Open Thread Friday: Gossipy Edition

So, I hear there are a couple of petitions going around town. One of which, people want to do away with the city charter and get rid of the board of mayor and aldermen altogether. Talk about cutting off one’s nose to spite their face! Wouldn’t you LOVE to live in a town with no police and fire protection? Especially, here?

Another petition, I hear, is targeting Senna specifically. I guess these people have never considered that Senna is not the only person who voted to raise taxes.

Personally, I think it would be fun if we got rid of the city charter. I’ll stage a coup and take over. I’ll triple taxes and use the money to kick everyone out of town that I don’t like. And, get me a pony. <-----this entire paragraph is me joking around, for the humor impaired. So, it's open thread time. What is on your mind, La Vergne? What do you think about these petitions?

55 comments for “Open Thread Friday: Gossipy Edition

1. June 24, 2011 at 1:56 pm

First, I will say I support the right of people to petition for recall & referendums. The people should always have a tool to remove those they don’t agree with from office.
    Second, I do not support the calls for the mayor to be recalled nor do I support the referendum petition.
    Third, at this point I don’t believe any will succeed considering the time and money people would have to invest in them.

2. Heather
    June 24, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Wow. So everyone wants to live in the Wild, Wild West. Perhaps they should move there. I love (note sarcasm here) that people want more services out of the town, but don’t get that “there is no such thing as a free lunch” (key lesson of my 9th grade economics class!).

It seems we would rather be spending beyond our means (like many people do in their personal life) as a city than make difficult decisions to reduce spending or increase income. We HAVE to start being financially responsible. It is a crisis at the city, county,state and (of course) federal levels. We need to prioritize our needs. And core city services such as police and fire are definitely priorities.

We have to take a step back and look at what is best for the people of La Vergne. We have to stop punishing people for making the tough decisions (as they are usually unpopular). If you continually vote in people who tell you what you want to hear, bad things usually follow…

• Debbie Heughan
      June 24, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Amen Heather…How about we just divide the city up into two groups..The ones that are willing to pay for the better city services will pay & will receive them..The ones that don’t want to pay for the services will not pay & will not be entitled to the services.. But if our cops catch them driving on our roads or using our water or sewer services,, I want them to be charged with theft of services & prosecuted & fined to the maximum. and if they go to jail, I don”t want them to go for free, they need to pay for room & boarding fees.. and they need to sign a waiver stating that they will not sue or hold responsible any entity or our city responsible when their house burns down or they become victims of crimes…they get what they pay for nothing…..

3. steve noe
    June 24, 2011 at 2:24 pm

LOLMAO is there going to be a PROTEST?? I wanna get my tye dye shirt out.

4. Cee Dee
    June 24, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Really — there are idiots in our city!

5. mark
    June 24, 2011 at 4:57 pm

I say why not put Ronnie and old team back in and see how much more debt the city can get into. Senna is doing a great job but those good ole boys are not happy with it.

6. aunt yoya
    June 24, 2011 at 5:05 pm

I triple dog dare either of these petition bearing folks to come to my door trying to spread this crap! I am so fed up with the uninformed spreading the rumors,lies and blatant hatred of the good things our city leaders are accomplishing. No one is being held hostage here so if you are THAT against our city moving forward then by all means MOVE! If the city charter is revoked then guess what– we could become Smyrna or Antioch WHO still have taxes and water rates and slower response times to your emergencies due to distance. Senna Mosley has gone to bat for just about every freaking citizen I’ve talked to in some form or another so good luck trying to sully her name with me or any of my neighbors and friends. Guaranteed if you come to my door spouting lies about her you will have concrete burns on your behind! That’s my opinion and it oughta be yours!!

• michaelinLV
      June 26, 2011 at 9:11 pm

There are a lot of people who would love to take you up on your offer to move, but can’t because they are underwater on their home. Personally, I dont’ think you get a better city simply by running off those who disagree with you.

7. Debbie Heughan
    June 24, 2011 at 7:55 pm

If they come to my door, I will play stupid & take up as much of their time as possible.. If I know they are coming I will record what they are saying to get ppl to sign, And then I will askk them a million questions..all the time keeping them outside in the heat….:)

8. tony vanatta
    June 24, 2011 at 7:56 pm

i just wish these people would just tell the flippen truth,i can not stand people lien on my friends/family its makes me mad so plz lets dont get more cops so when i go ham on them and tellen them what kind of person they are we have none big enough to shut me up

9. Anna
    June 24, 2011 at 8:06 pm

2years ago this town was a hot mess….Senna has stepped up and is getting us on track…Taxes were raised..BIG WHOOP…Food went up , you eat. Gas is up, you drive…I 24 and Murf Rd go two ways, pick one…No one is begging you to stay in LaVergne, but if you do…support your Mayor and Alderman…They have your back

10. June 25, 2011 at 8:13 am

I like this site!

Just look at what WE have to put up with…

;D

June 25, 2011 at 10:18 am

Hahaha, you know me, Serr, I love the gossip. 🙂

11. June 25, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I will sign any petition to get rid of any politician who votes against the will of the people. Give em hell Dennis!

• June 26, 2011 at 10:23 pm

See that’s where your argument falls apart “Pinky”. You see which people because I saw people from both camps (pro and con). So which people? If they voted to not expand the police and fire services they would have been against “some” of the people and if they voted for the property tax increase they would have been against “some” of the people. So regardless they would have been in a bad situation eh?

12. June 25, 2011 at 8:49 pm

My sister lives in Lakewood (the town who just gave up their charter) and she voted for the removal and she said she is thrilled she did. Pot holes are being filled, roads are being paved, no water/sewer rate increases, no property tax increases and free trash service. Hell, we don’t even have trash pick up. I will sign a recall petition and a petition to give up the charter and be annexed by Metro Davidson County (if they will have us) any day. Bye bye Mosley, Farmer, Broker and senile Sherry!

June 25, 2011 at 9:58 pm

That’s the stupidest thing I have ever heard. First, La Vergne is in Rutherford County, not Davidson County. Secondly, we would not get picked up by a city government, we would then be run by the county which also has no free trash service and EXTREMELY long call times for ambulance, police and fire. Quit your whining and get behind what our elected officials are trying to do or move out to the county and see how much you like it.

June 26, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Jeez, I miss all kinds of fun when I don’t log on every day . . . and I literally choked on my coffee when I read Earl’s post. Perhaps we should have a let’s-help-Earl-pack-and-move-to-Lakewood party.

• joe blow
        June 27, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Are the people of La Vergne not getting enough oxygen? Jeez! Does everyone think that if the charter is dissolved the county will just leave the tax rate for La Vergne like it is? I doubt it because they will then be responsible for the mess that is here. They will have to repair the infrastructure that is dilapidated. They will not let La Vergne run backwards how would that make them look? They are going to have to provide all of the same services that are already here. They can not have poo running on the ground if a line breaks and leave it. They can not take the sewage and treat it. It will still go to Nashville. The county does not want this mess. If you look county areas do not have 33,000 people in one area….that is what us educated folks call a CITY! Maybe a few people have heard of it, it is quite the concept. It is a place where you live and services are provided for you and they are not free. Maybe if you want to live somewhere really safe you should try…I don’t know ..SOMOLIA! I hear everything is good there. Get out of our town if you don’t like it. No one twisted your arm and made you live here. If you can’t sell your house that is your fault not ours. We did not offer you a house at $500 moves you in. Nor did we ask every thug in a tri-state area to move here. That would be the builders who ruined this town that did that. Michael normally you seem quite intelligent on here but I read where you said Smyrna could take over and our sewer rates would go down. How do you assume that would work. I hear Smyrna is at capacity on taking in sewage. Does the state so Oh thats ok just go ahead and take it because yall were dumb enough to take LaVergne over. No harm no foul….I doubt it works like that. Bottom line is someone is going to be responsible for this area and they are not going to let it fall to the wayside even if it is the county.If the county took over they have a budget that starts July 1. Do you think they are going to allocate all the county money they have budgeted to cover LaVernge? No those officials want to be re-elected. Please people think about what you are going to say and sign before you say it. Everything has to be taken care of from somewhere nothing is free. If it was free there would be NO cities. With that rationale Murfreesboro and Smyrna could dissolve their charters and not pay city taxes either.

• michaelinLV
          June 29, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Joe, I guess I should say thank you for the compliment!

Taking my coment about Smyrna and Sewer – 1st off Smyrna is not at 100% capacity, they can’t be because the are still allowing new users onto their sewage system (such as the new wafle house). Now granted, they probably couldn’t double their capacity immediately but long term they would grow the capacity and I think it is proven that municipalities can process thier own sewage cheaper than they can if it is shipped out to a 3rd party like we do now.

• June 25, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Earl,
      So you approve of going back to the days of unfunded mandates and abuse of city funds by its officials?

13. June 26, 2011 at 8:56 am

You can always contract your Fire and Police out with the closest city but, it would be difficult being the Mayor, former Mayor and Vice Mayor took campaign money from the owner of the Fire Department. I do not rely on the Police for my protection. I rely on myself. Furthermore, I think it would be best if Smyrna took us over. At least the property taxes are cheaper and you get more for your money.

June 26, 2011 at 10:14 am

Just about everyone took money for their campaign from James Gafford. It was one of the things I was surprised about when I saw the campaign finance reports. And relying on yourself for protection? So I suppose if you had a drug dealer living across the street from you, you would just John Wayne yourself over there and shoot them? Let’s see how that works out for you.

• June 26, 2011 at 12:30 pm

No if I had a drug dealer living across from me, I would send him or her some busisness including myself.

• aunt yoya
          June 26, 2011 at 4:54 pm

I will look forward to seeing you on my local news channels as the next LaVergne “celebrity” Moron!

• June 26, 2011 at 5:19 pm

That should be the new motto of LaVergne. “Celebrate moron”

• aunt yoya
              June 26, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Well then you can be the Grand Marshall of the Parade “Mr.Show Me The Drugs”!

• michaelinLV
        June 26, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Do people who live in unincorporated Rutherford county not have police proection? Yes, they do, from the Sheriff’s office. So the John Wayne reference is a bit extreme. If the city charter were disbanded, we would join unincorporated Rutherford county, at least temporarily. I assume we would still have LFD since they are a private company, but would probably require individuals to contract with them.

I personally have favored in the past the idea to merge with Smyrna, and I still think that long term there is no benefit in us being seperate entities. Short term I am willing to give the current board a chance to turn the city around. But someone tell me, what benefit does La Vergne have by being seperate from Smyrna? We are duplicating many services between the two communities, at least if we merged our sewer rates would go down!

June 26, 2011 at 9:12 pm

While merging the sewer with Smyrna, I can see, but why in the hell would we want to merge our city with Smyrna? Jesus Christ, this is what we have been fighting for here on this site for a LONG TIME- a city we can call our own and be proud of. We are NOT Smyrna, we never have been.

• June 26, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Michael,
          Smyrna duplicates the many of the same services as Murfreesboro so should they merge? Also Murfreesboro and Nashville duplicate some of the same so should they disband the counties and merge?

• June 26, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Also I’ll add why not merge states or even countries together if they duplicate services and just have one big world government?

• michaelinLV
              June 27, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I’ll take the opposite approach Jason. Why not split the city into East Lavergne and West Lavergne? We could then have two seperate police departments, fire departments, city councils, etc. Would that make a lot of sense? Murfreesboro could split in half and have two cities that would both be larger than La Vergne or Smyrna. Would you advocate that?

June 27, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Michael, why disrupt what we already have? I mean, seriously, that is so ridiculous. It’s like petulant children who are wanting to their their ball home because they didn’t get their way. God forbid we should all have to pay a bit more to have a better city.

• michaelinLV
                  June 28, 2011 at 9:18 pm

But your statement impies the city will be better because of the higher taxes. For years we were told the schools need more money to improve test scores. Well, the school systems in this state the the highest spending per capita (Nashville and Memphis) have the lowest test scores. And it surprises me to hear you make the comment “why disrupt what we already have.” If that’s the case, why didn’t we re-elect Erwin?

June 28, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I was talking about the city existing, Michael, not change for the city. And in order for us to have more police and more firefighters, it is going to cost money. I think you are being deliberately obtuse here.

June 28, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Can you make these columns narrower? 🙂

June 28, 2011 at 10:49 pm

I could, but MAN, that would be a lot of effort. 😉

14. June 26, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I am not surprised to find three board members and the Mayor voting for this outrageous tax increase. It is simply way to much. As Mr. Waldron said, a gradual increase would suffice. Will you be better off in three years or will this City continue to look desolate? We will see. Im sure Mayor Mosley has good intentions but, she should of been honest about her intentions. Im sick and tired of hearing the same old crap “she said she ran on improving the city” BS! She lied. Flat out. You can say what you want to but the facts are there. I will be very suprised if she is not recalled but again, she will be in three years. In reality noone cares.

June 26, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Well, Dean/Steven/Taco/Kevin, perhaps you should have read her platform. She DID run on improving the city and she said straight out that she would increase taxes if she had to. The q&a that is on THIS SITE proves that. Perhaps reading for comprehension would have been a good idea.

• Cee Dee
        June 27, 2011 at 10:30 am

🙂

• joe blow
        June 27, 2011 at 4:40 pm

hookt on fonix werkt fer me…………

• Angie
          June 28, 2011 at 8:43 am

🙂

• June 26, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Dean,
      What specifically has the Mayor lied aboout? You state “the facts are there” so lets see what specific facts the Mayor has lied about.
      I can say that Dennis Waldron went on local TV news stations and lied to the public saying funds are available instead of a tax increase but when checked with the woman who does the records she refuted it. What Dennis Waldron was suggesting to do was to fund one thing with some money we cannot legally touch. Maybe instead of questioning the Mayor in non specific ways you should ask why Dennis Waldron only spent two and a half weeks reviewing the budget. Thats a fact he stated at the final meeting and its recorded.

• June 27, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I agree with you Jason. I want to know why someone who has been an alderman forhow many years doesn’t know that the money he’s talking about is money that can’t be used. To me it sounds like he was hoping the reporter wouldn’t have checked and took his word for it. When they did it backfired!

15. June 27, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Please, quit hating on Dennis Waldron. He’s just a big teddy bear. The ladies of lavergne love you.

June 27, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Funny how all these pro-Dennis comments keep coming from the same person.

• joeblow
      June 28, 2011 at 10:40 am

A teddy bear..really I was thinking a greasy…..you can figure the rest out.

16. Kitti
    June 28, 2011 at 8:44 am

Can I have a pony, too?? 😀

June 28, 2011 at 9:19 am

Absolutely! When I’m Queen, there will be ponies for all who want one. And goats for those who don’t. 😀

• Sarah N.
        June 28, 2011 at 11:43 am

I’ll have a goat, please.

• June 28, 2011 at 4:45 pm

goat for me.. I need help mowing!