing with people’s lives.

I’m so sorry your road was blocked… Sorry must have sucked for the whole 5 minutes you took to go around but try (and I know it’s hard) to think of the fireman who is wearing 90lbs of gear in a fire that is burning around you at about a 1000 degrees and then witnesses such a horrific sight. Yeah being 5 minutes late for breakfast ruined your day. You suck.

7. Brittany
    February 12, 2013 at 9:34 pm

If they have that many issues then it’s time they take their trash talking butts and move somewhere else.

8. tony vanatta
    February 12, 2013 at 9:40 pm

like i said he is one slice of bacon from a heart attack ,im sure a road would have to be blocked just to get him, out ,,,

9. February 12, 2013 at 10:09 pm

I think it is appalling to complain that the streets were blocked. I guarantee that Mr. Waldron would not care about the congestion of the roadways if it were one of his family members. Obviously, he needs to look up the definition of the word compassion in the dictionary. My parents always taught me to keep my mouth shut if I had nothing nice to say. As for me, I would like to express my deepest sympathies to the family. May God bless them at this tough time.

10. J
    February 12, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Gee so ‘shocked’ at his attitude….. All he and his cronies have ever cared about is how they can exploit the resources of the city for their own gain. Maybe if more people here about this and other stories like this they will stop voting for them just because they give away free cheap hot dogs and bbq before the elections. Maybe then we can start using those resources for something like educating or under educated children!

11. Trish Wameling
    February 12, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Senna, I am so proud to have voted for you. Waldron, on the other hand, I’d like to take my vote back now.

12. CMF
    February 13, 2013 at 7:22 am

Dear Dennis you fat gelatinous slob,

When you get off you A$$ and do something for another human being then and only then would you remotely have a complaint!! I hope to god none of these Emergency personnel have to come help you at any point because the city’s workers comp will go up when they throw their backs out trying to help you up!!

HERE’S AN IDEA WHY DON’T WE APPROACH THE ABOUT CHANGING THE NAME OF WALDRON ROAD?? WHO WANTS IT TO STAY NAMED THAT? WHY NOT MAKE IT MARTIN LUTHER KING BLVD? LETS HONOR SOMEONE WHO DESERVES IT!!!!!

• Lola D.
      February 13, 2013 at 7:27 am

I heard the road is named after either Vester Waldron or his father Emmett Waldron, both very respectable people who did a lot on behalf of this town (Mr. Emmett Waldron was especially kind to the people who lived here). I personally wouldn’t want to see those two shown any kind of disrespect because a great nephew/cousin/whatever has the same name.

13. auntyoya
    February 13, 2013 at 8:31 am

This is just down right sickening to read. In this day and time with all the tragedies happening so very often in every state, to read that people can project such hatred during our very own local tragedy makes me nauseous! When a city’s representative is bashing one of the city’s own resident’s tragedy and the emergency responders I say he is NOT representing me nor anyone I know! He needs to step down and should be beyond ashamed, although I’m quite sure he isn’t! I would love to support local business and frequent Tee Gee’s but I don’t trust myself to come face to face with this group and not tell them exactly how I feel and where exactly they can shove their nasty comments about the citizens and leaders of our great city! God Bless the Family, the Emergency Responders, the Volunteers, the Mosleys, and All of us that live and work in this city that have to listen to that kind of hatred from small minded imbeciles!

14. Glenn
    February 13, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Tee Gees seems to be the place that is frequented by the people who want their ‘Old Lavergne’ back. This is evident by the Alderman who eats there. These people are against a progressive expansion of infrastructure which has been evident in the attitude towards the progress that this town has made already. By the election that was just had in November, there are still a majority of residents who share this mindset and until it does and those like Waldron are still elected to office, our city will struggle to be the progressive city that it has the potential to be.

February 13, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Wow, I am completely shocked at so many things here:

- First off can we get a little more info on these supposed “witnesses? Who said what? Dennis Waldron has just been tried, convicted, and executed in the court of public opinion when none of you have any idea of what really was said, if anything. I believe this is at best gossip, and at worst libel.

- Those of you saying Waldron should have been there helping, I for one am glad that Dennis Waldron was not at the scene. Why? Because he is not qualified to deal with this type of incident. If you have to take your child to the emergency room, do you want to see the doctor or do you want to see the HR manager? You want the doctor, the one who is qualified to help you.

- Do we know, did Dennis Waldron complain about the road being blocked or did someone else complain? Did the complainer know that there was a fatality? Who here has not been late getting somewhere because of an emergency in the road and been mad about it in the heat of the moment, only to feel bad later when you found out there was a true emergency? Who here has ever grumbled about something only to regret it later? Be glad you didn’t grumble within earshot of the TILV “witnesses” or else you’d be blasted here too.

- I find it interesting to see the comments calling Waldron a fat slob, a racist, one slice of bacon from a heart attack, etc.. Seems like not long ago this site was complaining about bullying. Well, so kids should not be jerks to other kids, but its ok for adults to be jerks to other adults? Great example here guys.

Again, I am not here to carry water for Dennis Waldron. Everything said here may be 100% accurate and I have no way to prove or disprove it. But how do you know? Senna Moseley is right, if you have a problem with her you can take it up with her. Have any of you called Dennis Waldron to ask for his comments on this?

• Laura
      February 14, 2013 at 6:59 am

First i agree he is not trained in emergency response. No one is asking him to so medical procedures. He could have at least stopped an asked if anything he could do We know he is not trained as he has nit taken any of the classes he so claims to have

Second i don’t care if he ever uttered a word, if said in his presence he should condemn, especially with the use of the one word that was mentioned.

Sure we have all grumbled when late but when i see emergency personnel on the scene i am not going to complain because they are there or had road blocked. There is obviously a reason. Now inwill claim if i see traffic stopped for no apparent reason except someone has a flat tire.

Then it seems funny tbat other sites can have witnesses and they do mot get questioned. Sounds like you’re carrying water to me.

16. Glenn
    February 14, 2013 at 7:23 am

If you think this is libel, you should read the concerned citizens page on facebook.