Big Halloween Weekend in City

Hello LaVergne!  I am Lola D., new writer for the site.  I have lived in this city for more than 12 years and am avidly involved, through good times and bad, through the ups and downs.  No matter what, I LOVE MY CITY and because this site has taken the lead in keeping residents informed about news and events, I begged to be a part of it.  Ivy has kindly allowed me to do this, so big thanks to her!

It is a big big weekend coming up!  Highlights!

Gross Grub
Friday, 3:00 – 4:00 p.m., City Library
This food is a real fright to behold, but delicious to taste!  Plus you can check out books!
“My sources tell me that we like our readers to be educated and informed  about actual facts rather than with made up mamby-pamby stuff! READING is a good way to achieve this!”

Prescription Drug Take Back
Saturday, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m., City Hall
If you have unused or expired prescription medications (pills, liquid, creams), cover your name with marker and drop them off for safe throwaway. A lot of times, we just want to flush old medicines down the toilet, but they can contaminate the water supply when you do that and we don’t want to do that, do we?
“My sources tell me that Channel 5 may be there.”

Trail of Treats
Saturday, 2:00 – 4:00 p.m., Veterans Memorial Park
Come by and visit This is LaVergne during the annual sugar buffet. And hey kids! There will be other games and activities, too.  It’s going to be a great day and we’ll not be hags or ghoulish to our visitors!
“My sources tell me there are going to be really cool giveaways by the Special Ops Trailer, including toys and other cool stuff… They will be accepting donations for the Ricky Quinn Benefit Fund at the location and it would be super sweet if you could chip in a little while you’re there.”

F.O.P. vs. Titans Alumni Football Game
Saturday, 7:00 p.m., LaVergne High School Stadium
This is the big fundraiser for the police department’s philanthropic fund. In addition to other charities, money raised goes toward the Christmas program in which more than 150 LaVergne children received presents and 75 LaVergne families received food last year. Tickets are $10.  If you picked up a free ticket from someone, dig deep in your heart and do the right thing… make a donation to the F.O.P. while there.  Also concessions are provided by Box 100 and they are donating money to our city’s last volunteer firefighter, Ricky Quinn.   If you are truly sincere about wanting to help your neighbors, this is an EASY and FUN way to do it!   Who will be there?  The proof is in the pudding.
“My sources tell me that the police got their butts kicked last year and they are ready for some payback! Go LPD!”

NO HURRICANE CREEK CLEAN-UP
No where, No time, No way
What was a traditional clean-up day over by Hurricane Creek Boat Ramp area off Stones River Road is moot. The city’s new Parks & Recreation Director wisely determined that with everything else going on in the city, it over-extends staff.
“My sources tell me that a clean-up will be rescheduled for the spring.”

Thank you for letting me be a part of This is LaVergne!  I look forward to being here.  😀

Hey Ivy! Can I make this an open thread?

11 comments for “Big Halloween Weekend in City

1. October 28, 2011 at 7:45 am

YAY! Welcome Lola! Will be a great weekend once this rain stops this afternoon!

2. Ivy
    October 28, 2011 at 7:50 am

Open thread it up, Lola! Thanks for all you do!

3. Theresa
    October 28, 2011 at 8:10 am

My kids are super excited about the Trail of Treats!

• Theresa
      October 28, 2011 at 8:10 am

Oh, and welcome aboard, Lola!!

October 28, 2011 at 8:59 am

Thanks for posting Lola!

You opened up with a statement so let me turn that into a question: What is it that you “Love” about living in La Vergne?

I think a lot of us right now may not be feeling the same way. Me personally, I live literally on the Smyrna/Lavergne border. So I look at my personal situation and think if the city border were moved just one property over and I were in Smyrna instead of La Vergne, I would have a substnatially lower water bill, lower property taxes, and my homes’ value would be higher. So right now I don’t see any benefit I have by living in La Vergne. In addition to that, anytime I tell someone what city I live in, I always here “you aren’t going to let your kids go to school there are you?” Or, “You know there are more gangs at LHS than Antioch HS.” And the one I love most, “You know when the new Stewarts Creek HS opens and the rich part of Lavergne is zoned to go there, your property values will tank worse than Antioch.”

I hope they are all wrong, I really do. But I don’t know. So cheer me up, what is it that you love aobut this city?

5. Lola D.
    October 28, 2011 at 9:21 am

I ~love~ that my neighborhood cares about our family whose house burned to the ground. We are gathering clothes and taking up donations for them.

I ~love~ that we have city officials who are now trying to make positive changes (and yes much of that DOES cost money) instead of business as usual which is what caused so much destruction in the first place.

I ~love~ that our police department has been cleaning up our streets, getting crackheads from Nashville out of our town and arresting the drug dealers from Smyrna.

I ~love~ that so many people in our town are rallying around our last remaining volunteer firefighter who is battling cancer. Were you there at the softball tournament?

I ~love~ that we have great activities like Trail of Treats and Gross Grub.

I ~love~ that despite the vitriol and hatred being spread by a handful of residents, WE ARE LaVERGNE and we will stand up and fight for our town!

Negativity begets negativity. While I am suffering JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE in this CRAP economy, I will always try to find the positive in any situation and will not be dragged down to the level of being labeled only a complainer.

• michaelinLV
      October 28, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Thanks for the response!

October 28, 2011 at 9:45 am

Welcome, Lola. Always nice to have new writers. I have a question for you (but anybody else feel free to jump in with a response): why is Ricky Quinn our “last volunteer firefighter?” What happened to the others? Were they hired on as employees or subcontractors? Fired? Quit? The phrase caught my eye and I’m just curious.

7. snowmanhow
    October 28, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Welcome Lola!

On the open thread part – does anyone know why has the Waldron Road project been delayed? Is Lojac focused on N. Mt. Juliet Road in Mt. Juliet instead? There seems to be a lot of activity and progress going on up there. Did the city not have a deadline or penalties in the contract?

• Lola D.
      October 28, 2011 at 9:39 pm

The city had NO deadline or penalties in the contract. Why? Because the city does not have the contract. It is between the STATE and LOJAC. The city engineer and mayor have met with the state and Lojac NUMEROUS times to question, push, urge. The issues are finally being resolved so it looks like full speed ahead again soon.

8. Jack
    October 28, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Oh my… DEAR Lola…beautiful breath of fresh air. Thanks to all who have contributed and volunteered their time, energy, opinions and passion to take the time to post threads on this web site. Because of you who volunteer their time to this web/blog/threads/posts I am more informed to what is happening in this town. I do not get out much and only have limited access to what is going on around town. With that being said. Thanks again for Lola for your positive approach, I like that style. Heh, Heh…nice try MichaelinLV (whowisheshewasinSM) sorry, not really.

Dear Lola…with my utmost respect for you, if you wanted to know what I ~loved~ the most about my day today about La Vergne? It was reading these words below.

“My sources tell me that we like our readers to be educated and informed about actual facts rather than with made up mamby-pamby stuff! READING is a good way to achieve this!”

Welcome to This Is La Vergne Lola, I look forward to your being here.