Off-Topic Saturday: Music Edition

Ya know, guys, every once in awhile we should take a break from all this serious, heavy stuff and have a thread about happy randomness. So here’s my pick for the day- music! Is there really anything that can be more of a mood-changer? If I want to wallow in my depression, I listen to morose songs of the 90s. If I want to cheer up, I listen to happy, fun dance songs. If I want to stay angry, I listen to Eminem’s old stuff. If I want to feel less angry, I listen to his new stuff.

So, here’s a little random survey to see what you like to listen to, and my answers as well!

What is the song you’re really digging the most lately?

Adele’s Rolling in the Deep

What is the song that will cause you to turn the radio station every time it comes on?

Electric Blue, by Icehouse. God, I hate that song. Luckily it’s really old so it doesn’t come on the radio a lot.

What is a song you like, but are secretly embarrassed by your liking it?

Remember MmmBop by Hansen? Or Miley Cyrus’s Party in the USA.

What is your favorite song lyric?

“I know someday you’ll have a beautiful life, I know you’ll be a star in somebody else’s sky, but why (whyyyyyyyyyy) can’t it be (can’t it be) mine?” Pearl Jam, Black

What is the worst song lyric ever?

“Tin roof! Rusted!” B-52s, Love Shack. No, seriously, what in the heck is that supposed to mean?

A song that makes you think about someone else every time you hear it:

I have a lot of these, but I would have to say that right now, Glycerine by Bush is the one that I’m most strongly associating with someone.

A song that is from a different generation from yours, but that you can really relate to anyway:

Dan Fogelberg’s Leader of the Band. It was released in 1981 so I was alive when it was released, but I was 6. So I don’t really consider that “of my generation.” And I love that song SO MUCH.

And finally, your favorite song of all time:

This is hard because I love so many songs, but the one song I can listen to over and over and over and have never gotten tired of is Gordon Lightfoot’s Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. Also, Elton John’s I Guess That’s Why They Call it the Blues. I know, that’s 2. I’d better stop before I start naming a bunch more.

Okay, now it’s your turn. Answer any or all of these questions. Yes, even you, trolls. And you, elected officials. Well, whoever gets to it first, don’t wanna violate the sunshine laws. And especially you, MichaelinLV since you only seem to respond to the heavy stuff lately and you used to respond to the fun stuff, too! 😛

13 comments for “Off-Topic Saturday: Music Edition

1. Liberty
    July 9, 2011 at 11:30 am

Yay I’m first!!!

Adele’s Rolling in the Deep

No song, but Ryan Seacrest drives me nuts!

Anything Hanson!

“The chemicals between us, the walls that lie between us, lying in this bed”

The whole song Love Shack is just wrong…lol!

E.T. by Katy Perry

Zanadu I love Olivia Newton John!

It’s been a while- Staind or anything Staind
    Got the life- Korn or anything Korn
    Georgia on my mind- cause I’m a Ga girl!
    And I know that’s more than 1…lol!

July 9, 2011 at 12:13 pm

It’s been awhile is another one of my very favorite songs!!

• Liberty
      July 9, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Love Song by The Cure, not 311(even though they did a killer job on the remake!) Is another song that makes me think about someone. I would probably say I hear it more than Bush right now

• Cricket123
      July 10, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Hey, now!!! “Love Shack” is one of my favorite songs!!! Don’t be hatin’ on it!!! The B-52’s are awesome and you just can’t help but dance while listening to their stuff!

My fave song ever is “Limelight” by Rush. Although, I am pretty partial to “The Dance” by Garth Brooks…

2. Kathy T.
    July 10, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I want to play!

What is the song you’re really digging the most lately?
    One Headlight

Respect. I know it’s a powerful, liberating song. But I hate it.

What is a song you like, but are secretly embarrassed by your liking it?
    Soooo many… will settle on Come on Eileen…

What is your favorite song lyric?
    Don’t your feet get cold in the winter time?
    The sky won’t snow and the sun won’t shine
    It’s hard to tell the night time from the day
    AND
    I don’t mind the sun sometimes
    The images it shows
    I can taste you on my lips
    And smell you in my clothes
    Cinnamon and sugary
    And softly spoken lies
    You never know just how you look
    Through other people’s eyes

What is the worst song lyric ever?
    In the desert you can’t remember your name,
    ‘Cause there ain’t no one for to give you no pain.

A song that makes you think about someone else every time you hear it:
    Fire Burnin’ by Sean Kingston. I think of my daughter every single time because she did her “show” routine with baton to this song.

Goo Goo Dolls – Iris. It transcends generations.

And finally, your favorite song of all time:
    Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve

• Kitti
      July 20, 2011 at 9:47 am

It’s on, Kathy! “Horse with No Name” was my favorite for a long time!!

::gets into fighting stance::

• Kathy T.
        July 20, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I’m not saying I don’t like the song… it’s just that one lyric … is … so wrong. Hahahaha!!

July 10, 2011 at 10:19 pm

I’ll respond but only to say that I’m really not much of a music guy! I do like talk radio, and I like the above references to Bush (George dubya?) and Rush (libaugh, right?)

Ok, just kidding, I’m not that far out of it!

• Cricket123
      July 11, 2011 at 12:28 am

OMG!!!

Comment deleted by poster before getting banned by administrator.

• Turbo
      July 11, 2011 at 12:37 am

Just had an image of Rush Limbaugh singing “Come On, Eileen”, and now I can’t stop shivering…. 😀

• Theresa
        July 11, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Ewww!! Someone please pass the brain bleach!!!

July 10, 2011 at 10:19 pm

looks like I missed an m somewhere…

5. Kitti
    July 20, 2011 at 9:45 am

What is the song you’re really digging the most lately?
    Sean Mullins “I Just Want to Light You Up” because it sounds naughty but it’s really nice. 😀

“Takin’ Care of Business” It makes me want to puke. It describes of all my unemployeable ex-brother-in-laws sitting around drinking beer screaming at my exhausted sisters who held down jobs and tried to raise the kids.

What is a song you like, but are secretly embarrassed by your liking it?
    “Boogie Wonderland” by Earth Wind & Fire. It’s so…disco.

What is your favorite song lyric?
    “To love is to heal, to hurt is to steal. If you wanna kiss the sky, better learn how to kneel. On your knees boy!!”

What is the worst song lyric ever?
    “Ice Ice Baby.” Ok, so you’re a blue eyed rapper and you think you’re SOOO handsome. Go make love to the mirror again.

A song that makes you think about someone else every time you hear it:
    “Thriller” by Michael Jackson. My friends Kathy and Rhonda and I stayed up late to watch it premiere. We were terrified and thrilled!

Four Tops, “I’ll Be There” I LOVE THIS SONG! It is about real love, real friendship. The people who will stand by you. Love love love!! And, you can dance to it.

And finally, your favorite song of all time:
    The song my favorite lyrics come from: Mysterious Ways by U2 Just thinking about it makes my hair stand on end. Listening to that song is like being plugged into a light socket. You were just a sad little appliance a minute ago, but now that you’ve got juice…you can DO!