What Would Happen If The City Were To Unincorporate?

June 28, 2011
By

This is the press release I received from the city this afternoon. All bold is for emphasis and is mine.

Petition Circulating to “Unincorporate” City

(La Vergne, June 28, 2011) On the tail of a recent city property tax increase, several citizens have spearheaded a petition campaign to unincorporate the City of La Vergne. This information is designed to describe what could occur as the petition moves forward.

1. After signatures of La Vergne registered voters are gathered, the Rutherford County Election Commission would verify they are eligible signatures.
2. The petition must “pray” for a surrender of the charter and must be accompanied by a cash bond to be posted by the petitioners to cover the cost of the election. Election cost varies depending on the number of precincts participating, how long (one day or early voting), how much advertising is required for legal notices, the number of workers needed, and other factors.
3. The special election results would be the will of a simple majority of voters.
4. If the measure does NOT pass, there is a four-year interval before it comes up again.
5. If the measure passes, in 60 days residents become a part of unincorporated Rutherford County.
6. All city workers would be dismissed.

7. A board of trustees would be named to handle the county takeover. According to the Municipal Technical Advisory Service (MTAS), the board is typically the current elected officials serving the city.

8. The board of trustees would have 36 months to transition.
9. All city assets would be sold to pay city debts. Any unpaid debt would be the responsibility of residential property owners. City debt is now approximately $30 million. EXAMPLE: Sold city assets could decrease the debt owed by $10 million. This leaves $20 million in unpaid debt. Number of residential real property owners is 11,165, so the debt owed could be $1791.31 p/house owned.

10. The city’s ISO rating would increase, therefore home ownership property insurance would increase. The amount would be determined based on the new ISO rating.
11. Fire services may revert to a volunteer fire brigade or the current fire company may elect to charge a monthly or annual fee for services. This would be worked out by the trustees.

12. Police service would be handled by the Rutherford County Sheriff’s Office.

Mayor Senna Mosley says of the proposal, “The financial burden this will cause our citizens is far greater than the petitioners are saying. Property owners would be charged a special assessment to pay current city debts. All city employees would be terminated. Our police protection would be at the hands of the sheriff’s office. If the city charter is dissolved, our ISO rating will also go up which means our home owners insurance rates will increase.
“I am appalled that the petitioners care this little for our city, based solely on hearsay and not facts. You should always remember to be careful what you ask for.”

89 Responses to What Would Happen If The City Were To Unincorporate?

1. aunt yoya
    June 28, 2011 at 10:20 pm

And you think things are bad now? I have my own debt to worry about and I am NOT willing to pay anybody else’s because they are pissy about taxes that don’t amount to more than $20 more a month on your house note and $15 at best on your water bill! Get with the program folks this petition is just Bad for everyone!!!!!!!

• kevin
      June 29, 2011 at 6:37 pm

No not 15-20 dollars a month. more like 34 more dollars a month. Taxes will be now 1,850 a year where i live in Lavergne. Not cool!

• blah blah
        June 30, 2011 at 12:20 am

Kevin, are you counting city AND county taxes in that $1,850 per year or just city? If it’s just city, that means your house is worth roughly $740,000 and your county tax bill is $4,560 and your city taxes will have gone up by $925, which is actually $77 per month. If you’ve got that big a house, I suspect you can afford the additional taxes. In this scenario, I’m surprised you are not complaining about how much your county taxes cost, considering the amount of services we get from the county.

I suspect you are looking at your city AND county taxes combined. If so, your home is worth about $213,500 and your COUNTY taxes are approximately $1,315 per year and your total CITY taxes will go up by $267, which equals $22.25 per month, not $34.

June 30, 2011 at 12:25 pm

I thought the exact same thing, but was too sleepy to crunch the numbers when I read the post around midnight. :)

2. AC
    June 28, 2011 at 10:34 pm

and the same people will be running things so what exactly is the point?

3. tony vanatta
    June 28, 2011 at 10:34 pm

thanks posting this,but still they don’t care all these people care about is them self they dont have to worry about if someone down the street is getting robbed or killed they dont have to worry about houses burning down,they dont have to worry about are city two years down the road mayor mosley alderman farmer and alderman broeker do have to worry about it.

June 28, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Exactly, Tony!!

4. June 29, 2011 at 7:04 am

Well, you people wanted change and you got it. You can’t keep blaming the prior administration for everything. Word on the street is 15% of people have signed this petition including me and it’s growing daily. Bye bye lavergne and hello prosperity. A chicken is in every pot.

• Kim
      June 29, 2011 at 10:26 am

The only thing that was blamed on the prior administration was the fact that they bled the city dry. They left no money in the budget for the upcoming year. That’s my issue with this.

• Ben
        June 29, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Where is this petition?

June 29, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Apparently you can see it at Merchandise Liquidators. I suggest not burning anything there, I can’t afford to go anyone’s bail, lol. ;)

• Ben
            June 29, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Maybe I can just spill my bottle of water on it. The whole thing!!!

• Cricket123
            June 29, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Guess I know where I’m not buying anything anymore.

• Debbie Heughan
        June 29, 2011 at 10:37 pm

As a Realtor for over 15 years & a homeowner in La Vergne, And a business woman, It is my educated opinion that if the petition were to get passed, the homeowners would see properties fall even further below the home prices in comparable cities.. Our homeowners insurance would rise to the point that most homeowners would not be able to afford it. The homeowners & business owners would be charged a special assessment of at least $1700. per property owned, along with their regular county taxes, the majority of homeowners would not be able to afford this enormous increase & could possible lose their homes due to tax liens they cannot pay..The city would lose a lot of businesses because of the assessments & the much higher cost of insurance. We would lose the city police & fire dept. & would have to possible have to contract the fire dept & pay them a month fee so they will come if we have a fire.. We would have to rely on county sheriffs dept for patrol & safety, which they are seriously understaffed & could not possibly provide any comparable police protection.. There are many other irreparable damages that would hit all the property owners so hard that the majority would never be able to recover their losses, especially during the bad economic times we are facing.. We need to stand together to protect our city & continue to let the new administration fix this city & right all the wrongs that have been done to us as a whole by the past administrations…This city is at a crossroads, & we all need to make sure we are getting all the facts & monetary cost before ever thinking twice about signing a petition that will hurt us all…Surely people are educated enough to look into the facts before signing a petition like this…Please pray for our city.. God Bless The City Of La Vergne…

• Angie
      June 29, 2011 at 10:41 am

1) We did ask for change and we are accepting it and the cost of those changes.

2) We are blaming the past administration for the mistakes that were made while they were in office. You are blaming the current administration for fixing the former admins mistakes. Explain to me how that is a better solution? If a store raises its prices to cover losses for shoplifting would that be the store’s fault or the shoplifter?

3)Maybe you should say bye bye to Lavergne and MOVE! Then again if you stay maybe you and the 15% who have signed the petition can pay for my portion of the city debt and the increase of my homeowners insurance!

• June 29, 2011 at 12:49 pm

This petition has not hit our side of LaVergne, but my neighbors and I have been informing other residents about how bad this would be for the local residency as well as the city. The county stated they don’t want to take us over as well.

• Angie
        June 29, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I live near Lavergne Lake Elementary and it hasn’t hit this side yet.

I am REALLY hoping I’m home when they do stop by though. Just so I can have them explain it all, ask many, many, many questions, pretend to be extremely interested and then give them my opinion!

• Ben
          June 29, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Don’t worry Angie, I am installing my petition signers booby traps today! Don’t worry I will make sure I put up a warning sign so I don’t get sued.

• Kandy Pierce
        June 29, 2011 at 9:18 pm

I doubt they will be coming door to door of citizens. They are going to business owners so they can raise funds for the cost should they get enough signatures. Good Lord forbid they spend much of their own money and they do not care what it will do to the rest of us cause they will have the funds to protect themselves. After all that is the American way right the rich get richer and their own way while the middle class is set down to lower class and the lower class and fixed income seniors get thrown out into the streets.

• Patrick Clark
          July 5, 2011 at 7:56 am

The business owners really should care about us since we are the ones who must help keep them in business. But, if we’re unable to keep our homes due to the ridiculous cost increases we would see thanks to the changes this petition would result in should it pass, then those businesses will be the very last thing on our minds. In short, I believe those businesses would be signing themselves away in the bigger picture. Maybe they should have some sense enough to think about that.

• kevin
      June 29, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Were do i sign

• mark
      June 29, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Pookie I hope you have $1700 to pay the county for the city debt and I wish you well in case of a fire or needing the police. go to city hall and have Senna show you everything from the past. the last mayors have left the city in ruins and debt not Senna. She is just trying to make sure the city will still run like it should. DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!

• Patrick Clark
        July 5, 2011 at 8:07 am

I agree Mark. Sometimes positive change does require at least a little extra cost. Like anybody else, I’m not crazy about tax increases. But, if there is a positive outcome with those increases, I will be on board. With the tax increases Mayor Moseley has proposed, we have a chance to actually see our city get stronger. However, the increases that would come as a result of our city becoming unincorporated might just be great enough to ultimately make our city uninhabited.

5. Angie
    June 29, 2011 at 8:37 am

What worries me is how many uninformed people will sign the petition without really realizing what harm they could be doing. I personnally am making sure everyone who I come in contact with are made aware of what’s going on.

It’s amazing how many people I have spoken with that complain about the taxes and the water and the Mayor and everything else, but don’t realize the reasons why these things had to be increased. That’s when I do my best to explain it and direct them here. This website is a GREAT asset to Lavergne and has really helped me take off the rose colored glasses and start paying attention to what is going on in my town.

6. Cee Dee
    June 29, 2011 at 8:43 am

Sounds like a bunch of folks who are not getting their way any more grasping at straws — this will hurt the City much more than these folks realize. Someone has not done their homework. Rutherford County is already in a debt problem — why would they take on more. Talking about having to pay out more per household!!

7. mark
    June 29, 2011 at 9:49 am

I see the good ole country boys are still fighting and trying to keep things the way they were….they are the ones that got the town into trouble afterall. I see the mayor of the county doesnt want the burden of running the city it this happened. I think we need to protest those that are doing this to show them who is boss? If i dont get my way then I will cry like a baby until I do…..that is what they are thinking right now. some people just dont get it do they? more taxes mean more cops and better services…….stop your bitchin and get over it or move out of town and please dont come to smyrna…we dont want your type here!!

• Ben
      June 29, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I’m in for a protest. Let’s do this on Stan Glasgow’s front lawn.

8. Kim Kleber
    June 29, 2011 at 10:05 am

How dare you! People are so freaking uninformed and now they are trying to cost me more money, just because they can’t get their way they want to act like a child. I for one, hope and pray they come to my door and ask me to sign it. They won’t like what I have to say. Most of these people don’t know what they are talking about. They are listening to lies that other have told them. They think they are complaining about their tax increase, how are they going to pay the extra $1700 to pay off the debt the city owes?

9. Jason
    June 29, 2011 at 10:06 am

I had to call the Rutherford County Sheriff to report a crime outside LaVergne on I-24 last month — they told me it would be a few hours before they could get “all the way up there.” They then called at midnight to see if they could come out in the morning instead. The crime was a relatively minor theft from a disabled vehicle and thus understandably a lower priority but how quick would it be to get the Sheriff out here for anything if we were unincorporated? Didn’t LVPD establish a substation in Lake Forest Estates? Do we think the Sheriff’s office would take that over? I don’t know what I’d be most concerned with if this were to pass — crime or further jacking up property values. Sounds like a classic case of “cutting off your nose to spite your face.” Or, “use your head for something other than a hat rack.”

10. Cee Dee
    June 29, 2011 at 10:58 am

Do you think any of these unfortunate people supposedly signing this petition know they will have to pay for a “special election” should it come about! From what I have learned, it could cost lots of out of pocket $ per signer — get real people!! You need to know what you are actully doing by signing that piece of paper. You are definitely making matters so much worst for the whole city & without the facts you are looking really silly even talking about it — my opinion & a lot of other folks’ as well!

11. EARL WILSON
    June 29, 2011 at 11:15 am

As for what happens if, remember almost 200 people UNEMPLOYED, men and women many over 45 years old UNEMPLOYED. MR. Glascow will get more business for his mini storage facility that the prior administration allowed to be built in a residential area. Loooks so nice doesn’t it?

Right now we have between 6 and 15 police officers on duty DEDICATED SOLELY to the city limits all day, if the Sheriff takes over as presently constructed, La Vergne would have TWO deputies that is it. And they are subject to be backing up a call in Eagleville at any moment.

Dont worry about calling public works to help with roads or such because they will not be there.

Dont worry about having someone to help market the city in the city because they will be in Murfreesboro.

Dont worry about your house catching fire, because in about 45 minutes the volunteers, if there are any, will be there.

And also dont worry about having any input with the county government. MAyor Burgess said they dont want us.

And as for the property tax rate, well that will be going up because the county leaders will use that as a NEW excuse to raise county property taxes.

• Kandy Pierce
      June 29, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Earl, I agree with everything you have stated, but the unemployed will be well over 200. The local businesses will close or cut numbers or simply move out. In addition, crime will move in and drug sells will increase and become more openly done. Our schools will be treated worse by the county than they are now too!

• Debbie Heughan
        June 29, 2011 at 10:41 pm

I guess I should start shopping for extra guns & booby traps since some good ole boys want to cause us to live in Dodge City without a sherrif…Grannies get your guns..

12. Leanne
    June 29, 2011 at 11:20 am

My advice is to make sure you are a registered voter and let your thoughts be heard at the polls when (or if) this hits the polls in the fall.

JMHO.

13. EARL WILSON
    June 29, 2011 at 11:31 am

and one more thing,,,,,when you have a family, you have to feed the family, well if you have a familyof two, then you can buy one loaf of bread a week, if your family grows to five then you cant buy just one loaf of bread to feed them all. the city is like that family, you can not provide for 32000 with the same amounts as you did for 17500.

AS FOR PROPERTY REASSESSMENTS THAT IS A COUNTY FUNCTION THAT IS MANDATED BY STATE LAW!!!!!THE CITY HAS NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT

14. Ben
    June 29, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Can we get a petition to ban Stan Glasgow from the city? My mortgage payment is only an extra $10 since the tax hike. Big whoop! My water bill has actually only raised about $5. Where is this petition because I’m going to burn it!!!

• Debbie Heughan
      June 30, 2011 at 8:40 pm

I just want to see who all has signed it, just so I will know right up front who is a certified idiot & who is set on destroying our city..

June 30, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Interesting point, Debbie. Are the signatures public information, or confidential like voting records? I would bet the info isn’t public, but I’d sure like to know, too.

June 29, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Perhaps I’m being naive, but I truly think this petition is just the effort of a few disgruntled residents and will die quickly. When folks find out they have to pony up money for the bond and the election itself, as well as absorb their share of the City’s unpaid debts, they’ll change their tune. Keep in mind that these are the same people who raised hell about their water bill going up a few dollars a month.

What concerns me more is that according to the DNJ, there are only 15,500 registered voters in LaVergne. Does anybody know what percentage that is of the population as a whole? I was thinking half, then realized that the total population figure of 33,000 includes kids. Duh. :)

• June 29, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Sherry I hope you are right about this dying a quick death!

• Kandy Pierce
      June 29, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Yet if you look at past elections only about 40% of registered voters even voteand that is being generous. It is sad what citizens want to stand behind – misinformation and untruths. I hope this petition does die away soon!

16. Tom Broeker
    June 29, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Sherry, 15,500 registered voters would make up around 47.6 % of our total population here in La Vergne. There were 22,202 people of the voting age (18+) as of 2010. Some of these may not be eligible, however, roughly 70% of people aged 18 or above in the city are registered. Whether they choose to exercise their priviledges is another story.

17. June 29, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Well,well. The new administrations been in office less than six months and a petition is being generated to do away with the local gov’t. I am not surprised. You should of listened to Alderman Waldron and gradually raised the rates. He is the only one with a brain. What we need to do is do is recall these city officials who voted for this assinine tax increase. Keep giving them hell Dennis! LaVergne loves you

• Kim
      June 29, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Speak for your self. I for one, want him out of office. He is part of the problem

• Cee Dee
        June 30, 2011 at 10:05 am

• Sarah N.
      June 29, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Gee Kevin, I thought you said you moved to Brentwood? So none of this affects you any more, does it? Unless, of course, you were lying. But you would never do that, would you Pookie? I mean Bettie… er Steven… no, Dean! Wait… Spanky! Oh, whatever the heck name you are trolling under tonight!

• June 29, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Don’t forget haribalz also

• Debbie Heughan
      June 30, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Kevin, Kevin, Kevin….That is the sound of the old administration crying because they no longer have the majority vote at city hall.. Their votes no longer count, so they would rather destroy the city as a whole & that includes you..they shouldn’t be your heros, they are your worst nightmare if they get their wish..Check out some facts please & don’t count on Waldron’s brain….use your own or get in touch with a better source for info & facts..

18. kevin
    June 29, 2011 at 3:26 pm

People i understand Lavergne needing more money and assistance in this growing community. What i don’t agree with is doubling our property tax. Really now, Double?? I could see a percentage tax increase, but do not agree on doubling our taxes. Lets not forget other cost that have gone up, Electric, water, gas, grocery. Don’t even ask what i think about Lavergnes water. It all adds up when your on a fix income. The rich never can understand lower income residents. I would like to see these people live on my income for a month and still feed there family’s. I’m a proud working american. Do not agree with this greedy tax increase. Were do I sign this petition?

• Kandy Pierce
      June 29, 2011 at 9:43 pm

The rich are the ones starting the petition. The board members are middle class just as yourself. Well except for Dennis maybe since his family has wealth. Also if Dennis and past officials had raise taxes at all over the past 18 years then this board would not have to be doing it all at once to keep our city from going bankrupt. That would cost us all as much as this pull the charter petition will if accomplished!Yes, I realize Mayor Mosley was on that board for the past term and a half, but she was voted down at every turn during that time too.

• Kim
      June 29, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Uninformed.

19. steve noe
    June 29, 2011 at 3:34 pm

LOLMAO is about all I can say to this, Mayor Mosley has shown time and time again about the water and sewer rates and the debt and the tax issue and still people think that it’s all smoke and mirrors, I for one am/was nervous about stuff that I don’t understand but once I see it in writing and proof, there is nothing else left to do but SUCK IT UP, “like it or not” and do what’s best for the city, this whole idea about turning Lavergne over to the county is child’s play, pointing fingers and lashing out WILL NOT help Lavergne in anyway, I have seen messages after messages from Mayor Mosley and Alderman Broeker to come and sit down and let them show you the past and the present and most important the FUTURE. It’s not rocket science “IF IT LOOKS LIKE A DUCK,WALKS LIKE A DUCK,EATS LIKE A DUCK, then guess what? It’s a DUCK…….To think that 1 or 2 people could put this much CRAP into people’s head and make them believe that Lavergne was in great shape before we got someone to show us that it WAS NOT is beyond me. All I can say is man up and woman up and take a chance on the FACTS that have been shown and go to city hall and set down with the board and then and only then If you don’t see that Lavergne is not what you thought, THEN you have a leg to stand on, until then, PLEASE stop putting idea’s into our neighbor’s heads and feeling there thoughts with all this childish crap about inviting the county to control us, I know If I were a city employee I would be very upset.

• steve noe
      June 29, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Sorry I meant FILLING there thoughts, that’s why I am not a writer……….

20. Thomas
    June 29, 2011 at 4:00 pm

I wonder if those supporting unincorporating realize they would likely lose the library and parks along with everything else?

Also, someone (county?) would have to take over water and sewer. What is to say the rates they set would not be just as high or higher?

21. mark
    June 29, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I say everyone should boycott the mini storage units and let him see how it feels.

If they dont want to pay the higher property tax then why would they want to pay the $1,700 per home? Say someone owns 100 homes and 3 businesses…they will have to pay alot more if the city disovled…they are really hurting themselfs but they are to stupid to relize this. Amon would own the county so much money, the Walrdons would too. Like I have always said Karma is a Bitch!

• Debbie Heughan
      June 30, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Karma is my friend….

• Elizabeth
      July 23, 2011 at 9:45 pm

isn’t this mini-storage unit complex in a residential area? Just asking if anyone knows better then let me know…just saying

22. mark
    June 29, 2011 at 6:08 pm

1. http://pubrec.lavergnetn.gov/Weblink8/DocView.aspx?id=2993&searchid=aa92be5d-4317-4df2-a466-2245fe6944a1&dbid=0

2. http://pubrec.lavergnetn.gov/Weblink8/DocView.aspx?id=3028&searchid=aa92be5d-4317-4df2-a466-2245fe6944a1&dbid=0

3. http://pubrec.lavergnetn.gov/Weblink8/DocView.aspx?id=2947&searchid=aa92be5d-4317-4df2-a466-2245fe6944a1&dbid=0

if you go and look at the website for the city you will see the first two links back in the 1990′s I have posted the tx rate was.54 per one hundred. The 3rd link was 1999 and the tax rate was .50 per one hundred. it hasnt changed since …that is 12 yrs with the same tax rate while others in the state have had taxes raised and recieved better services. You people want retail and resturants to come to town then the tax rate will help with the IPO rating and this will help with retail, etc coming into town. its in black and white for all to see…dont let others feed you a line of bullcrap. there is so much the old admistrations have done in the past that have hurt lavergne…like turning away the nashville sounds staduim….go search yourself and see everything you will be appauled once you find out information about your town that has kept it from growing.

23. Elizabeth
    June 29, 2011 at 9:24 pm

I truly appreciate your research even though you don’t live in La Vergne any more. Someone said we would be “cutting our nose off to spite our face”….how stupid is that. I am on social security and can’t afford the extra taxes or increase in water/sewer but I will find a solution for me….like I always say, “where there is a will, there is a way”. La Vergne is turning into a city tha I am proud to live in. If we would all sit back and let Mayor Senna and the board members do their job, we will see great things in the future and our city will be one of the best in Middle TN….just saying…

• Jason
      June 30, 2011 at 9:32 am

By “cutting off our nose to spite our face” I meant that the petition to unincorporate is a highly irrational over-reaction to the tax increase; unincorporating would do more harm than good. I think you and I are on the same page — higher taxes aren’t going to be easy on either of us but the prospect of not funding necessary services is a less attractive option for our future well-being.

24. June 29, 2011 at 10:10 pm

People who live in the city are mad as hell with this new administration and that is why a petition is circulating to do away with the local gov’t. I look at all the things they should of cut instead of raising taxes so steeply. Why in the hell are city leaders putting on a fireworks show that costs $15,000 if we are broke? Why is old timers day a three day event if we are so poor? Lavergne is not broke. Lavergne has a spending problem. If you do not have the money, don’t spend people it’s plain and simple. I hope we can recall Mosley, broker, green and farmer instead of gettin rid of the city gov’t. Im mad as hell and can’t take it anymore!

• Sarah N.
      June 29, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Once again folks, this comment was posted by the same guy who posts as Kevin (with a capital K, different from little k kevin, who is legit as far as I can tell), Dean, Bettie, and a very long list of other names. And you should see the stuff we don’t approve!

• Angie
      June 30, 2011 at 8:52 am

Did you ever stop to think that maybe those events RAISE money for the city? The vendors and exhibitors PAY the city to sell/exhibit at OTF. Oh and don’t forget the local businesses that will benefit from the extra sales. So yeah it may be costing the city money to host this festival and fireworks and parade and other events but guess what the city MAKES money by doing it.

June 29, 2011 at 10:35 pm

I can’t believe I am having to type this again…

WE DO NOT HAVE THE SAME TAXES NOW THAT WE HAD IN 1999/WHEN WE ONLY HAD 17,000 RESIDENTS!! WE HAD A TAX INCREASE THE LAST TIME PROPERTY WAS RE-ASSESED, 2010.

When you have more people living here and living in more houses, there re more taxes being paid, so that myth is debunked. And when the property values are re-assesed (like they were last year), the city is required by law to lower the property tax rate so that the actual taxes don’t increase. So with last years county re-assesement, property values went up so the property taxes would have to have been lowered to $.46 or something along those lines. But the city board voted to keep the rate at $.50. For those of you who own property in La Vergne, look at your tax bill from 2008 and compare it to last years. Unless your home lost value, your taxes went up!

My anger is in the fact that a 100% increase was note needed to fund the boards plans for this year, but they passed it anyway because they didn’t want to come back and possibly raise taxes again next year. I guess at the time they were afraid people might revolt at another tax increase next year. Well, they got their revolt anyway.

I am not sure this petition is the answer. I have said on this board several times (before and after the last election), that we should explore combining with Smyrna. The problem is that most people in Smyrna look down on La Vergne and don’t want to have anything to do with us. Those of use in La Vergne have no choice but to tolerate Smyrna. If you want to go to Wal-Mart, Publix, Chili’s, Cracker Barrell, Home Depot, K-Mart, bowling, or any other number of things, your money leaves La Vergne. I choose Smyrna because my money stays in the county. What do people in Smyrna have to come to La Vergne for, auto parts?

I will add I was disappointed to hear Angie Mayes quoted as calling this town a dump. She was tasked for many years with the responsibility of making this town what it is. Her calling the town a dump would be equivelent to me saying my kids are ugly; my kids being ugly wouldn’t say anything good about me either!

• Sarah N.
      June 29, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Hey Michael, if you want to be able to spend more of your money in La Vergne, I hope you’ll sign my petition to bring a Trader Joe’s here. :)

• michaelinLV
        June 29, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Quite honestly, I probably wouldn’t shop at Trader Joe’s if it were i my back yard. It’s just not my style! But I can still sign the petition :)

Then we can start an organization to complete with Sima and call it Lima! And members could be Lima Beans? OK, it’s getting late…

• Turbo
      July 2, 2011 at 4:15 pm

michaelinLV – you appear to have thought this thing about 50% of the way through. You are correct that property tax revenue generation increases with the increase in population. You totally neglect to consider, however, three other factors directly associated with population increase:

1. Tax money has to be spent on the installation of new electric, water and sewer infrastructure development to support all those new residences.

2. Once installed, that new infrastructure doesn’t maintain itself for free – additional revenue is required for ongoing maintenance of the new installations.

3. These new installations don’t exist in a vacuum – they’re extensions hooked onto existing infrastructure, which frequently must also be upgraded to handle the increased load.

Of course in La Vergne, we have to caveat #3 quite a bit, because prior administrations have always been recalcitrant to recognize the fact that continued nonstop expansion does in fact have an impact on existing infrastructure. Not that money has been saved by this omission, tho – it just means more money is continually spent instead on continuous band-aid patches to the increasingly decrepit infrastructure. This doesn’t begin to address the underlying issue, but it does provide a certain amount of job security to the Public Works personnel. :(

One last point: increased residential and industrial growth may result in the amount of taxes and service costs being _assessed_; that means nothing, however, unless someone actually gets around to _collecting_ those monies. La Vergne has a long history of looking the other way in cases of tax and water/sewer bill delinquency – particularly when the delinquency is on the part of industrial/commercial services, and particularly when the business owner/operator lists the mayor and/or member(s) of the Board of Aldermen amongst his friends.

26. Gunner M.
    June 29, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Don’t forget that Smyrna likely will annex the business strip behind the target to increase our tax base and to offer them fire and police protection quicker than the county can. Just my opinion.

27. Jessi
    June 30, 2011 at 12:18 am

Ok, so my hubby was asking a question earlier and I KNOW I saw a post on it. “Harley’s for the police dpt, why?” was his question. I know I saw a post on a budget meeting but I dont remember how far back it was. Can you point me in that direction please?

As for this petition…. I think its high time that Dennis Waldron return to running the multiple business his family has a hand in and leave the city gov’t to take care of it. UNLESS he is willing to dump some of the Waldron Enterprises profit margins into the city budget…

And this is certainly not the way to solve a problem. I dont know about the rest of you, but someone said the average tax increase makes about $34 a month…. I can afford $480 (12 months @ $34) MUCH better than I can afford $1700. And at least I know that in the case that I needed them, I have Fire and Police within city limits at all times. Grant you, I have called out on a Saturday for LPD (non-emergency)to come because a neighbor from the other end of the street was FLYING (@ about 50-60) down our street (posted speed limit is 20, and there were TONS of kids out) and it took the officer almost an hour to get here. When he did, he explained that he was one of 3 on duty and he was actually a narcotics detective, not your average patrolman. I think that is crazy considering the size of our city.

Mayor Mosely has not even really had the opportunity to show the city what she can do for us. Give her a chance! This is madness to think that eliminating so many jobs is going to fix anything at all!!!

28. Jack
    June 30, 2011 at 12:45 am

This is…MY town…too.

I shop, eat, drink, fuel and pay taxes here.  I am employed by the City of La Vergne. I love my job and I love WHO we are and WHO we represent… YOU the taxpayers…and I love the citizens back! and NO, I am NOT the Mayor…just a mere peon. My entire (one income) paycheck comes from YOU the citizens. 365 days of the year YOU “the citizens” feed and clothe ME and MY children. I put my faith and trust in “the powers that be” every work day. I don’t forget WHO I serve (God first). Do I agree with “the powers that be that work at City Hall” every single day? NO. But I don’t make the big decisions nor do I make the big bucks.

But I do have a job… thanks to YOU the citizens and I thank each and every one of you every day. If you feed, clothe and insure me and my kids 365 days of the year…the LEAST I can do is VOLUNTEER my time for The Old Timers Day Festival AND 4th of July or any other function THIS city desires to host so YOU don’t want or have to go to any OTHER town to participate or spend your dollars in. I want any event THIS city hosts to be successful and so should all of you. First and foremost, I don’t like to think that I work “for” anyone but to work “with” anyone. Yeah, it might be lame, but here it goes… “there really is no “I” in “team” and I hope and pray that I am not the only one that thinks this way.

The Mayor and Aldermen and support staff are doing their best with what they have. The entire team’s Supervisors and support staff has been asked…ok, told… to all step up to the plate and DO their jobs and fix what is broken with less (just like you in soooo many ways). And we have… without any new employees and in most cases without replacing those who are no longer with us any longer (to their liking or not).

But when City taxes haven’t been raised in a gazillion years. I’d say the City “powers that be” has had your back for ALL OF THOSE YEARS so yeah it was overdue in coming … gradual would have been MY preference, but they didn’t ask me. Water and sewer rates went up. FINALLY, but again “the powers that be” had your backs again for that (paid it for you without raising anything) for a gazillion years also and paid metro Nashville out of YOUR tax dollars to take YOUR poo. (a lot needs fixing and they are working on that and have fixed overdue repairs with what they had and apparently went into debt) Wanted some streets widened (yeah look, their taking care of that too). Repairs, repairs, repairs on water and sewer with less staff. Trying to keep up with the chipper service before and after storms and shoveling snow and more snow and more snow and floods and stormwater repairs and they are working with limited staff to make sure people are cutting their lawns and absorbing the costs of doing so and they don’t have many officers to enforce. Yeah…it costs to do that. Costs LOTS. We are here and we are trying our hardest to not disappoint YOU.

As for shopping LaVergne FIRST. I do that! It should be a must for the citizens of La Vergne and their employees! I WANT to buy clothes here for me and my kids. ISO ratings will bring it here. I want my police protection haven’t had a new cop since 1999! Yeah, I was surprised to learn that! Do you know how many firemen we have in LaVergne? I about crapped when I found that out! I want my fire protection to ensure that retail will want to show up and play the game. I want skilled employees who are qualified and knowledgable (and knowledgable about their departments within) in those positions that they hold and be passionate AND compassionate about making sure no employee is left behind when the smoke clears from all of OUR transitions and what we’ve inherited as messes clears as well. Yeah I want a lot, and YES it costs… all of us but then again “This IS my town too!” so, please, PLEASE keep it YOUR town too.

June 30, 2011 at 12:49 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Awesome comment.

• Jack
        June 30, 2011 at 1:19 am

No ma’am…it is I that needs to Thank you.

I’d love to go on and on about Parks and Rec and all that they do, and do, and do. But will have to save it for another day. As it is getting late and I will get up soon and go to work in the morning…thanks again citizens. “as the song Takin Care of Business” plays cranked in the background right before I get there ;-)

• June 30, 2011 at 5:50 am

Epic!

• Angie
      June 30, 2011 at 9:05 am

Yoo Hoo!! Can you hear the roor from the standing ovation?? if not you should! Great comment and I couldn’t agree more!

• Cee Dee
      June 30, 2011 at 10:22 am

What wonderful from the heart comments. Thank you for serving La Vergne & for caring . . .

29. Leanne
    June 30, 2011 at 8:01 am

To refresh people’s memory. This post on the TIL website was from October 4, 2010 – questions for the candidate for Mayor – Senna Mosley.

30. Jessica
    June 30, 2011 at 8:35 am

what part of “whether you like the hikes or not, it’s happening?” you can choose the lesser of two evils:
    a.) the increases that are mandatory by the city because the city footed the bill for so long on keeping our taxes smaller and can no longer do such.
    OR
    b.) whine and complain about it, not be informed, sign an idiot’s piece of paper and let it get worse?

hmmm..i’ll take option a. the rates are going to go up no matter what because the city tried to keep them as low as they could for the citizens as possible. not to mention, WE KNEW THIS WAS COMING! what else do you want? fairy dust and glitter sprayed on your properties to make them appear smaller to pay less? too bad. not happening. man up, own up to what you own, and pay for it. everybody else has to do the same. yes the rates have gone up, but this isn’t 1970-something, 80-something anymore. cost of living and the expenses of running said electric/water companies has grown, too. it’s not just you they’re trying to punish, it’s business. and i’m sorry if you are going to keep whining and not pay your bills, feel free to leave. the end :)

31. master drill sargent
    June 30, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Well have been out of touch, seems like a lot of bitching on here. There is a lot of he said she said going on. It seems that the Mayor And Aldermen are getting slammed except for Mr. Waldron. I for one voted for the mayor, because I wanted to see change here. So if it takes raising taxes then so be it. Rome was not built over night, and so La Vergne will not be fixed over night either. The board has explained they have put in place a 5 year plan, did your previous mayor do this? I for one am willing to give them the chance to make changes before I make any judgement calls. I am a middle class citizen and by no means well off, but if they (the board) have spent hours and days, looking at the budget and making cuts where they could, then I have to give them the chance to make it work. As for the man that started this whole up roar, remember what goes around comes around. I read the paper and understand that you have a storage facility, are you scared that you won’t have that extra dollar to spend on yourself? Well enough said, BUT I WILL TAKE MY CHANCES AND CONTINUE TO STAND AND SUPPORT THE BOARD THAT I VOTED FOR. (EXCEPT WALDRON)

32. faye
    July 1, 2011 at 12:16 am

Let’s don’t forget the water treatment plant gets shut down. Good luck finding water. And that sewer wouldn’t flow and would back up into your homes

33. Liberty
    July 1, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Who in their right mind thought this was a good idea?????I wasn’t happy about the property taxes being raise but I know that this isn’t something I want to have to pay for!!! Don’t bother knocking on my door!

34. Squirrel
    July 1, 2011 at 9:53 pm

“city of lake forest”, it’s catchy, and the rest of Lavergne doesn’t have to deal with that problem anymore

• Debbie Heughan
      July 2, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Lake forest is not what is causing laVergne’s budget problems…My guess is there are more property tax dollars on this side of Murfreesboro Rd. than on the other side..so that means Lake Forest as a whole pays more for the services that everybody gets.. The big problem is the bitching & complaining about what is wrong or what is not working…I say we are all in the same boat & need to use our brains & energy to find solutions for the problems in this city instead of bickering so much. So what is your solution?

35. Turbo
    July 2, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Here’s a novel idea for Dennis Waldron and the rest of those who have issues with the current administration’s attempts to correct the mismanagement of past administrations:

Leave.

That’s right. Just go.

Don’t throw a fit because you don’t like the way the rules of the game have changed. Just pick up your marbles and go. Somewhere else. ANYWHERE else.

But don’t try to mess up the game for the rest of us who actually give a crap about the City of La Vergne. La Vergne is not the private possession of the Waldron family, nor any other. You can take your marbles, but leave the rest alone. We’ll deal with the town’s problems without you quite nicely, thank you very much.

One issue associated associated with this political ploy immediately leaps to my mind: what is the procedure required to request a recall vote for an Alderman? Because Dennis Waldron has made it crystal clear that in his mind, his personal issues outweigh those of the City of La Vergne. Never mind the fact that in the long run, unincorporation would increase individual citizens’ water and sewer tax burden while service decreases. Never mind with the loss of the La Vergne Fire Department, residential fire insurance rates would skyrocket almost as much as fire department response times (From where would units respond? Smyrna? Murfreesboro?) Waldron’s position is clear; he doesn’t agree with the current mayor’s policies; instead of doing as countless residents have done through numerous administrations (i.e., growing up and learning how to work with people you don’t necessarily like or agree with), he wants to functionally blow up the town – and the lives of multiple residents – in a fit of personal pique. Derned if I want someone like that having oversight responsibility over my tax dollars.

36. Elizabeth
    July 2, 2011 at 8:13 pm

I haven’t read all of these responses (too lengthy) but I do have some names to add to the list with Stan Glasgow:
    –Mike Webb (1st Tire) not sure if he will sign petition
    –Agnes Parker-Smith (Parkers Thrift Store)seems like she is for it
    –George Hickey, homeowner

I found these 3 names (with their pictures) after researching Stan Glasgow, La Vergne, TN on GOOGLE….it came up under “UPSET BY PROPERTY TAX HIKE LA VERGNE RESIDENTS TRY TO DISSOLVE CITY GOVERNMENT” which was posted in The Tennessean….

I too am a senior citizen and on a fixed income but the raises in water/sewer and taxes should have been done many, many years ago. I will cut more corners wherever I can to pay my increases because I now really LIKE LIVING in La Vergne and not ashamed to say so. BUT I do not want to pay an additional $1700/1800 more if the city charter is dissolved….if that happens, maybe Stan or the others who are for this could give this poor lady the money to take care of this additional expense….think so???? doubt it….and there are too many people in La Vergne (that voted for Senna and her new board members) to keep this from happening….I’ll vote with Senna again to overturn this…thanks for letting me put my 2 cents in….just saying…

37. Jim. Registered Voter
    July 11, 2011 at 3:20 pm

What bothers me. The Police Department rides around in Brand New Top of the Line Dodge Chargers and various Late model vehicles. New Four Wheel Trail Vehicles (Someone in the city needed a new hunting vehicle)in the Park during the Firworks Show.
    $12,000 Fireworks Show! I’m on a fixed income and they spend tax money like it’s going out of style. Stop all the excessive spending already. I could’ve lived without the Fireworks this year.
    Time to start cutting expenses and pay as you go. No wonder they want to do away with the City. At this point I’ll sign the petition. We should be a Metro Government anways. How much money could be saved if LaVergne, Smyrna, and Murfressboro formed their on Metro Government.

• Rich Long
      July 11, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Fireworks show was paid for by Mr. Erwin. City had 5 year contract with this company and this is year 3 I think. The contract was to have fireworks at Old Timers Day so the current board decided since they HAD to have fireworks anyway move them to the 4th of July and get 2 events instead of just one. There will be no fireworks for Old Timers Day this year.

• Sarah N.
      July 11, 2011 at 7:15 pm

There’s only been new police cruiser since Mayor Mosley’s election, and it was bought to replace one that was totaled when it was hit by a drunk driver, and the drunk driver’s insurance company paid for it.

38. B.S.
    July 11, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Recall Mayor Mosley. The Property Tax Increase and Raised Water Rates are her Cash Register. Just got to spend that tax money… How about cutting the size of city workforce. There were quite a few companies that had to lay off employee’s and do more work with less people.

• Rich Long
      July 11, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Why don’t you take a look at the comparision of the number of city workers in La Vergne vs Smyrna posted on the city’s site. We have a lot lot less people. Where would you like to cut.. Close all the parks? Have none of the 5 guys from streets to come out when the water mains break? Police? where? What city service are you willing to LOSE!