Link Fest/Open Thread

I’ve been meaning to post a couple of links, and I’m just too tired to come up with anything good after feeding my kitty kitten (there, ya pervs, is that better?) every 2 hours, so here’s the links and y’all can talk amongst yourselves.

**UPDATE** My kitten started having seizures on Thursday night and on Friday afternoon we had to make the decision to have her put to sleep. So that’s why there’s nothing new this weekend, I’m spending a little time grieving. I’ll be back on Monday.

La Vergne driver’s center is closing. That’s crappy news. Having that place was really convenient.

Here’s another place to look for jobs. Generally, I use Indeed.com, Monster.com, craigslist, career builder and snagajob, so it is excellent to have another place to look.

Thanks to Sherry and Bad Laura for bringing those links to my attention. Feel free to discuss whatever comes to mind, y’all.

12 comments for “Link Fest/Open Thread

1. Trish
    June 15, 2011 at 2:22 pm

The driver’s center closing is the dumbest idea ever. Now what? Back to waiting for MONTHS in Murfreesboro for my kids to get their drivers test?! I refuse to believe it is not needed here either. Has anyone ever been in there when it WASN’T packed?

*sigh*

• Elizabeth
      June 15, 2011 at 6:05 pm

This is bad for La Vergne residents….wish they would relocate this office in Smyrna at the new Drivers License office (next to the testing facility). Many people work during the day and can’t get to the new location due to their working hours….come on TDOT and move this to Smyrna…BTW, does anyone think they are moving due to the increase in TAXES?….just saying

• June 15, 2011 at 7:30 pm

I doubt an extra couple hundred bucks would have made a huge difference in their decision.

• June 16, 2011 at 10:18 am

it’s a crock of S$#t of you ask me. The article states that due to the condition of the facility and the amount of rent are the reasons they are closing it down. I say BULL!

2. Trish
    June 15, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Update:
    My youngest needed his ID renewed before Friday so we just got back from the driver’s testing center. The ladies there are heartbroken! They were only notified on Monday about this, and have no idea where they are going after Thursday!! Bad move, TDOT. Bad move.

3. Marlo
    June 15, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Well I also think the LaVergne station is packed because the ones in SE Nash/Antioch/Priest Lake are renewals only….so where will those people go? Either Murfreesboro or Ellington Pkwy? REALLY STATE OF TN???? That stinks….

4. LV2LV
    June 16, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Went there today for daughter to take Drivers test. Was packed, not a seat available. Always 20-24 people waiting according to their reader board. Every station was open and everyone was working diligently to keep the crowd moving. Cant even fathom how they can justify closing this one down. I have been trying to get an appointment for my daughter to take her test and have checked all areas, Rutherford, Davidson, Wilson & Williamson… Nothing was available until today and I made the appointment at the beggining of May!! Closing this one will only make it worse. Thankfully no more new drivers in our house for another 5 years and we can renew ours online!!

5. Debbie Heughan
    June 16, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Has anyone heard anything new about the rain barrels? I am eager to get started….I want to catch the rain while we got it coming.. I have a feeling we will need these barrels for our gardens this summer.

6. June 18, 2011 at 2:46 am

Water/sewer rates doubling property taxes doubling Direct TV and The Tn Drivers License Center closes down. Way to go new board. More closings to come.

June 18, 2011 at 9:08 am

I understand the rest of your post, but what do you mean about Direct TV?

• June 18, 2011 at 7:54 pm

The Direct TV business that was located on Stones River Road/Old Nashville closed in early May and relocated to Smyrna. I called for service and they informed me of the closing. Also, Big Apple is running on fumes and I will predict a closing within the next month or so.

June 18, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Wow, I have Direct TV and never knew they had a local office. I’ve just called the 1-800 number whenever I needed anything. They were probably routing my requests thru the LaVergne office and I didn’t know it.

Also, Big Apple seems to close down about once a year and re-opens a few months later under “new ownership” or “new management.” 🙂