What You Ought To Know About La Vergne Water Billing/Water Department

The ladies who work over in the Water Billing Department are some of the nicest city employees we have. And I have seen them deal with some VERY irate people in an incredibly professional and kind manner. I am so proud to say I know them. I had the chance to sit down with the Water Billing Supervisor, Mary Martin, earlier this week and I told her I was going to put a post up on TiLV to hopefully help Google guide people to the right number to call if you want to pay your water bill.

See, it appears that if you Google “La Vergne Water Department“, Google very unhelpfully tells people the wrong number, and furthermore directs them to a number at a building where the people who work there are unable to transfer them to Water Billing. So let me tell you the number to La Vergne Water Billing, the number you want to call if you want to pay your bill, connect or disconnect service, ask a question about your bill, etc, etc, etc. Are you ready? Grab a pen and paper, store it in your phone, whatever. The number is:

615-793-5932

Stop jumping up and down with excitement. I knew you wanted to know the secret number to water billing for years. Now you have it.

But while we’re chatting, here are a few other things you ought to know about La Vergne Water Billing.

There are several ways you can pay.

Free:

Automatic Draft– come to the water billing window which is, by the way, located at City Hall at 5093 Murfreesboro Road here in La Vergne, and fill out an ACH form and give them a voided blank check and they will auto-draft your account each month for the amount you owe, on your due date. Never pay a late fee again!

Online banking through your own bank– most banks offer free online banking. Some banks send a hard check for you and some banks actually do a kind of auto-transfer, Mary mentioned Suntrust. Check with your bank to be sure it will get there in time so you don’t miss your due date.

Ivy sez: Pay yo' bill! It's good for your heart!

Free-ish:

Drop off a check or money order: Or cash, but you can only do that during normal business hours which are 8 AM – 4:30 PM Monday through Friday. If you are like me and are at work during those hours, there is a conveniently located after hours dropoff box, pictured above. That’s around the right hand side of City Hall right next to the drive-thru water billing window. I call this free-ish because it’ll cost you some gas money unless you are like me and like to hang out at City Hall and happen to be there anyway.

Mail a check: The old fashioned way. Chances are good the La Vergne Post Office will get your bill there. I know a few folks that work there, they’re good people, haha. The cost on that is whatever a stamp costs. I don’t know, either, it keeps changing. But here is the address to mail it to:

La Vergne Water Billing Department
5093 Murfreesboro Road
La Vergne, TN 37086

$4:

Pay by phone: Call 793-5932 to pay your bill over the phone with a credit or debit card.

Pay online: Here is the link to pay your La Vergne Water Bill online. I would be willing to bet this requires your account number.

Here are some other things you oughta know about water billing:

They are now doing courtesy calls the day before cutoff day, if you are on the cutoff list. This has, I hear, saved a whole lot of people money getting their water cut off and of course saves our employees having to trek out to someone’s house to cut them off, and go back to cut it back one once the customer has paid. Way to go, La Vergne, in thinking of a way to save everyone some trouble! If your phone number has changed since you first set up your account, you can email your account number or service address and your new phone number to ttaylor@lavergnetn.gov or you can always call the water billing department at 793-5932.

Did you know?

There are over 12,000 water meters in the City of La Vergne. We have 5 meter readers and 4 people working in water billing. So if you are having a hard time getting through, especially on Wednesdays, please be patient! Lots of other people are trying to call. Nobody at any of the other city numbers that are listed on the La Vergne website, have access to your water bills. Only the fine folks at water billing do, so if you call codes or public works or the water treatment plant, they really, truly do not have access to your bill and cannot help you with your bill.

Sometimes you’ll see meter readers out and about, and they’ll go over to the house across the street from you and then maybe a house down the street. You might wonder, why didn’t they read my meter? Chances are good that they aren’t out reading meters at that time. They are either doing cutoffs, or cutting people’s water back on, or maybe they are out re-reading someone’s meter at their request. My meter reader buddies want to assure you that EVERYONE’S meter gets read EVERY billing cycle.

You can get an adjustment on your bill once a year on the sewer portion of your bill if you have a swimming pool, when you fill the pool. The way to get this is to read your own meter before you fill the pool, write that number down, then read the meter again once you are finished filling the pool, and write that number down. Carry those numbers up to water billing and they will make an adjustment on your water bill according to the water used.

If you have a water softener and you get an unusually high bill, this could be because people’s water softeners sometimes get stuck in a rewash cycle. When that happens that uses up a ton of water and unfortunately, an adjustment cannot be made. Additionally, leaky water softeners cannot be adjusted on the bill.

If you have an irrigation system, you cannot get your bill adjusted, however, you CAN have a second meter installed that measures the water used for the irrigation system. It costs between $500-600, however if you have the second meter you will be billed only for water and not for sewer, for water used on that line. For more questions about that, call the water billing department at 793-5932 to get more information.

Eleven hundred words on water, and that only covers the billing department. I could throw another thousand at you about water treatment, sewer collections, cross connections or any of the other fascinating aspects of water that affect us every day but rarely enter our minds.

Tell me, La Vergne, what are your watery thoughts?

"What You Ought To Know About La Vergne Water Billing/Water Department", 5 out of 5 based on 1 ratings.

13 comments for “What You Ought To Know About La Vergne Water Billing/Water Department

1. Linda
    February 29, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Over 12,000 meters in La Vergne???? Is that way over 12,000??? Doesn’t every home have their own meter? How does it work for Apartments, one meter for all units? Just a few curious questions?

February 29, 2012 at 10:07 pm

I don’t think it’s way over 12,000. Most apartment complexes do have one meter for the whole complex. Every home does have its own meter, most businesses have their own meter as well although there are several businesses in strip malls that all share one meter. If you look at the 12,000 meters solely in terms of population, that’s an average of 2.7 (ish? I’m doing the math in my head) people per household. But, I’d say a good 700 of those meters are not residential, sooo….idk the actual average.

February 29, 2012 at 11:42 pm

Great post, Ivy. I just have one small thing to add. I’ve read on other sites that people have trouble using the on-line payment system. You have to look carefully at the format required to type in your account number. It’s NOT the same as the account number printed on your bill. Personally, I have to add in a leading zero or the site won’t recognize my account number. Not sure why it’s like this – probably something to do with the payment program and not the water department itself.

• Liberty
      March 1, 2012 at 7:18 am

Have to do it too, and it is worth every penny, if i don’t have to get in my car and drive down there. Even though I’m around the corner almost 5 out of 7 days a week….lol….

March 1, 2012 at 7:50 am

Thanks, Sherry, I had no idea about this since I’ve never used the online system to pay. :)

3. auntyoya
    March 1, 2012 at 7:59 am

So very informative!! Good Job Ivy! I used to just drop mine off every month with the nice ladies at the drive thru window but I hate writing checks so now I use the online bill pay through my bank so I feel like I’m getting some use out of the monthly fee my bank charges since I don’t have direct deposit!!!

4. Cricket123
    March 1, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Question – Is it harmful to drive over water meters? Aren’t they protected by a concrete sleeve?

March 1, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I don’t know, but I would not do that, lol. I will ask and see what I can find out.

• Kathy T.
        March 1, 2012 at 10:11 pm

We do have an ordinance in LaVergne that if you break a water meter, you pay for it. So I’d try really hard to not run over it.

• Cricket123
          March 3, 2012 at 2:11 am

This was not done on purpose, I promise!

• Kathy T.
            March 3, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I got your email… will see about getting someone out there with me to look at it next week!!

5. May 23, 2015 at 3:10 am

I am so frustrated & angry with LaVergne Water Department! For the second time I received AN OUTRAGEOUS water bill and for the second time I PAID to have professionals test/search for a leak/source. Once I presented proof that there is NO LEAK. I WAS REFUSED AN ADJUSTMENT TO THE BILL & will be CHARGED ANOTHER $50 if the meters NOT bad/or no obvious malfunction.. WTH? My BILL WENT from $40 to $212. 00, REALLY? I work 16 to 20 hour days HOW DO I GET A $212.00 WATWR BILL? STILL ALL I CAN HERE IS WHAT WATER the WATER BILLING DEPT. CAN’T DO! NO MATTER HOW WRONG they are YOU ARE PAYING THE PRICE! I HATE THIS PISS POOR BUSINESS PRACTICE! IT’S SO NOT CUSTOMER FAIR!

6. D
    June 24, 2015 at 7:39 pm

AMEN Karseem…..!!!!! I so totally agree with you. I have had water service for almost 30 years in the same location and never had any issues until recently and have now had 2 VERY UNPLEASANT experiences and despite what Ivy promotes in her entry, I have yet to speak with a nice person so if any of the people I spoke with are included in “the nicest city employees we have” , that doesn’t say much for our other city employees.
    A few months back I got home Friday evening to find my water had been cut off…I called and spoke with a gentleman who said they had received a request to disconnect it. When I told him we had not made any such request, he came back out & turned it back on and said to call the office on Monday and they’d straighten it out. On Monday morning my husband went to the water dept first thing and was told it was done because the bill was behind ( not because I couldn’t pay it but because I had simply overlooked it) so he was gonna pay it and they would not let him. They told him that the account was in my name and because it had been disconnected, I was going to have to start my service as a NEW customer ( after having service for almost 30 years) and only I could do it and it couldn’t be done over the phone so I had to leave work to go in person. Before I got there, they had someone go out and shut our water off again. When I got there, there was a person in front of me and supposedly only one employee who could help us both so I had to wait almost 30 min… I knew the lady in front of me and she will confirm the wait time….I was then charged a NEW customer fee/ deposit and the amount due which I paid and got a receipt….. I questioned the new customer thing but the hateful girl waiting on me told me that’s just the way it was and then she decided she was going to charge me a reconnection fee and told me if I did not pay it, my water wouldn’t be turned back on even though she had just took my money for being a NEW customer…..how does that happen..?? How can a New customer have to pay a reconnection fee…?? It’s either one or the other..!!!! But, of course, I had to pay it too and did cause ya have no choice & ya can’t fight City Hall !!
    Now for my 2nd unpleasant experience… I got a “courtesy call” yesterday from a not so courteous person who informed me I was scheduled for disconnect today. I replied I would be in Friday and make my payment…. guess what..??? No can do…!!!! She informed me if I didn’t make payment service would be disconnected. I sent my poor husband again first thing (he was there when they opened) this morning to pay it…. when he got there he was told he’d have to pay a reconnection fee even though our water had not been disconnected yet because we were on the list…… Uh, with today’s technology, this is ridiculous..!!! If a person is on the list and pays before disconnection occurs, isn’t there a way to be removed from the list immediately….??? Electric companies & phone companies do it. So again my husband had to go get additional money and return to the water dept with it. I want you to know that AFTER the bill and the reconnection fee were already paid, our service was still disconnected…. guess that was their way of justifying the charge. They did return about an hour and half later and reconnected it. Just think, a simple phone call, email, or text or even a bit of consideration from one of those so nice employees could have saved one employee from having to “trek out to someone’s house to cut them off and trek back to cut it back on”. Especially since it was paid BEFORE it was cut off…..
    I, too, hate this piss poor business practice..!!!