**URGENT: Needle Found In Tootsie Roll**

Got this urgent media advisory in my email just a few minutes ago:

A concerned father filed a report at the LaVergne Police
Department on Monday evening that his 12-year old child discovered a sewing needle in a
tootsie roll. The child was not injured.

The father said the child went trick-or-treating on the following streets in Lake Forest
Subdivision: Randall Lane, Little John Cove, Jack Patton Cove, and David’s Way (from Randall
Lane to Forest Ridge).

The police advise parents to dispose of any remaining
candy if their children were in this area.

“This is a major concern,” said Chief of Police Mike Walker. “The safety of our children is of the
utmost importance. Sometimes making sure kids are safe may require a drastic measure such
as throwing away Halloween candy. We strongly recommend that parents take this action if
they cannot ensure that the candy is safe for consumption.”

The picture was included in the email but caution is urged with any type of candy and not just tootsie rolls, as candy often comes in mixed bags.

9 comments for “**URGENT: Needle Found In Tootsie Roll**

1. Louis
    November 7, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Do some research on the topic. It is most likely a hoax.

Heck… Google “needle candy” in the News section. Same claim everywhere, yet no one swallows a needle. Hmmm.

November 7, 2011 at 10:07 pm

I took this information directly from the city, who got it from the Chief of Police. Could the parents be hoaxing the city? Sure, but I’d rather be safe than sorry.

2. Adrianne
    November 8, 2011 at 6:23 am

I don’t know which would piss me off more- the thought of someone maliciiously giving needles to trick or treaters or someone making it all up. Probably the latter.

November 8, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Who’s to say it was malicious? Maybe the needle came from the tootsie roll factory? I don’t see anyt reference to whether the packaging was open or not.

Years ago parents would make candy or give out caramel apples on halloween, but that had to stop because people were poisioning the treats. So now we all have to spend an obscene amount of money buying pre-packaged candy and surprisingly we’re still not 100% safe…

November 8, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Making candy or caramel apples is crazy expensive now anyway. It’s like sewing, it used to be cheaper to sew your own clothes, now it’s significantly more expensive to sew your own clothing. The benefit of it, however, is having clothing that fits like coture.

• Sarah N
      November 8, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I can’t see any reason for sewing needles to be present in a Tootsie Roll factory, unless the workers were sewing their own clothing on their breaks.

• Adrianne
      November 8, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Perhaps someone should contact the company that makes Tootsie Rolls, then. I bet they’d be quick to squelch that (for lack of a better pun) needle-in-the-haystack theory. In fact, I bet if this story got some national attention that the person that DID stick a needle in a tootsie roll would be found and prosecuted. If my kid found a sharp object in their candy you can be very sure that I would be knocking on every single door we visited.

It was also my understanding that the “poisoning of Halloween candy” was an urban legend to begin with. I’ll have to look up some news archives for some research, I suppose.

4. Amy Sowney
    November 9, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I hate that Lake Forest is getting bad publicity again.

5. Leanne
    November 9, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Someone will slip up and say something about this to the wrong (right) person and they will be caught.