Board of Mayor And Aldermen Workshop 7-28-2011

I attended the Board of Mayor and Aldermen workshop this evening. Attendance was light, I guess everyone decided to go see Harry Potter or something. 😉 Most of it was a total snooze fest. The city needs to renew a copier contract. Um, some other stuff that I got bored and started stealing my neighbors’ iPhones through.

One thing is, it looks like there is going to be a greenway in La Vergne, finally. It will be somewhere Blakemoore (I could be spelling that wrong.) Drive. I think, west side of La Vergne. Apparently there was a grant given to us by (I think) the state umpteen bazillion years ago and they are finally getting everything approved now and if all goes as planned, it should be ready by November. That’s good because if it is not completed by December, the grant will be taken away and good luck ever getting another grant for a greenway or maybe even anything else.

Now, let me say that I was at the greenway meeting about this particular greenway, so I know a little bit more about it than was presented at the meeting. At that particular meeting it was brought up that the city had planned up this greenway and sent it to the state for approval and the state was basically like, “That’s cool, but you need a handy parking space for Americans with disabilities who get a handy tag.” The state then suggested we put an ADA parking space on the street (o.O) for these folks.

Of course, our city planner and city engineer had a massive coronary when they heard “parking on the street” because parking on the street is against ye olde law in La Vergne. So they went back to the drawing board and tried to find a space where they could put this parking space, and one other since it’s not terribly fair to have a handy space and not a regular space as well.

Luckily, the city owns some space between these two houses that would fit both spaces and could be accessed easily to the greenway, and it’s all within budget.

Except, of course, the homeowners who have the two houses on either side of the space are not too happy about it. Which is exactly how I would feel if I were either of those two homeowners. You’re going to make a parking lot in my yard? Really?

One set of the homeowners came to the greenway meeting I attended and spoke very politely and convincingly about how this would negatively affect her family. I completely understand where she’s coming from. It is a tough situation on both sides, I mean, we would really like a good greenway system in our town and this greenway NEEDS to get done if we want to build more. Alderman Broeker stated at tonight’s meeting that he had spoken with the homeowner and it may be that we can work this out with some fencing. From what I understand a solution is being worked out. Cool.

Now, let’s see, what else. They discussed Alderman Broeker’s plan to revisit the water and sewer rates with the people from MTAS. Which, by the way, in case you don’t understand the difference between workshops and board meetings, let me explain. In a workshop, they discuss the things they’re going to discuss at the meeting. It’s kind of a dress rehearsal. Nothing is voted on. It’s just discussed.

So, yeah, that was discussed and Alderman Waldron’s idea about a tax freeze for seniors was discussed. Mayor Mosley, Steve Mayer and, ummm…someone else (sorry, I’m tired and it’s late and I’ve been up since 5:30) met with a tax man from the county this morning to find out how seniors and other folks can get some tax relief. I have a whole page of information about that which I was going to type up tonight, but again, tired. So I am going to scan this tomorrow morning and put up a PDF link so this information is up there.

The short version of it is this: Senior citizens can get a tax freeze. It won’t roll back the taxes to 50 cents, but it can keep your taxes from going up in the future. There is also tax relief available which is for people who are 65 and older or totally disabled. That is a reimbursement for the taxes you have paid and can vary.

I have a whole lot of info about that and I’ll upload a scan of it tomorrow.

So come on out to the board of mayor and aldermen meeting next Thursday. They’ll vote then, and that’s always a slightly more interesting meeting. Normally they are on the first Tuesday of the month but because of National Night Out they are moving it to Thursday this month.

Good night, La Vergne.

EDIT: Good morning, La Vergne! Here is a scan of the sheet I was talking about last night: tax freeze-tax relief

17 comments for “Board of Mayor And Aldermen Workshop 7-28-2011

1. Cris
    July 28, 2011 at 10:38 pm

yay! a greenway…is this in a different area than the cane ridge park mountain bike trail? i sure do hope so! thanks for filling us in. i wanted to be there…but after the town hall meeting i was weary of attending. lol

• July 28, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Cris,
      The City Workshop meetings with the board are alot calmer than the townhall meeting. Both sides were rallying troops there and it wasn’t for the average citizen when its hijacked like that. I would like to see more open sessions though with the board that way they can take questions and answer them.

• B
      August 1, 2011 at 10:08 am

Is the Cane Ridge bike trail open yet?

2. Cricket123
    July 28, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Ivy, come to visit me and I’ll show you exactly where (from what you posted) said “greenway” and it’s parking spaces are supposed to be.

July 29, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I’d be curious to know myself. I guess I haven’t been all the way to the end of Blakemoore, but isn’t the whole thing lined with residences?

Not to look a gifthorse in the mouth, but is this really a good location for a greenway? And only two parking spaces?

• michaelinLV
        July 30, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Agreed. Anyone on here would be PO’d if this were happening to their property. And 2 parking spots? So who will be able to use this green space since parking isn’t allowed on the street. Or will the poor residents of Blake Moore Drive be forced to put up with visitors parking on their street?

I guess I have to ask, what is the purpose of this “green space” and prior to the parking spot question, how was Joe Citizen supposed to be able to access this area?

• Cricket123
        July 31, 2011 at 12:13 am

There are homes up and down both sides of Blake Moore, but the ends of the road are unfinished… If you come down Stone Ridge Pkwy, go over the bridge, and and turn left onto Blake Moore it will end in an over-grown area. Fairly close behind it is the Brookside neighborhood (not sure if there is a shadow-box fence there – but “they” didn’t want to associate with the Farmingdale neighborhood according to a real estate agent who worked the “model house” years ago). If you turn right onto Blake Moore the road ends (unfinished) into the beginning of the “Centre Point” complex. The kids used to trek through there to get to the “now” Woodland Hills Mall…LOL!

July 31, 2011 at 9:32 am

Ah, now I know where you’re talking about. I had my roads mixed up. So which way do you turn on Blakemoore to get to the greenway? Neither end seems really appropriate. And what the heck is the Woodland Hills Mall? Something I should know about?!

• Cricket123
            July 31, 2011 at 3:27 pm

That’s what they’re calling the strip mall next to Mapco…

3. Connie
    July 28, 2011 at 10:52 pm

It would be great if you copy the map to PDF and post for all….Thanks for keeping us updated. For my interest was the issue with the moldy water in general brought up? I am headed out tomorrow to buy yet more dish clothes

July 29, 2011 at 7:02 am

Connie, please call the water treatment plant at 615-793-6536 and have them come out and test your water (there’s no charge for this) if you’re really concerned about the water being moldy. Hopefully this way you can have some peace of mind.

It sounds like you are on a “dead end” for water (as am I) and with the hydrants not being flushed much, the water gets “stale”. I have some issues with this as my house as well. I hope this helps.

July 29, 2011 at 7:03 am

Oh, and what map are you talking about, the greenway map?

4. tony vanatta
    July 29, 2011 at 6:25 am

it would be nice to get a bunch of volunteer’s together to help get this done and show that we can GET HER DONE’before Dec….

5. Cee Dee
    July 29, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Thank you Mayor Mosley for putting together the info on the Tax Relief and the Tax Freeze. It certainly shows that you are prepared to give the info requested and you don’t show up empty handed and without details! This info will be helpful to some of our seniors and disabled, but certainly requires effort on their part to produce the required documentation. At least now they know how to go about seeking help.

6. B
    August 1, 2011 at 9:11 am

How about make a clearing behind the houses so the parking lot will be a little off the road and not be an eye sore. I know I would be extemely pissed if they were making a parking lot next to my house.

7. Kitti
    August 2, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Yay, a greenway! OH, Cris already said that.

8. Kitti
    August 2, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Will this Greenway hook up with Cane Ridge Park?