Thank You, La Vergne Veterinary Clinic

It was Friday afternoon, and I was writing a post about bad driving for this site. (Don’t worry, that post is still coming, I’m still just not feeling it right yet) My doorbell rang and I jammed my feet into a pair of shoes and dashed out of my bedroom, dogs were barking everywhere. I opened the door and it was some kid wanting to know if I wanted my lawn mowed. “Have you looked at my lawn, kid?” I thought, meanly. My lawn is an inch and a half tall, we just had mowed it a couple of days before. I told the kid no, closed my door and walked back to my bedroom. As I walked in, I saw blood on the floor. I bent down and touched it, and as I did I saw my 8 week old kitten, Mao Mao laying there.

I thought she was dead, but when I touched her, she moved. “OMG OMG OMG,” I thought. I figured I must have stepped on her on my way out of the room- she was always underfoot and just about everyone in my house had stepped on her at some point. But not like this. I was afraid I had broken her neck.

I wrapped her in a towel, gathered my kids and rushed her to the closest vet to my house- La Vergne Veterinary Clinic. When I got there, I told them I had an emergency and they very quickly got Mao Mao and took her to the back. Dr. Tim, one of the vets at La Vergne Veterinary clinic, came out fairly quickly to tell me that she had suffered a major head trauma. They said they couldn’t feel an actual fracture, but since they would treat her the same way whether her skull was fractured or not, they’d hold off on doing an x-ray to save me some money.

I could walk you through everything that happened, but to save time, I’d just like to tell you about how great Dr. Tim Prater and the staff were. I have had animals my entire life, and I’ve been to quite a few vets. What really sets La Vergne Veterinary Clinic apart is that it is clear that they really, truly love animals- and they try to keep the price very affordable and let you know what you’re in for ahead of time.

They were great about keeping me up to date on what was happening with her, and Dr. Tim was great about fully explaining everything to me and answering all my questions. I never once felt like I was being hurried. I truly felt that he, and all the staff, really cared about my kitten.

Thanks to their excellent care, Mao Mao lived. She is coming home today. Her progress has been very slow, but she may still make a full recovery. I cannot thank everyone at La Vergne Veterinary Clinic enough for everything they have done for Mao Mao and me.

And if you need vet care, I can highly recommend the people at the La Vergne Veterinary Clinic. They’re on Murfreesboro Road up by the fireworks place, and the phone number is 793-5333.

And as a side note, I still don’t know for sure what happened to her. I never felt it, if I did step on her. My dad thinks that my dog may have attacked her while I was answering the door, but my dog has never shown any aggression toward any other animals. I don’t guess I’ll ever know for sure what happened, but I know I’ll never leave Mao Mao alone with my dog ever again.

13 comments for “Thank You, La Vergne Veterinary Clinic

1. Trish
    June 14, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Dr. Tim is also our vet, and lives right across the street from us! He’s a spectacular vet and a great neighbor too!! Your sweet kitty could not be in better hands. Best wishes!

June 14, 2011 at 11:15 pm

That’s awesome. Tell him Mao Mao and I thank him from the bottom of our hearts.

2. June 14, 2011 at 4:21 pm

La Vergne Veterinary is the only place I’d take my pets to! They were wonderful when I had Oliver. I wish I knew who took him! Anyhow, I digress.

I love how the Clinic is up front with cost and keeps you informed. They are awesome!

June 14, 2011 at 11:15 pm

I wish we knew who took him too. They really are awesome, I’m glad they’re here!!

June 14, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I love Dr. Prater, too. We’ve used the clinic since 1989 and had more than one emergency, unfortunately. They’ve always gotten us in immediately and even the people in the waiting room have been understanding and very nice when their own appointments have been pushed back. I try to keep that in mind when I’m kept waiting, which does happen. 🙂

One thing in your post sounds odd, though. Are you absolutely sure you stepped on her? Unless you were wearing steel-soled boots or something, I can’t believe you wouldn’t have felt it or heard her yelp or something. My lab puppy and full-grown cat wrestle around all the time and occasionally the cat ends up with his head in the dog’s mouth. Both are harmless and never been aggressive – they’re both just very playful.

June 14, 2011 at 11:13 pm

The more I talk to people about it, the more I think it probably was my dog, especially after what Coble said. It completely surprises me that he would do that, but he is an animal, and you never know.

June 15, 2011 at 9:13 am

Not that it changes anything, but perhaps knowing it was your dog and not you will assuage your guilt a little. 🙂 What kind of dog is it and how much does he weigh? Heck, it’s entirely possible that your dog stepped on her rather than attacking.

June 15, 2011 at 2:12 pm

He’s a rat terrier/chihuahua mix, so I’m pretty sure stepping on her wouldn’t have caused this, lol.

4. June 14, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Oh. Reading this now Id almost guarantee it was the dog and not you.

If youd stepped on her you wouldnt even have answered the door…youd have felt and heard it. And dogs’ response to to being startled is often to lash out. It’s a natural pack response and doesnt mean the dog is aggressive or bad. My bet is that pup was startled by the bell (doorbell rings hurt dogs’ ears) and lashed out at mao mao, not realising her tinyness.

I know I’m bossy, but were I you Id hang a “please do not ring bell” sign until mao mao is 6mos or a year old. Ive done that when all my dogs are new to the house too. Saves other pets and people from stress nips.

June 14, 2011 at 11:10 pm

That is an EXCELLENT idea. I told my dad I was going to hang a “No, we do NOT need our lawn mowed” sign on my door, but this is an even better idea. 🙂

5. Debbie Heughan
    June 14, 2011 at 10:25 pm

I am keeping your kitten in my prayers…I think she will recover at home with you much faster..She will feel more secure & will be able to rest & regenerate her little brain..

June 14, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Thanks, Debbie! I think she will, too. My dad and I both saw some improvements just while she was at my mom and dad’s house tonight.

6. CindyR
    June 15, 2011 at 9:17 am

I couldn’t agree more – LOVE LaVergne Veterinary….what amazes me the most – they actually call the animals by name….we just “popped in” one day to see if our beagle could be seen – and being a beagle – she always “announces” herself (ARRRROOOOOOO) – and not even having seen her face to face – one of the gals coming down the hall said “Is that Ally?”…she has boarded there several times and always comes home hoarse….she has a barking duel with another beagle (Barney) that is often boarded when she is.

Yes – can’t say enough great things about LaVergne Veterinary!