Why I Even Care

I’ll be honest, there are days that the comments that are both posted here and the ones I leave unposted get me really, really down. It’s frustrating when people are posting blatant lies or when they are deliberately obtuse. It’s frustrating when people are rude to me or talk about me on other, forever to be unnamed websites.

I want to be clear that I have no interest whatsoever in silencing anyone who disagrees with me. I have only banned one person, and that was on the facebook page, and that was because they were repeatedly rude to me on several occasions and he had been warned multiple times. In case you have no idea how the internet works, it behooves you to at least be polite or civil to the moderator of a website, facebook page, message board, whatever. Especially this one, and I’ll tell you why.

I do this for free. I spend a LOT of my time and energy on this. I have to try to make sure things are fair, and I have made my own friends mad by deleting their comments because they violated the rules. All I want is to try to be as fair as possible and give everyone an equal forum as long as they are following the rules. And one of those rules is that they have to be polite or at least civil to me. Sorry, but that is how it is.

But all that aside, I write here frequently on issues I am passionate about. I really and truly care about this city and what happens to it. It frustrates me to no end when people would rather pass on lies than find out what the truth is and then tell it like it is. People who know me well know how much I hate lies and the people who tell them. If you want to lose me as a friend, all you have to do is tell me a blatant lie.

And that’s one of the reasons that a couple of years ago, I was fed up with the city of La Vergne and wanted out. I very nearly moved to Murfreesboro because I was so incredibly sick to death of the shenanigans that were going on at city hall. To put things quite clear, it was a cash grab by certain people and their friends, and I was tired of our city being victimized by them.

As things turned out, I was not able to move to Murfreesboro, so I stayed and cheered Kathy on as she kept writing for this site and kept trying to keep the faith and kept doing what she could to effect change in this city. But I had dropped out. I had nothing to give. Occasionally I would comment, but I kept well out of things largely because I had a hard time caring what happened.

And then nearly a year ago, something changed. People who I could believe in ran for certain key positions in the city. Senna ran again for mayor and ran on a campaign of change. If you go back and read the questions we asked her, one of the questions we asked was whether or not she would raise taxes. She stated that she would do what she could not to raise them, but if she had to, she would.

I supported that completely. I have always believed in paying my fair share. I have long thought that people didn’t pay enough in taxes in this city. Although I somewhat resented paying taxes to a city where I felt that people in office were using the city’s money as a cash grab- heck, the former mayor used to use the city credit card for washing his car! If you don’t believe me, GO UP TO CITY HALL. The information is there.

But I thought with the right kind of leadership our city could become something far greater than it has been in the past. Greater than Smyrna, greater, even, than Murfreesboro which is the city I have loved ever since the first time I visited it when I was in 8th grade. So Senna was running and then there were some people I didn’t really know who were running.

I thought, I need to get to know these people. I went and I listened to what people had to say about all those who were running for the Mayor and Aldermen’s offices. And I shook hands and I talked to the people who were running. And I gathered enough that I could write a post about them and endorse people for Mayor and Aldermen, even though many on this website opposed our doing so.

I wanted to do so anyway, because I had met some people I believe in. People I thought could usher in a new era for this city, one where we were no longer the “armpit of Rutherford County” and where people could be proud to say they lived in La Vergne, instead of ashamed of it.

Things have transpired lately that continue to blacken our city’s eyes. I’m not even going to go back through it because if you read this website, you already know. The petition to unincorporate. The people complaining about the water and sewer rate increases and the tax increase. The people who will say anything to besmirch our mayor’s good name, saying she is greedy and is lining her pockets with these increases. It makes my blood boil. Our mayor works tirelessly and has answered calls, texts, emails consistently.

Let me ask you this: have you ever known our various board members to be so accessible before? Let me use Alderman Broeker as an example- he is continually trying to find ways to reach out to the citizens of our city. He, like our mayor, works tirelessly and uncomplainingly to make this city a better place for all of us to live. He inspires me constantly to continue to care even when I am down about the comments people make about our city or about me. If he can be strong and take it, and continually work with people to inform them of what is truly going on, so can I.

I think we have an amazing board right now, and I believe in (almost, haha) all of them. If people can stop thinking of them as the enemy and start thinking about ways to effectively communicate with them, what could our city become? You DO want it to get better, don’t you? I know I do, and I thank those who are on the board who helped me to care again.

18 comments for “Why I Even Care

1. mark
    July 12, 2011 at 7:55 pm

you know what I suggest Ivy……why not post the budget shortfall online on this site so they can actually see how bad it was when the new mayor took office. Its all in black and white and then maybe those lying sacks of people that live in the city will grow up and see the REAL TRUTH about past managment!

July 12, 2011 at 8:05 pm

I will see what I can do, Mark.

• Kitti
      July 19, 2011 at 3:33 pm

That’s a good idea – raw numbers can show exactly what a problem is and why the solution is necessary.

2. Trish
    July 12, 2011 at 7:56 pm

My sentiments exactly Ivy. Thank you.

July 12, 2011 at 8:06 pm

No, thank you! I really appreciate all the supportive commenters that are on this site. It’s one of the many things that makes all the frustrations worth it. 🙂

July 12, 2011 at 7:59 pm

I forgive you for deleting one of my comments (at least I think it was only one). I was warned and chose to ignore said warning 🙂

July 12, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Thanks! 🙂 I always feel bad when I have to delete the comments of people I like. 🙂

4. Skeet
    July 12, 2011 at 8:29 pm

So much good in this article. As you know I tend to be a windmill tilter. I see people that I think are full of it and I call them on it, usually in a very not nice way. You asked me to be civil so on here I have. Thank you for your time on this site. 🙂

July 12, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Pretty much everybody on this site is a windmill tilter at times, me included. It just means we care about our little city! 🙂

5. auntyoya
    July 12, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Very well said Ivy! I share the same sentiments and have really tried to be open minded to everyone’s opinions but there are times when you gotta call a moron a moron! I,too, get so sick of the bashing of our city and our leaders who have not even been given a chance to get this city up on its feet and moving in the right direction. Its only been 6 months and its been roadblock after roadblock with the people resistant to change and the refusal to get informed why the decisions are being made on a Have To Basis! We are all in this together and I hope you will not give up on us or our city. No matter how ugly some people react just remember Stick and Stones baby!

6. July 12, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Hang in there, Ivy.

(You needs someone to ‘speak’ to someone, lemme know. I’m just down the street… )

• Kitti
      July 19, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I love your Doc Holliday icon!!

7. Jack
    July 13, 2011 at 12:08 am

Illegitimi non carborundum 😉

July 13, 2011 at 7:56 am

Haha! That’s my grandma’s phrase, only she always said it in English, lol.

• Jack
        July 13, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Bahahaha…Well… I FELT like saying to you in English ! But didn’t want to offend anyone or have you delete my comment for cussin’ or be warned to behave because I don’t know the rules…
        I also didn’t want to disrespect you.
        THANKS FOR ALL THAT YOU DO!

8. July 13, 2011 at 10:50 am

Great work Ivy. I know I’m new to this site, and expressed some concerns over the recent increases, but because of this blog, I was able to get in touch with Broeker and talk about my misgivings and be able to converse politely and objectively about what the city is doing with the increases. Most of his answers cooled my heels, while some I am still at odds with just because of the wants and needs factor, but that’s my personal beliefs and I stick to them. For the most part, I now agree that the increases were necessary for growth and look forward to seeing how our city can flourish from these changes.

The knee-jerk reaction to tax hikes is understandable, but like you said, the transparency of this administration makes it so much easier to discuss issues in a civil and meaningful manner. Thanks again for your hard work. 😀

9. tony vanatta
    July 13, 2011 at 10:23 pm

getting deleted oops that would be me,But when someone goes and want to go cut throat on a friend of mine,that i know as the most caring person in lavergne,and would do anything for any body no matter whAT.and would NOT HAVE raised anything on anybody unless it was to save there HOME they call lavergne ,im a very proud person to say MAYOR MOSLEY IS MY FRIEND AND ARE MAYOR,she is awesome,

10. July 14, 2011 at 9:30 am