Something To Be Proud Of

Dear neighbors and friends,

Yesterday while I was at the La Vergne Youth Football game at Veterans’ Memorial Park, I overheard some people talking. A woman said, “Actually, this is really nice. I always thought La Vergne was a dump, but this park is really great.” I thought about all the times that I had been down on La Vergne, myself, back when the city was being raped by developers and other people who had zero problems making this city into a cash grab for themselves and their buddies rather than a community of people who wanted better for their town, their friends, their families.

And while I was busy being mad about it, other people had a vision and were actually doing something about it. Then I started talking to these people and getting out and doing something about it myself. And here I am, constantly entreating those of you who would like to complain, to actually do something.

See, I’m not that different than you. I was once where you were at. And you might think you’re doing something about it, with your meetups and your petitions and what have you, but I ask you: who will pay for the special election? Who is behind the petition? Do you really know these people? What do they stand to gain?

I see a comment thread on one of the La Vergne websites where a certain person who, I have heard,  is one of the right hand men of one of the developers that caused the mess that everyone wants to complain about, is busily sowing the seeds of hate and discontent. And he calls our mayor corrupt. I laughed. And I cried, because people who are angry about the tax increase are likely to just up and agree with this guy without knowing who he is and what he stands to gain by getting rid of our mayor and board and putting in some people that THEY agree with.

Ask yourself: what do I TRULY stand to gain by signing this petition and causing this kind of instability? Ask yourself: what do OTHER people stand to gain? Like, people who already own a lot of property here and are buying up more property as we speak? What does a person stand to gain by our property values plummeting?

I generally stay away from the hate-filled message that is being sent around by others in this town. My friends tell me about it frequently, however. How there are people that, even when the city does get positive press, still want to run it down and go on a national news website to share with the world what an awful place this really is. It says to me that their message is one of hate instead of love. Think about this: it is far easier to get people on board with a hate-filled message than one of love. It is far easier to be angry than stand strong and positive in the face of hardship.

I will keep sending a message of love. I will still do my best to help those in need. I ask you to join me in this. I still stand, proud of my city, and I believe in its citizens and employees and elected officials, and I will work- give my time, my money, whatever I have- to help those who need help. I offer a hand to anyone- regardless of their politics. Do you need something? What can I do for you? Contact me through the “Complain here” form at the top of the page.

With love to all of you,

Ivy

12 comments for “Something To Be Proud Of

1. August 21, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Good job Ivy!

2. tony vanatta
    August 21, 2011 at 9:32 pm

love it

3. auntyoya
    August 21, 2011 at 10:43 pm

My sentiments exactly!!!

4. Cricket123
    August 22, 2011 at 1:18 am

Ivy – you, Lady, are the SHIT!!!! And I mean that in the bestest way EVER!!!!

5. Liberty
    August 22, 2011 at 7:32 am

They are still trying to push that stupid petition…I would love for them to come knock on my door! JUst like all the damn solicitors that come to my house they will get an very not nice answer when I open my door and said door being shut in their face…Solicitors need to respect the No Soliciting sign I have posted by my front door. I don’t care if you had to walk up to my door to read it. It clearly states, do not knock or ring the door bell…MAybe I should get a beware of dog sign to go under it…lol

• Ben
      August 22, 2011 at 2:10 pm

How bout don’t answer the door! That’s what I do. Pretty easy.

August 22, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I get a lot of solicitors at my house and sometimes I don’t answer the door, but it always feels weird or dishonest, not opening the door when I’m home. Yeah, I know, I’m strange.

6. auntyoya
    August 22, 2011 at 9:23 am

I am so sick of all the anger,hatred, and misrepresentation of facts that I see everywhere; be it the media or in my little city. No two people are ever going to agree on every situation that presents itself but in the end is it really worth all this? The taxes and the constantly changing rates for Everything are always going to be here but we are not. Today would be a nice day to look around you and see how you can make a difference on your street, in your neighborhood, in your city or in your state. I’m pretty sure on my deathbed I will not be reflecting on the taxes or bills but instead Was I The Best Person I Was Meant To Be.

7. August 22, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Great Article Ivy! I sincerely hope things in La Vergne get turned around.

August 23, 2011 at 9:19 am

Thanks, Jimmy! 🙂

8. M.E.Dodd
    August 22, 2011 at 6:18 pm

I would like to point out that while the developers were “raping the city” as you say, Veterans park was built. There was not much of anything before that. The little league played on borrowed land. There was no place for youth football.

During that same growth period, Two libraries were built one of them with land donated by a developer. I have never heard a developer call our town a dump, nor would I have tolerated it from anyone. I love this town and I for one am sticking with it. I know people on both sides of the tax issue and I respect each of them. I would encourage everyone to debate vigorously while remaining civil. La Vergne has a whole lot more going for it then we realize, our problems are not that bad.

I do not for a second think things were or are perfect. Every administration could have done better. I remember having a discussion with a council member from a city in Michigan sometime around 1998. I was lamenting about our rate of growth and how I thought we were building to small and having trouble keeping up with a 350 new houses a year, water, sewer, parks.
    He looked at me and said “In my town several of our factories have closed and we have 20% unemployment and I am told another will close soon… I pray for your problems”. It sure gave me a new perspective on what a problem was.

The growth enabled our city to do many good things. It also presented challenges and tough choices. I prefer to look forward instead of backwards for solutions.

Personally I do not agree with the tax increase, or at least the percentage. I think it would have been better to flatten out the 5yr plan and focus on getting back in the black. My disagreement with it is trivial. I am concerned that the increase may have a negative influence on business growth.

I am not in favor of surrendering the Aldermanic charter and reverting to the City Manager form of government. I would not mind it coming to a vote as long as everyone behaves and has a voice.

Regardless of the outcome of any question, I choose to follow the example of Alderman Joe Montgomery. I recall that as a motion was being debated that he was completely against and was apparently going to pass, he said something to the effect of ‘I don’t agree with this but if it passes I will do everything I can to make it work’. What a perfect example of elected character and citizenship. I miss him.

August 23, 2011 at 9:19 am

Sir, you make some very good points, and I appreciate your input, *especially* the last paragraph, which is awesome. Thank you.