Open Thread A Day Early

I keep starting posts and then leaving them in the drafts. Other people who can see the back end of this site are probably like, what the heck, Ivy, can’t you put a post together lately? For some reason, I cannot.

There’s so much I do want to say, too, like I still believe in you, La Vergne, and I still believe we can come together. And then I see where someone’s made a comment that is so blind to the other side- on both sides of the argument, mind you- that I think, how can we begin to come together when there are so many people who are hell bent on pushing things apart?

I again encourage all of you with questions to contact city hall yourselves. And get to know some of the city workers, the fire fighters, the police, the public works people, all of them. They’re all good people with big hearts that really care about this city.

So, talk amongst yourselves, neighbors. Anything you want, this is an open thread and does not have to be on topic.

I leave you with some cool pics of our public works guys hard at work. Some days are crappier than others, ha ha.

14 comments for “Open Thread A Day Early

1. Kitti
    August 12, 2011 at 8:20 am

I don’t envy them, with the 100+ heat we’ve had this summer!

Any word on the ONH sidewalk situation? Will they expand at some point, or remain as decorative brackets at the intersection with Stones River? 🙂

August 12, 2011 at 8:23 am

They are going to be expanding it, but if I remember correctly they are going to try to do it next summer when school traffic is not such an issue. I was at a meeting that they were talking about that and several other sidewalk projects, and the one I think they’re going to do first is Fergus, since it’s not a route to school. (it’s a route I take all the time, though, so I’m displeased, lol)

• michaelinLV
        August 12, 2011 at 8:41 am

Funny, for years they’ve been telling me the next sidewalk to get done will be on Chaney to LHS. It’s embarrassing watching kids have to walk to school in the ditch. In 2006, it was either Waldron or Mosley who told me that the Chaney road sidewalk was to be done the next year (I assumed 2007?). Well, then they put in new water lines in 2009, but still I was told, sidewalks on Chaney are “next year.”

Of course I guess when you call your local politician and say “I live near Chaney and think it needs a sidewalk, when will you put one there,” what other answer would you expect!

August 12, 2011 at 11:03 am

That was “near the top of the agenda” when my daughter was in middle school. She graduated from LHS in May. So that’s six years and still no sidewalks. 🙁

• michaelinLV
          August 12, 2011 at 11:10 am

I still don’t understand the logic in not doing those sidewalks as part of completing the new water lines a couple of years ago. The prep work was done, the only additional cost would have been laying the concrete. Now you’re going to have to go back and prep the surface again, making the total cost higher.

• Tom Broeker
            August 12, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Just for clarity. The city has three sidewalk projects. Chaney and Fergus Roads as well as “Safe routes to School.” Each of these projects we have existing grants for and Fergus Road and Chaney Road should be done by early next summer.

Safe routes to school will complete sidewalks between La Vergne Middle School and Roy Walron and currently scheduled to be done next fiscal year.

Along with budget constraints, Fergus Road and Chaney Road had “right of way” and environmental issues which added to the delay in these projects. Hope this helps.

Tom Broeker

• LV2LV
              August 12, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Just curious on those sidewalks between Roy Waldron and LMS…Where are the going to be? On Stones River Rd or Floyd Mayfield??

• Tom Broeker
                August 12, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Floyd Mayfield

• Kitti
              August 15, 2011 at 7:48 am

Thank you, Tom!

• Kitti
          August 15, 2011 at 7:47 am

THIS! Yes! The schoolchildren’s walkways should be given priority, in my opinion.

2. Kathy T.
    August 13, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Last night was my first time at the Howl at the Moon 5K run hosted by Parks & Recreation in LaVergne. WOW! It’s one of my new favorite events that the city hosts! GREAT JOB to all the runners and to the volunteers. I’ll be posting photos on the city’s Facebook page on Monday.

3. Liberty
    August 14, 2011 at 10:07 pm

I just want to know when are they gonna finish paving East Nir? I hate having to dodge manholes. Oh and the end of Quiet lane??? Please say that that is part of the reason my taxes went up…so that my street will be finished

4. Theresa
    August 15, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Anyone know what that metal pole is on top of the wooden utility pole at DG on Fergus at Sand Hill? They put it up around the 25th of July and we can’t figure out what it is for. (I know, really important issue that I am bringing up here, but I am really, really curious!)

5. Kitti
    August 18, 2011 at 3:00 pm

ARE there any gardening clubs in LaVergne? Seed swaps, garden tours, et cetera?