Learn To Drive, La Vergne!

…eh, I’m mostly just kidding. I’ve driven in California, Chicago, and the place where nobody knows how to drive, Florida. And I hear tales that Washington DC out-crappy drivers all of these places a hundredfold. But I figure I might as well hold up my driving pet peeve for all to examine this evening….

And it is this….

I can only drive as fast as the person in front of me. So if there is someone in front of me driving under the speed limit, why is the person behind me tailgating me?

I cannot tell you how much that drives me INSANE. First, I’m already irked at the person in front of me driving slow. And then the person behind me decides to, what, punish me for the guy in front of me who is driving slow? It makes me want to commit all kinds of acts of road rage. But I’m a mild-mannered person generally, so I just rage internally and when the slow driver finally turns, I drive extra fast so the person behind me can see that it was not MY fault that we were going so slow, haha.

What’s your driving pet peeve, La Vergne?

On an only semi-related note, did you see in the last water bill that some paving is FINALLY going to get done? And the people rejoiced! In some ways I like to tee hee about people complaining about the roads but that is only because I am originally from Muncie, Indiana, home of the worst roads on the planet. Anyone who has ever driven there can back me up on this. But our roads, when compared to roads in other Middle Tennessee areas, suck, to put it mildly. I’m so glad to see that some paving is finally getting finished! Anyway, here is a list of what’s getting paved starting in April:

The roads slated for repair work, in order of priority, are:

Old Nashville Highway at Chaney Blvd Intersection
Waldron Road near Mapco
Bridge on Carothers Road
Dick Buchanan Street
Sanford Road, two sections
LaVergne Lane
Holland Ridge
Intersection of Holland Ridge and LaVergne Lane
Knollwood Road
Fergus Road

Residents may contact the Public Works Department at 793-9891 with road concerns, including potholes and street light outages.

So talk about it, Lavergninians! Crappy roads or crappy drivers, let’s hear about it!

16 comments for “Learn To Drive, La Vergne!

1. tony
    February 27, 2012 at 8:06 pm

roads are the least of what i care about im lavergne ,,

2. Marlo
    February 27, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I completely agree with Dick Buchanan!! Any ideas when Nir Schriebman between Tom Hailey and Holland Ridge might get done? You almost have to drive on the complete opposite side of the road to avoid the massive manholes!

February 27, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Marlo, I believe that is the part of Lake Forest that has not yet been accepted by the city. The developer is responsible for finishing the roads in that section of town. From what I understand, the City is busy calling bonds on these developers who have not yet finished the paving for these areas and we should see improvements at some point hopefully soon. I know EXACTLY where you’re talking about and I do not drive that way because of those manholes sticking up. It is NOT SAFE and something really needs to be done about it, however I don’t think at this point the city is responsible for it. :/

• Liberty
        February 28, 2012 at 8:58 pm

The 3 roads coming off it need to be finished too…I live on one of them 🙂 I also drive a really big truck now so I don’t have to dodge them…lol

• Marlo
        February 29, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Thanks, Ivy!! I didn’t know it was the developer – I guess that’s my new thing learned for today!

February 29, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Anytime, I’m here to help. 🙂

3. auntyoya
    February 27, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Woo Hoo!! The people are rejoicing!! I drive on most of these roads and I do grumble and snarl when I hit the unavoidable potholes but on the list I have to say Dick Buchanan is by far the worst!!! Thank You Public Works! I will say my driving pet peeve has to be when you are driving along at the speed limit(singing to LMFAO on the radio) and all of a sudden some non-driver whips right out in front of you and then proceeds to do 15-20 miles UNDER the speed limit, when they clearly could have waited for you to pass as there is no one behind you!! The things that run through my mind at the driver are not very polite so feel free to let your imagination fill in the blanks! Thanks for the updates Ivy and I’ll see ya out on the road!!

February 27, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I hate that too!! Ugh! If you’re gonna pull out in front of me, at least get out of my way! Ha!

4. February 27, 2012 at 8:26 pm

I am very happy with this as two of the major ones that I drive on are on this list. Extremely happy that the bridge on Carothers Rd is on here. That bridge is horrible.

5. Linda
    February 27, 2012 at 9:03 pm

One of my pet peeves is when you are going the allowed speed limit and the jerk behind you is not only tail-gating but then decides to pass you like he is fixing to go somewhere and then there you are sitting right behind him at the light. “WHERE DID YOU THINK YOU WERE GOING BUD” lol And then he is in front but doing the speed limit..go figure

• Kathy T.
      February 27, 2012 at 9:25 pm

I call that going nowhere fast!

February 27, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Haha, I hate that too! I don’t tailgate people, I think that is just asking for a wreck.

• Liberty
      February 28, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Had that happen to me on sandhill a couple of nights ago, and tonight in front of La Vergne Lake Elm…Is there a fire somewhere??? I cant help that the speed limit is 25 and 30 on these rds. I’d love a bumper sticker that says, I do the speed limit cause IT’S THE LAW! So back off!

6. Terry Oakley
    February 28, 2012 at 6:11 am

I am glad the Carothers bridge is on the list, but the road needs to be widened to a full two lanes with a line down the center. I know of a law suit in another county where the county is being sued over contributing to a head on collision where someone was injured. Lets make this a priority before this happens here.

7. Jen
    February 28, 2012 at 9:06 am

how about we convince young brats to turn their music down? I know I feel like an old person screaming “get off my lawn!!!”, but I HATE when the car next to me is making MY car vibrate. Yes, I get it, you have ghetto taste in music, good for you – but I don’t want to hear / feel it!!!

8. KC
    March 21, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Just now seeing this so sorry for the late reply but would love to see the on ramp to the interstate repaired. Everyone is always driving around the potholes to keep from having alignments done all the time.