Board Meeting 11-1-11: On Fire and Sirens

The meeting last night of the Board of Mayor and Aldermen was relatively short, but had a lot of punch. Here are some highlights from one perspective:

Marina and Christian Deason – the mother and daughter who lost their house to a fire last Monday morning – were there with the emergency first responders AND with Connie & Derek Oeser who called 911 and jumped fences to get to the family.  Channel 2 was there, as well, and ran a great story about the family. Wishing we had a link to the video (it was powerful), but here’s the story itself.  17-year old Christian was recognized with a standing ovation as the hero she was for getting her Mom and a family friend out of the house after the baby doll woke her up.  Not all eyes in the crowd were dry after watching the presentation to the Oesers and seeing the family choke up.

So far a handful of clothes have been donated by city workers and neighbors, $100 to the bank fund, and that’s all.  Not even the Red Cross has stepped in and given them vouchers.   If you want to help, the always kind A+ Storage on Murfreesboro Road (next to Tiger Mart at Fergus Road) has donated a storage unit for one month (and discounted after that first month).  They are accepting furniture and household items for the family (see manager Kathy).  OR you can donate money at any First Tennessee Bank for the Deason Family Fire Fund.  They did have insurance, but the challenge now is just having to buy every meal out (they are staying in a hotel), clothes (winter is coming), shoes, toiletries, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

The other interesting item from last night was the vote on the warning system.  Vice Mayor Chris Farmer moved to approve the bid from McCord Communications, but there was no second so the motion failed.  Mayor Senna Mosley then opened the floor for a motion to deny the bid.  Alderman Tom Broeker made the motion to deny the bid, which was seconded by Alderman Dennis Waldron.

The discussion was similar to that of the workshop in that the city WANTS the warning system, but because there is potential funding through grant applications, that MUST be explored first.  My sources tell me that the mayor was told no grant funding was available but she wants to actually try for them – with written, formal applications – first.

To qualify for a grant – even to apply for one – you cannot show on the budget that money is available to pay for something in which a grant is needed.  At the NEXT meeting, it is anticipated that the Siren Warning System will be removed from the ten-year plan. After it is removed, then the city grant writer can begin her task of submitting grants.

Also important to point out, the vote was FOUR to one to deny the McCord bid.  Count it…. one, two, three, FOUR.  We want to thank Chris Farmer for his passion in seeing to the safety of citizens.  We also want to thank ALL board members who voted to hold off on spending that kind of money without first seeking out other funding sources.  So thank you to SENNA MOSLEY, Tom Broeker, Sherry Green, and Dennis Waldron for considering all sides of the warning system issue.  We do hope to get one in the next year that covers the entire town, but truly appreciate you exploring all possible scenarios for funding it.

Finally, at the next meeting the board expects to continue their discussion about a lightning detection alert for Veterans Memorial Park so that people who are outdoors without cell phones (on the field playing ball) will have some warning should severe weather approach.

This is LaVergne… giving proper credit where credit is due.

11 comments for “Board Meeting 11-1-11: On Fire and Sirens

1. auntyoya
    November 2, 2011 at 8:41 am

Woo Hoo!!! KUDOS!!! I do want the siren system but we Definitely need to explore the grant options first. Although you can’t put a price on a life and I am all for anything to help warn everyone, getting it a potentially reduced price would be the best option for the city.

2. Cee Dee
    November 2, 2011 at 9:23 am

Thankss for mentioning the Mayor’s vote as “the others” did not see fit to do so. It seems as tho some folks at City Hall did not do their job in searching for grants, etc. THAT WAS NOT THE MAYOR’S JOB, and the responsible party should be red faced about their neglect! Thank you Mayor for pushing for further investigation into grant money for the system.

• tony vanatta
      November 3, 2011 at 11:21 am

THANK YOU FOR THIS POST.but the grant writer the way i understand it is,she is just now being able to do her own job sent new mayor

3. Jen Strange
    November 2, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I just cleaned out my closet and have clothes I was going to give to Goodwill in their sizes . . . the news article says “The city of La Vergne is accepting donations of clothing and shoes at the parks and recreation building located at 294 Sand Hill Road” but when I Googled that location, it looks like they’re only open during my work hours. (I work in Nashville, so it’s not like I can pop by on lunch.) Does anyone have ideas for how to get them the clothes sooner than later?

November 2, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Jen, email me at ivy (dot) hogan (at) gmail (dot) com and I’ll make arrangements to meet you. I can take them over to parks and rec on my lunch hour.

4. Frank
    November 2, 2011 at 8:05 pm

I find it to be humorous that the This is LaVergne group wants to pretend like they have supported the decision to scrap the sirens for now. The Mayor has been dead set on getting them ever since she became Mayor. Remember what she said at the Town Hall meeting when asked if the city could sharpen their pencil? Three times she said no, that they are raising taxes and they would not cut anything from their plans. This was a huge victory for the citizens of LaVergne. 80% of the board was in favor of the sirens. Public pressure, bringing the issue to the public and offering alternatives has won the argument.

November 2, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Frank, I have supported taking the sirens off the budget for quite some time, you can look back at comments I have made over the months. So don’t even begin to think you know my mind, sir.

• michaelinLV
        November 2, 2011 at 10:31 pm

I know you have been ant-siren Ivy, I was kinda expecting you to chime in on the other topic. You used to love controversey, what happened??

I am glad this was voted down by 4 votes, but still long term I am not a fan. The $600k – $1mil dollars could be used to hire police officers and firefighers, and I think that will contribute more to lives saved than a complex siren system that relies on 20th century technology.

November 3, 2011 at 9:07 am

Michael, I have a lot of personal things going on that makes me avoid drama nowadays. 🙂

• tony vanatta
            November 3, 2011 at 11:26 am

they table them that it..MAYOR dosen’t mind people speaking UP ,but if you can’t do it in a nice way…SHUT UP;

• willis
              November 3, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Tony you are wrong. The system is officially dead. Everyone but Farmer killed it. He is the only one who stuck to the 5 year plan. Now CCoL think they have won a victory. Way to not stay the course guys and ladies.