La Vergne Police Chief Ted Boyd Fired

From the city’s website:

Ted Boyd is no longer associated with the La Vergne Police Department. Boyd began as a patrolman in 1997 and was appointed interim chief from 1999 to 2001. He served as shift lieutenant before being named chief of police in 2007. The city thanks Ted Boyd for his service to the city.

Lt. Kyle Norrod has been appointed as the Interim Chief of Police for La Vergne. He started with the La Vergne Police Department 14 years ago. Norrod began as a patrol officer in 1997, was promoted to investigator, and was named lieutenant in 2008. As lieutenant he served as commander of all investigations (criminal, narcotics, crime scene), as well as evidence, boat patrol, and crime suppression.

Norrod was assigned to the FBI for three years as a member of the Violent Crimes and Gang Task Force. He was named Officer of the Year in 2007 by the Fraternal Order of Police for his work with the task force. The operation involved drug smuggling into the middle Tennessee District that resulted in the seizure of multiple kilos of cocaine and 36 arrests.

Chief Norrod has been in law enforcement for 19 years. He started as a patrol officer in Algood, Tenn., and also worked as a patrol deputy with the Overton County Sheriff’s Department. Additionally, he was a patrol officer with the Livingstone Police Department and was promoted to narcotics investigator, and then to sergeant over the narcotics investigations.

City Administrator Steve Mayer said, “Lieutenant Norrod is highly respected by the entire police department. I am confident in his ability to guide our force and to protect the citizens of our community.”

Sorry, no juicy details there, folks! In addition, here are the news stories from channels 4 and 2:

12 comments for “La Vergne Police Chief Ted Boyd Fired

1. John
    July 1, 2011 at 5:27 pm

This is wonderful news. Tanning Bed Ted was a total embarrassment to this city and had no business being in charge of an entire police department. Here’s hoping this is just the first step in many in getting La Vergne cleaned up.

2. July 1, 2011 at 11:48 pm

As a resident of Lake Forest, we’ve seen a noticeable increase in LPD’s efforts to rid this neighborhood of crime over the last few years. (Drug busts, running radar, etc.) Every community related event that I attended in which Ted Boyd was present, he was always very open and honest with us about everything from crime matters to the budget.

With the new state of flux placed upon this city, it’s a shame to see further instability especially in such an important department.

Obviously we don’t know the full story, yet, but this move seems premature, if not completely unnecessary.

3. Robotoid
    July 2, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I hope the city of LaVergne has some money set aside for wrongful dismissal lawsuits?

• July 2, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Depends on why he was dismissed? We don’t know.

• Debbie Heughan
        July 2, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I agree, we need to have all the facts & info before we can really form an opinion. I always thought it was a terrible mistake when they terminated chief Steve Lindsay a few years ago, he was a very honest & moral person with a good clean reputation. I never understood that one & never really heard a valid answer for it.. I do hate that our police department is unstable right now.. I hope we can get some answers about what is going on & what the plans for the department will be.. I believe it is the rights of the citizens to know what’s going on.. We don’t need another “secret government”..Let’s keep it open!

• Elizabeth
          July 2, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I agree, Debbie….we don’t need another “secret grovernment”….keep the citizens informed of what is going on. We need, and have the right to know….just saying

• Sarah N.
      July 3, 2011 at 7:33 pm

I know the Mayor was adamant about avoiding any more lawsuits for the city. Hopefully they’ve got all the documentation needed to justify the termination.

• terry
      July 5, 2011 at 12:32 pm

the state of tennessee is a right to hire and fire state they dont have to have a reason.

4. tony vanatta
    July 3, 2011 at 6:39 pm

sometime things can’t be said due to a lawsuit.and are told by lawers not to say anything,that why we have them.these days peopel can sue for anyreason so if are city goes under due to petitonner may i will sue stan and mike if they have they money to pay for all this to happen i work for 2 great lawrs and a judge,,hummm but im not the sueing person

5. Liberty
    July 4, 2011 at 9:42 pm

I was trying to figure out who the Cheif was. Now I know. He showed up to the house 2 doors down from me in a red jeep, decked out in a cowboy getup. I though TN was a right to hire state and they didn’t need a reason to fire you?

6. July 5, 2011 at 8:15 pm

In this state a business can let you go for any reason or not a reason just like you can quit anytime without a reason but, you can sue for wrongful discharge. For example, if your Employer lets you go for lets say being tardy to work ten times in a month but there is no documentation to prove it, you may have a case for wrongful discharge. What amazes me is that when an Employee of this City gets fired, they eventually win in court. Stacy Thompson is a prime example. I hope the City is prepared for another court case.

7. Sweat Tea
    July 9, 2011 at 9:20 am

I hope they have a plan to clean-up LaVergne.It was much better when I first moved here over 10 years ago. Now its turning into a ghetto. The thugs and hoods are increasing here more than ever? Is there section 8 housing around that I dont know about? It scary at night in some areas that once were quiet safe places. I think about moving more and more.