The List Might be Some Interesting Reading

A long time ago, my old hometown newspaper would publish the names of delinquent taxpayers. I was always embarrassed that my uncle made the list every single year.  I don’t know why he never paid his taxes on time, but he didn’t.  He did always end up squaring up on the money owed, though.  Like my old hometown, it looks like the city is going down the same road by publishing the names of delinquent taxpayers.  Instead of printing them in the newspaper, though, they’ll be published online.

I say good for you, LaVergne!  I pay my taxes on time, so why shouldn’t other people?  Our tax bill came in the mail in October and we had until the end of February to pay up.  That’s about five months to pay.  Then at the beginning of March (26 days ago) a reminder notice was sent to people who had not yet paid.  So in all people are given six months to pay.  If money is still owed a year and a half later, the city turns it over to the Chancery Court in accordance with state law.

Don’t get me wrong. I know paying taxes is never popular, but it’s what we as a society are tasked with in order to have schools, roads, police, fire protection, and other vital services.  So why should people who owe money have that sitting in their their bank accounts – collecting interest that the city should be earning on behalf of the rest of us taxpayers – while the rest of us paid on time?

The list that will supposedly be published next week will be an interesting one indeed!

Ivy says: Generally, I like taxes. They buy civilization.

12 comments for “The List Might be Some Interesting Reading

1. Jessi
    March 26, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I agree, if some can manage to pay their taxes in the allotted time, all should be able to, since there is more than enough time given. Its not like they ask you to pay an ungodly amount within a 30 day period. AND, most of us file our personal income taxes in the end of Jan or first part of Feb. I understand that not everyone gets a refund, but those that do could use part of their refund to pay property taxes. I do think that the city should attempt to offer a bit more in the future for the amount of taxes we pay. Yes, we have the chipper service (which we might see about twice a month) and I have noticed a street sweeper come around roughly once or twice a month. I understand that we have our emergency services, but the city doesn’t provide street lights in our neighborhoods (you have to pay extra for those if you want one that isn’t already there), we have to haul our trash, or pay out privately to have it picked up…. I’m sure you get my drift. I am not saying that this should happen right now, as I know that our taxes recently increased to help offset a budget issue. I am just throwing some ideas out there for future use. 🙂

2. March 26, 2012 at 7:12 pm

I can understand the rationale after 5 months the names being publicized. If any of these are businesses are the business owners names listed or the business name listed?

3. Jen
    March 26, 2012 at 8:10 pm

To the best of my knowledge my hometown still prints the list of delinquent taxpayers in the local newspaper. They’ve been a city for over 200 years and found out that shaming people in public works. You go, La Vergne! You’re new to the game but you’re catching on good.

4. Stu
    March 27, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Maybe they can take this a step further and rent an electronic billboard and have names flash across the screen for all to admire. I bet that would get the delinquent folks to step up and pay their fair share.

5. Angie
    March 27, 2012 at 10:52 pm

This is just another way the city is trying to embarass people who cannot afford to pay this tax increase. Shame on you mayor mosley. You are the root to all the problems in lavergne

• will
      March 28, 2012 at 7:23 am

The “good old boys” of past administrations put us in the position we are in. If they hadn’t given away the farm to a to be unnamed subdivision developer of Holigan, Lake Forest, whatever you want to call it, we might be in better shape.

• Cee Dee
        March 28, 2012 at 1:09 pm

AMEN!!!!!!

• neal-n-bob
      March 28, 2012 at 9:06 am

Angie. I would say that people like YOU are the root of the problem! Step up and help fix the problems or……here it comes…..shut your mouth and quit spreading hate and MOVE! WE DON’T WANT YOU HERE ANYWAY!

• Leanne
        March 31, 2012 at 8:27 am

STOP THE HATE!!!!!

6. Liberty
    March 28, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Great thing about paying a mortgage, that gets paid in october every yr till it’s paid off 🙂

7. Puck R. Upp
    March 30, 2012 at 8:40 am

I have been reading in a lot of different places the outrage about the city doing this to embarrass people. Here’s my take on it… these people with unpaid taxes are using the same city services the rest of us are – without paying. Fire, police, parks all come at a cost and it’s not fair for everyone else to pay when some don’t. When unpaid taxes go to chancery court, it’s rare the city gets the money back. So there is a half million dollars sitting out there that the city could use to pay for fire, police, parks. Doesn’t everyone want a playground in Lake Forest? The amount due this year alone would pay for 20 parks! Also what good does it do people have asked? By bringing it the attention of the public, guess what’s happening? According to the tax department, the money is finally rolling in. Money that in the past that would go uncollected. So don’t give me the whiny “it doesn’t do anything but embarrass people” river of tears. I applaud the city for taking this step and getting people to pay their fair share like the rest of us!

8. Leanne
    March 31, 2012 at 8:37 am

When I questioned the tax delinquency in May of 2011 I was told the city of La Vergne has a 4% delinquency ratio.

Is that still the case?