School Board Zones to be Revisited

The Rutherford County Board of Commissioners agreed tonight to revisit the school and road boards zoning districts.  Carol Cook motioned and Matthew Young seconded to reconvene the redistricting committee to again look at the maps that outline the areas board members serve.

After some intense discussion and with the measure receiving unconditional support from Brad Turner and Rhonda Allen, the motion passed 12-7-1.

ABSTAINING from vote:

Gary Farley, Murfreesboro
Steve Sandlin, Murfreesboro
Jeff Jordan, Murfreesboro
Joyce Ealy, Murfreesboro
Trey Gooch, Murfreesboro
Chantho Sourinho, Murfreesboro

What’s next?  This is LaVergne will be watching WHEN and WHERE the redistricting committee will meet so – this round – people will attend the meetings and committee members will see how important it is that there is fair and equal representation, specifically on the board that serves all the children of Rutherford County.

My sources tell me that the following people should be congratulated for taking a stand in front of the Rutherford County Board of Commissioners on our behalf:  Jason Cole, Ivy Hogan, Carolyn Hickerson, and Tom Broeker.  OUR THANKS TO YOU for standing in front of the microphone and speaking on behalf of residents of LaVergne, Smyrna, Eagleville, Lascassas, Milton, Readyville … the entire county!

Also thanks to Mayor Mosley, Alderman Green, and Alderman Waldron for attending the meeting tonight.

9 comments for “School Board Zones to be Revisited

1. Leanne
    November 18, 2011 at 6:22 am

Even though I have no children…..this is GREAT news for our city!!

Thank you to everyone involved in this major milestone!!!!!

November 18, 2011 at 9:22 am

Why would Doug Shafer abstain from voting on an issue directly affecting his district? Was there any explanation for this?

• Chip
      November 18, 2011 at 10:57 am

I would like to know why as well? It definitley wouldn’t have been a conflict of interest!

November 18, 2011 at 11:11 am

That was my immediate first thought as well, especially since Carol Cook made the motion. (I’ll admit that I really haven’t kept up with this issue, since my only child graduated from LHS last year.)

• Scooter
      November 18, 2011 at 11:22 pm

His explanation had something to do with being a disenfranchised voter thanks to a glitch in the drivers license computer system and the Korean or Vietnam or Iraqi War or even though my constituents asked me to do it, I just can’t support this because it’s happening too fast.

3. Chip
    November 18, 2011 at 10:58 am

Thank you all that went out to the courthouse and called your county commissioners on this matter!

4. Doug Shafer
    November 21, 2011 at 10:40 pm

I am definitely not against looking at the need for rezoning the school board. But I am against a hasty, quickly put together solution.I was asked to propose a motion to redress School and Road Board Zones. I had prepared a motion which would have an ad hoc committee with 2 commissioners, one School Board member, one Road Board member, and 5 citizens of Rutherford County; one each from Murfreesboro, Smyrna, LaVergne, and Rutherford County, and one at large member. This committee would be appointed by the County Commission Steering Committee, and charged with making a recommendation in a timely manner.
    At the last moment another motion was given to Commissioner Cook which wanted a final yes or no vote by December 15, 2011, a time frame of only 28 days. I have seen too many laws or resolutions passed quickly which have not been thought out and later were amended. Examples are the voter ID Law which has disenfranchised many voting Tennesseans, the tax freeze law which would initially allow many wealthy to freeze their property tax, and the DUI trash pick up law which cost Rutherford County approximately $100.000 the first year.Changes need to be made that are fair and just to all and be free of loopholes.
    The following items that must be considered: 1)Elected officials terms cannot be reduced until a new election 2) School board terms are mandated for 4 years 3) Should there be more, fewer, or the same School and Road Board Zones? 4)Should the School and Road Board Zones align with each other? 5)Should they align with the County Commission Districts or should they be redrawn? 6) The county can set Road and School Board zones any time they deem necessary. Why rush this decision when we could take time and consider all the possible problems?
    These are just some questions which need to be answered by December 15, 2011. I could not vote for this motion as presented, but I will work to my utmost ability for a positive recommendation by December 15.

• michaelinLV
      November 22, 2011 at 8:52 am

Doug, thank you for taking time to come on here and address the concerns of we the people.

I can appreciate your perspective on not hastily pushing through a change in the zones, but I have a few concerns too. For one, I am under the impression that this change can only be made once every 10 years? You are of the opinion that this can be done at anytime, but does that not mean that it now needs to be dealt with “hastily” with elections coming up in 2012? Also, while this is just now coming to the attention of us in the public, we elect representatives such as you and Ms. Cook to handle these issues on our behalf. What has you involvement been in drawing the zones thus far?

As far as your other comments, I cannot let you off the hook without a few corrections. First, no one has been disenfrachised by the new voter ID law and you know it. How can a law that has not yet taken effect disenfranchise anyone? Following the multiple examples of voter fraud in Memphis, what is your solution to protect the integrity of our elections? As far as the DUI trash law that cost $100k, if the embarrassment causes someone to not drink and drive next time and lives are saved, I don’t think $100k is too high a cost to pay. But I will ask again, what is your solution?

As my boss says, someone who comes into his office to complain is a whiner. Someone who comes to complain and offer solutions is an assett.

5. Doug Shafer
    November 22, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Michael V.
    I’m not the greatest typist, so please give me a call.192 Morningside Dr. In Smyrna part of phone book.