6 Things I Hate About Driving In (And Around) La Vergne

Y’all, I hate this time of year. It appears that there are bad driving conventions in both Nashville and Manchester, disguised as “CMA Music Fest” and “Bonnaroo.” **EDIT: When I was writing this post, originally.** And we’re stuck here in the middle of all of it. I hate driving around during these times for the same reason I hate driving in Florida- you have all the bad driving habits of people from all over the place, so nobody knows how to drive.

There are crappy drivers everywhere, but here are the things I hate about driving around here.

1. To the people who insist on driving down Fergus Road at 25 miles per hour, may a bird of paradise fly up your nose. It takes long enough to drive up Fergus Road at the speed limit of 30 miles per hour. But some people who seem to think that 30 is way too fast. Please, at least go the speed limit.

2. To the people who don’t seem to understand that I can only go as fast as the person in front of me and insist on tailgating me because of the aforementioned people who like to drive slower than the speed limit, may a confused surgeon sew up the wrong hole. I hate being tailgated, that’s why I don’t normally drive slowly. But there’s not a thing I can do about being on a 2 lane road where I can’t pass, and the person in front of me is going painfully slow. Don’t tailgate me, it’s not my fault.

3. To the people on Murfreesboro Road, who like to pull out right in front of me and then drive slowly, may your daughter’s hair grow thick and abundant- all over her face! 45 miles per hour is a great speed. It’s not as fun as, say 70 or 90 (not that I would ever break the law so flagrantly, haha) but 45 is a decent clip to go through town. When you’re pulling out, however, you need to remember that people are going 45 and not pull out right in front of them. If you happen to do that accidentally, then step on the gas so at least you’re not being a total jerk.

4. To pretty much….everyone driving around in the Waldron Road construction mess, may the fleas of a thousand camels nest in your genitalia. We all know what a hot mess that is. And it seems like about 90% of the people driving through there tend to add to the problems. Me, I avoid it like the plague so I’m not adding to the problem.

5. To the people who don’t grasp the concept of driving in snow or rain, may your favorite dog sprout wings and fly away. There appear to be two schools of thought on how you should drive in snow or rain. First- “Holy crap! I’ve got to get home quickly!” These people speed up. Not safe, you jerks. And then the other people who think, “Holy crap! I need to slow waaaaaaaaaaaaaay down.” Then they proceed to drive 10 miles per hour. That’s also not safe. The thing is, I can’t sit here and tell you what is the right speed for conditions. Don’t drive like a maniac or your grandma, that’s all I can say.

6. To the people who don’t understand how the roundabout works, may the hair on your head slide down onto your back. First, it goes counterclockwise. If you don’t know what counterclockwise is, you probably shouldn’t be driving. Second, yield signs mean you should only make a full stop if something is coming. But for God’s sake, stop if there IS something coming.

And a bonus Smyrna gripe:

If you’re turning from Enon Springs Road (heading from, say WalMart) onto South Lowry Street (toward Murfreesboro), please know that S. Lowry is a 4 lane DIVIDED road. That means, turning into the empty left turn lane is really stupid and dangerous. I’ve seen that happen at least 4 times. What are people thinking?

Alright, those are just a few of the things that make me irate about other people’s driving around here, what are your pet peeves?

20 comments for “6 Things I Hate About Driving In (And Around) La Vergne

1. June 23, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Have you ever watched Golden Girls where Sophia and her sister to that “may you” thing back and forth? That’s what I thought about here.

But yeah, mostly the construction stuff. Take another exit, people. And people going 60 in Lake Forest. I’m not saying go 5 miles per hour or anything, but we don’t have sidewalks and some kid is going to get hit one of these days.

June 23, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Hahhaa, I had forgotten about that! That’s a funny episode. 🙂

2. Theresa
    June 23, 2011 at 3:15 pm

1. Exactly!!!!
    2. I like to ride my brakes to tick them off!
    3. Don’t ya just want to hit them! Too bad it would be your fault, but it would still feel good!
    4. I have to drive in this #$%& everyday and I hate it (I work on Heil Quaker.) To the people who think the liquor store parking lot is a cut through to avoid waiting at the light in the evening, I am the one who stubbornly refuses to let you out…deal with it!
    5. Agreed, be safe, but don’t add to the problem!
    6. I don’t have to drive the roundabout so I am not a witness to this particular driving stupidity…but I still agree with Queen Ivy!

June 23, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Do people realize that lever-thing on the left side of your steering wheel is a frickin’ TURN signal, the purpose of which is to let the driver behind you know that you intend to TURN?!

Another personal favorite . . . LaVergne drivers do not understand the concept of merging onto I-24. The idea is NOT to slow to a crawl and/or stop in the merge lane. It’s called an accelerator, people – use it!!

I guess these are problems everywhere, but they seem particularly bad in LaVergne.

• Cricket123
      July 1, 2011 at 9:18 pm

As for merging onto I-24, I still think Smyrna drivers SUCK at that (especially off of Sam Ridley towards LV)!!! Why slow down to 40 or lower before reaching 70 MPH traffic? Not too smart… but thank God that my Trailblazer has AMAZING horsepower!

July 2, 2011 at 10:54 am

They’re probably LaVergne residents returning home after doing all their shopping in Smyrna! 🙂

4. Jen Strange
    June 23, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I went to the La Vergne library yesterday and got really frustrated (as always) at trying to get turned back around to go south on M’boro Road.

I’m also (always) ticked that the roads around and leading to the schools don’t have sidewalks. I like 1/2 a mile from my son’s school but we could never walk there because there’s barely a shoulder on the road!

• Kitti
      June 23, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I agree on both counts! We should have a road crossing to get straight into the library, and I want sidewalks too! Tho, they are building them up towards the end of Old NV Highway, so I’m hoping they keep going. 🙂

5. Thomas
    June 23, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Citizens of Lake Forest, please note that those of us that live on Holland Ridge Drive do not appreciate it when you ride our bumpers and lay on the horn when we slow down (with the turn signal on) to turn into OUR DRIVEWAYS. I’m sure that people don’t do that to you when you are trying to get into your driveway. Holland Ridge is not a highway it is a residential street.

• Liberty
      July 1, 2011 at 2:57 pm

They do it on my street! I live on Quiet Ln 2 streets over from you. It drives me crazy!

6. Kitti
    June 23, 2011 at 5:17 pm

LOL!! Thank you…driving can be so frustrating, does anyone really HAVE to make it worse??

7. June 23, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Wait we have a roundabout?

July 1, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Jason, I’ve never driven on it or even seen it, but I did know it existed. Like most city girls, I do know how to drive on one, too!

8. Cricket123
    June 24, 2011 at 12:57 am

Thomas, people do that to us all the time on Cedar Ridge because they think it’s easier to cut up our street than to drive all the way up Carothers to Waldron Road… we even have tractors carrying hay bales come through there!!!

9. CindyR
    June 24, 2011 at 8:22 am

Yeah – slow down in Lake Forest…….AND…….the speed limit on Stones River Road is NOT 55 – and it is 40 on Nir Shiberman – not 70!!!!! Don’t ride my donkey and flash your lights – I AM GOING THE SPEED LIMIT!!!!!!!!!! I can’t tell you how many times I have been passed on Nir Shiberman while going the speed limit – I usually give them my “you are #1 sign” as they pass me. There is NO PASSING lines on that road – those little double yellow lines are NOT decoration – thank you……ok – getting off of soapbox NOW!

If the City cared to make some ticket revenue – these two locations are MAJOR hot spots! Just sayin’………..

10. Ben
    June 28, 2011 at 11:26 am

To the idiots that never stop at the stop sign coming out of the Woodland Hills subdivision. Even though you are turning right, there is still a stop sign.

June 28, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I’m not defending said idiots (and I live in Woodland Hills myself), but a big part of the problem is that you can’t see what’s coming down Waldron Road from the left because of all the trees. You just about have to pull onto Waldron Road to see if it’s clear.

11. KC
    June 28, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Please stop at the stop sign on Waldron Rd by Stoneridge. I don’t care if there isn’t someone stopped there. A stop sign means stop and I’ve almost been hit numerous times!

And I really hate being on 440 headed east with bumper to bumper traffic and people fly down the Nolensville exit ramp just to jump in front of everyone on 440. I will not let you in! You’re on an exit ramp and you should have stayed in line like the rest of us. And you wonder why 440 is so backed up!

Whew glad to get that off my chest 🙂

June 28, 2011 at 10:41 pm

I definitely agree about the stoplight on Stoneridge. There used to be a cop sitting a bit back on Stoneridge two or three days a week to write tickets, but I haven’t seen one there in a few years. Maybe with our tax increase, the City will have enough manpower to put an officer there again.

12. Liberty
    July 1, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I just hope they do something about the road on dick b. It’s terrible. I know several people who have popped tires because of how bad that road is. I avoid it as much as possible! And that big dip in the road on Holland Ridge heading out of the neighborhood towards Sand Hill needs to be fixed. I slow down to 10mp in my car and I do the speed limit. But that dip is going to cost us tax payers in damage to of vehicles after driving over it long enough! And can someone please have the hedges cut at the corner of Sand Hill and Stones River, on both sides! I have to pull out into the street to see over them!