Making La Vergne Home

Yesterday, I asked some questions and got some very good answers. I urge you to go read the comments there and start thinking about what you can do to help. I would be glad to help anyone who wants to work on starting one of these programs, to do so. I would also be glad to advertise here. I especially love the idea of helping those who can’t mow their own lawns (for valid reasons) get their lawns taken care of. I think this is a program we could do as citizens working together.

I was talking to Chris Farmer recently and he said that he wants La Vergne to be home for people. Not the armpit of Rutherford County, not Lower Antioch, not all the bad things people say about it, but home. I have said before that I believe we can make La Vergne be the jewel of Rutherford county. This will take a lot of us working together, not just our city leaders, but the citizens and business owners as well. That was the question that kept coming to my mind on Tuesday night when people were protesting the taxes. What do you want for our city?

So many people were talking about how they’d move. How La Vergne would be a ghost town. I say, fine, move. Good luck finding someplace cheaper even with the tax increases. Also, if you’re not willing to stay and fight for this city to become the best place it possibly can be, go on and get out. We want people who are willing to really put out the effort to help this city move forward and become a place we can be proud of- and call home.

On my link to yesterday’s post on the TiLV FB page, I asked the same questions that were at the bottom of the post. A response I got was this: “I’ll give them my taxes and water and sewer payments. other than that, I got nothing to give!” and then Alderman Tom Broeker came in and commented this: “Ms. Charlotte, possibly just your patience and eventually your partnership as we fight to turn our city around. Please hold us accountable for every cent of it. I assure you we will not let you down!”

Here is what I promise you, our readers. Remember Ronald Reagan and his whole, “Trust but verify” thing? I believe in our city leaders. But I will verify that they are living up to their promises. I saw so many people that believe that they are going to tax us and then just squander our money. I understand this because how many politicians on all levels have done this to us in the past? Look at how many people ran for the Tennessee Legislature on a “small government” and “don’t worry, we’ll get you jobs” platform. Have you seen a whole lot of legislation to come out of the TN Legislature that’s “small government” or “jobs-related”? All I have seen is a whole bunch of nonsense, and things designed to make the TN government bigger and bigger and more restrictive.

There might not be much I can do about the Tennessee Legislature, but I can promise you I will be your watchdog here locally. I will go to meetings and I will report about what I saw. (I’m only gonna liveblog if anything interesting is set to happen)

“But Ivy,” some of you might say, “You’ve already admitted that most of these people are your friends. How can we trust you not to leave things out or spin things in their favor?” You can ask any person who has been my friend for quite some time: I am the first to tell a friend when I think they are screwing up. And, feel free to come to the meetings with me. Comment on what you thought about what was said. Call the elected officials and talk to them. E-mail me and talk to me. (ivy at thisislavergne dot com)

Together, we can make La Vergne be our happy home, the shining city on the hill, the jewel of Rutherford County.

9 comments for “Making La Vergne Home

1. June 9, 2011 at 11:17 am

Well, you and most people here know that I will defend La Vergne tooth and nail. I have 3 children and have raised them (very well, if I shall toot my own horn) here and, until my husband inevitably gets another job, plan on staying here through the long run.

It doesn’t make sense to me that people bad-mouth their hometown. It makes that person look like they chose to LIVE in that bad town. Aren’t you just bad-mouthing yourself?

Oh and I was a baby when Reagan was in office. Feel old? lol

June 9, 2011 at 11:18 am

Not too old, lol, because I was 5 when he was in office. 🙂

• Sarah N.
        June 9, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Thanks to both of you for making me feel really old 😛

2. LV2LV
    June 9, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Well said Ivy. I also feel the same way. Many of the officials are my friends but I am not afraid to say I dont agree if I dont. I will continue to support them and speak up when I dont.

The Citizens of LaVergne need to educate themselves on what goes on in the day to day business of running this little city. They want more police & fire & parks & businesses & the moon and the sun but dont want to pay for it!!

We are a single income family of 6 (for over 10 years) and I dont like adding more money to my already slim budget but for those services and the other things that are listed in the new budget I can cut out a pizza night a month and know that if we have a fire while there is a fire somewhere else a crew will be here and not have to chose which one to go to.

The News is reporting that our taxes will be $1 per $100 assessed value…that is wrong. It will be per $1000 assessed value which in most cases only adds up to about $10-20 per month difference. People this is a night at McDonalds for heavens sake!!

The water/sewer increase was not an option either. The city cannot continue to pay for our water & poo!! Learn to conserve your usage!! While I wont be in the “If its Yellow, let it Mellow” club I do know how to be smart, dont wash your car at home esp in the middle of the day. Dont water your yards everyday or in the middle of the day (most of it evaporates anyways), Get a full day’s wear out of your clothes before washing, monitor your’s and your children’s shower times. I come from a large city where water is strictly rationed and if you are caught using it (outside the home) not on your scheduled day you will be fined, yards are limited on how much grass and what kind of trees you can have so be thankful we have that freedom to use what we want and be willing to pay for what you do use.

I dont write this to offend anyone but frankly I have been offended by the ignorance some people have written on here in the past couple of weeks without doing their homework. Gossip and lies being spread like wildfires!! I dont want anyone to be burdened by these increases and will do my best to help out when possible.

One last thing…I hope that those who threaten that they will move either have a change of heart and get on board with trying to improve the city or get packin!! I dont want my value to go down any further on my home but would rather deal with that (since I’m not moving anyways)than to listen to the complainers!!

There you have it my 2 cents…. who’s with me?

• michaelinLV
      June 9, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Actually, the news is not wrong. The tax rate is per hundred of assesed value. But there is a 25% assesment ration, so it’s basically per hundred, but only on 25% of your home’s value. Confused yet? Go here – http://www.comptroller1.state.tn.us/pa/pahtfytb.asp

June 9, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I also hate to be debbie downer, but part of the arguments used were “well La Vergne already has one of the lowest tax rates in the state.” That’s not even close to being true. Currently there are 205 entities with lower tax rates than La Vergne (out of 404) and with the increase there will be 286 lower than La Vergne. Entities with lower rates than La Vergne include Mt. Juliet, Nolensville, Franklin, Goodlettsville, Hendersonville, Brentwood, Smyrna, and maybe more. And of course residents living in the county and not in the city generally all have lower rates.

I’m not saying this as an argument for or against the tax increase, I’m just saying the rates here were not, nor will they be, the “lowest.” And yes, I understand places like Brentwood and Franklin can have lower rates but still have higher taxes. The average house in La Vergne is about $110k, the average house in Brentwood is probably $300k so yes they pay more in total taxes.

Just be glad we’re not Memphis – $7.22/hundred, yikes!

4. Debbie Heughan
    June 9, 2011 at 11:20 pm

I am all for improving our little city of La Vergne, now that we have a few honest caring folks sitting on the Mayor/Alderman board..

5. Thomas
    June 10, 2011 at 10:34 am

I know this is not the right place to post this but… Is there a real estate agent out there that could keep posting the sales/days on market statistics that Kathy used to provide? I liked keeping up with it even if the numbers were not so good.

June 10, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I am not a Realtor, but I will see what I can do about getting those numbers.