Where homes are affordable… per CNN.com

13. La Vergne, TN
13 of 25
La Vergne, TN
Median home price: $106,500
Median family income: $64,034

For country music fans, it’s good enough just to know that La Vergne is one long Texas two-step from Nashville, but it has many attractions beyond music.

Boaters and fishermen are drawn to the 14,000-acre Percy Priest Lake for recreation, parents to the highly-rated schools and everyone finds the low taxes here hard to resist.

The high point on the calendar is the annual Old Timers’ Festival, which is expanding to three days from one in 2011 and includes midway rises, juried craft contests, a pageant and a parade, all around a “good-old-days” theme.

Most of La Vergne’s residents commute into Nashville or work in the neighboring town of Smyrna, where a Nissan plant employs 6,000.

See complete data and interactive map for La Vergne

17 comments for “Where homes are affordable… per CNN.com

August 16, 2011 at 10:43 am

This is, um, shall we say interesting? Would love to know where and when they got some of their statistics.

2. Thomas
    August 16, 2011 at 11:29 am

Good press… I’ll take it! Finally something good for a change.

3. Kitti
    August 16, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Well, they got all the names right! Space between “La” and “Vergne”, Percy Priest, Old Timer’s, Nissan, everything checks out. 🙂

4. Kathy T.
    August 16, 2011 at 6:51 pm

YAY! I talked with CNN Money about a month ago and submitted some photos. SO EXCITED TO READ THE ARTICLE! Thanks for sharing, Cricket!

• Elizabeth
      August 17, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Kathy, will this be on CNN Money (TV) or in the papers? Would love to see what they have to say about our great town…

5. Kathy T.
    August 16, 2011 at 6:57 pm

PS – The photo was from the 4th of July event we had… Patriotic Picnic in the Park. I am SO PROUD of our city!

6. Moon beam
    August 17, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Homes may be affordable in lavergne but, look who is buying. The downtrotten, multiple families living under one roof, people with poor credit and no down payment. You get what you pay for. If you want a home in lake forest you can have it. At least 350 homes are for sale if you want one. No brick 100% vinyl. That’s lavergne!

• Gary
      August 18, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I think there are around 90 homes for sale in the Lake Forest subdivision right now, not 350. I am very fortunate in that I live at the very beginning part of Lake Forest and was built in 2005. I am one of just a handful of people who actually live on a dead end in this cluster bomb of a subdivision and my home backs up to a couple of older farms. So instead of having potentially annoying backdoor neighbors I have nothing but roosters, horses and goats behind me and I certainly don’t mind that. My street is without a doubt the quietest street I have ever lived on and I guess I’m fortunate to be one of the lucky few who has a normal big front and back yard, more than 10 feet of space between mine and my neighbors house and the homes were built top notch. I would have been totally fine had the city quadrupled my property taxes if we could have eventually gotten rid of the privatized fire dept., higher wages for city employees and police, city garbage pickup and a curbside recycling program to go along with it, and for God sakes some true codes enforcement (if we even have codes here). Basically, start to fine these jokers who feel the need to post garage sale flyers on every telephone pole and leave them there even after the sale is over, finishing the roundabout on Stones River Rd. without beginning even more home construction around that area, the finalization/end to the Lake Forest subdivision, no parking your cars in your yard and a code that prevents the family on the front part of La Vergne Ln from having a garage sale every other weekend. I’ve lived in La Vergne for 3/12 years now and love this city, my quiet little street and my great neighbors. Yes, it has tons of problems and I understand why so many call us little Antioch. We and mostly the previous folks running the show at city hall let those few developers completely destroy the potential that La Vergne had without saying much. I’m not giving up faith on her yet, I’m just hoping we can eventually set a standard where instead of people running here because of cheap house or apt. rentals, they decide that La Vergne has a perfect setup for them in terms of safety, well built and spaced apart homes, great schools, low crime, etc. I don’t want La Vergne to be Brentwood. If I did, I would live there with those saps. I just want this city to finally live up to its potential that I know it has had since I was a young child in the mid 80s.

• CindyR
        August 22, 2011 at 9:19 am

Nice “profiling” there Gary – I happen to live in LFE – and I am not trash – my husband and I both work, as do all of our neighbors, some being business owners – and in addition – we all strive to keep our yards and homes looking presentable and well-taken care of. Agreed, there are indeed some homes that could use some care and attention…..but just because someone lives in a particular subdivision does not automatically make them some sort of trash or lower life form….I pay a subtantial amount of money on a mortgage every month. Much more than I would pay in rent….if I were some deadbeat in the “downtrotten” subdivision that you describe – I probably wouldn’t be taking the responsibility to make a home for my family and pay a mortgage. Our family income has literally been cut in half because of the economy – but yet – Thank GOD we still manage to trudge on and meet our resposibilities and put a roof over the family’s head. Thank mortgage and lending companies who have let folks buy homes that they can’t afford…who have later for whatever reason – had to leave their homes due to job loss, foreclosure or whatever the case may be. Generalizing like you have is inappropriate – living in LFE no more makes a person “downtrotten” than driving a Lexus makes you rich…..don’t generalize and assume that everyone that doesn’t live on your particular street is trash……you never know what your future may bring – and you may suddenly rely on one of your “neighbors” to help you through…..’nuf said.

7. Cricket123
    August 17, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Not everybody in La Vergne lives in Lake Forrest. And there are homes with bricks in LFE… it just depends on which Phase of building that you bought in. Vinyl siding on a home does not automatically mean that is in a “trashy neighborhood” either…my neighborhood is mostly vinyl siding and I have some of the greatest neighbors in the world!!!

As the saying goes, “Don’t judge a book by it’s cover alone…”

8. Leslie
    August 18, 2011 at 12:26 pm

We bought a home in La Vergne a year ago. We have perfect credit, dual-income-no-kids, substantial down payment, and our home is mostly brick with *gasp* some siding. We love our neighborhood and our neighbors.

9. Bobby
    August 18, 2011 at 3:27 pm

We moved to La Vergne in May 2007. Worst decision of my life. We are stuck here wasting money to try and break even on a house that will never never gain any value back. Not to mention the tax and water increase. It’s just rediculous. I live in Lake Forest and the only way that neighborhood will ever ammount to anything is if they somehow developed a home owners ass. People (renters mostly) don’t care about their house, yard or neighbors for that matter.

• Gary
      August 18, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I’ve been wondering for a while if a home owners association could be implemented. If so, I’d be all for it. Heck if we could split LFE and change the left side (by facing it from above using google maps or something) to a new name then that would be fantastic. The way these houses were built on the Fergus Rd. area where three or four houses in a row are the EXACT same design and some of the newer houses where your driveway literally leads right up to your front door are killing us as far as property values.

10. DJ
    August 18, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Household income of $64000? Am I missing something? I heard the story on the news and heard them say high wages in La Vergne. I don’t think that is accurate data. All the elementary schools in La Vergne are Title 1 schools, which means they have a large number of kids on free or reduced lunch programs. You can’t get that unless your income is below average, for a family of 4 the income limit is $41000. Thats a long way from $64000.

• Tom Broeker
      August 19, 2011 at 12:26 pm

According to the 2010 U.S. Census data, the City of La Vergne had an average household income of $68,007, a median household income of $60,013, and a per capita income of $24,384. So I’d say CNN’s data two years later showing La Vergne’s median household income around $64,000 to be fairly accurate.

11. Cricket123
    August 18, 2011 at 10:40 pm

This is another reason why the schools need to seriously check residence requirements… I think this is how Antioch “rejects” (for lack of a better word) end up in our school systems.

August 21, 2011 at 12:41 am

Cricket, you’re 100% correct. It’s a piece of cake to enroll in school here. You supply the residence data once and that’s pretty much all it takes.