Let’s all keep the people in our prayers over these next few days who are dealing with the severe weather, including wind, wind driven rain, flooding, blizzard, and snow.Â This storm is frightening to watch from hundreds of miles away, so you can only imagine how awful it must be for those who are living through it.
The worst weather I’ve experienced have been a massive ice storm and the flooding of 2010 right here in LaVergne.Â During the ice storm, you could walk outside and listen to branches snapping and trees falling.Â Then in May two and a half years ago, water was halfway up our yard approaching the front porch before the rain finally stopped.Â We were the very lucky ones.Â Do you have any storm stories to share?Â What’s the worst storm you experienced?
Would you be ready in a weather emergency?
- Make sure you have enough food stocked up, particularly food that doesn’t require heat if power goes out.
- Fresh water! Have it!
- If you take medicine, make sure you have a good supply saved and it wouldn’t hurt to put your meds in a ziploc bag.
- Have flashlights, candles, and extra batteries.
- If you are asked to evacuate, do so.Â These recommendations are not made lightly, ever. So if severe weather is approaching come up with an evacuation plan in advance. Take your family or friend up on their offer to let you stay.
- Don’t forget your pets! Make sure they have a place to go, too. Or take them with you, if possible.
Please share your tips and weather stories, LaVergne. And again, our prayers to the people now living through this horrible weather.