Tonight’s Workshop: Overview

My overall impression of this workshop is this: Stay classy, La Vergne. It’s pretty clear to me that some etiquette lessons are in order. Like, how you are supposed to behave at a public meeting. Now, while I am no Miss Manners, I can tell you that hooting and hollering and booing people who stood up in a roomful of people to speak, is disrespectful and downright rude. This is always a problem, though. Go to a band concert in La Vergne. People just don’t know how to act. I suppose this weekend I will put up a post of etiquette so y’all can learn something. Sadly, those who need to hear it, probably won’t (or can’t, heh) read it. Anyway, y’all put the word out to the masses for me, okay?

Now for the overwhelming question of the night: Where was Dennis Waldron? He knew there were going to be lots of people there. And interestingly, I saw LOTS of folks there that I’ve seen around town WITH Dennis Waldron. So why didn’t he show up tonight? He had an awful lot of friends there. Doesn’t he care about his friends? Doesn’t he care what the citizens of La Vergne have to say?

Another thing I wanted to pull out of the meeting that lots of people missed, since they left in droves after the citizen’s comments, was about the tornado sirens. This isn’t just your typical tornado sirens where they’re mechanical so they have to test them every so often and they’re all annoying. This is an entire early warning system that can also send text and email alerts to your phone or computer. It tests itself and nobody needs to hear it. It also sets up a system online where you can look it up and see exactly what is going on. They can sound one siren or all of them. All in all- I didn’t really care one way or the other about the tornado sirens, but I now that I know more about it, it sounded like a really good thing.

Well. I’m exhausted, so that’s all the wrap-up y’all are getting tonight, I apologize.

15 comments for “Tonight’s Workshop: Overview

1. Trish
    June 2, 2011 at 9:16 pm

I’m sorry that, in general, people are still idiots. (It IS 2011, isn’t it?? Hello Progress!) Thank you for the info, though.
    (Love the Anchor Man reference!)

2. June 2, 2011 at 9:41 pm

I have been able to look at what sirens they want to get and it is an awesome package and will serve us well… BUT WE need to know what to do when they go off AND remember that sirens are to warn you if you are OUTSIDE! If you are in your home you may or may not hear them and again you need to know what they mean and what to do. Way to go mayor and board for the move in this direction!

3. Debbie Heughan
    June 2, 2011 at 9:42 pm

When you get up to speak at a meeting, you are sometimes a little nervous.. But then to have people boo you that don’t know all the facts & are not willing to try & listen & learn about other individuals opinions & facts shows a low level of class. A lot of people were mixed up about the amount their taxes may be increased to. It seems that someone that is totally against our Mayor has greatly exaggerated what it is going to cost the citizens.. One lady was almost in tears, but she had been given the wrong information.. I am glad our police officers were present because some of the people showed very little respect for others. Maybe La Vergne needs to raise the taxes enough to provide class, manners & etiquette lessons, but they say no amount of money can buy class..

• Sarah N.
      June 2, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Debbie, you kicked butt! And all without notes, very impressive.

• Debbie Heughan
        June 3, 2011 at 12:06 am

Thank you Sarah, you did a great job too 🙂

4. Carrie
    June 2, 2011 at 9:55 pm

That’s great news about the sirens AND the text message alerts!

5. Amy
    June 2, 2011 at 10:40 pm

I personally would love a tornada system that would send a text to my phone. How many of us work in Nashville yet have family that is in La Vergene during the day? We also have great youth programs in this town and it would be devastating if a tornado came through during a busy day at one of our ball fields. To the people that don’t want to spend tax dollars please go spend a weekend in Alabama help cleaning up and ask the residents if they would have spent their tax dollars on a tornado system. If it saves one life it is well worth it!

• Angie
      June 3, 2011 at 11:02 am

I completely agree! There have been several times this season when it has been scary at the ball park because of weather. I for one would LOVE to see (or hear) the sirens in Lavergne.

One can’t always be by a tv or a radio to see what’s going on with the weather.

6. Amy
    June 2, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Please excuse the typos

7. June 3, 2011 at 7:35 am

For those that are interested in text message alerting, the private sector already has this available. I use http://www.weatherusa.net/ to get messages to my cell and it’s free. I have used these guys for about 4 years now and never had any spam or things like that and the warnings for the county pretty quick.

The advantage of our new system will be that you know La Vergne specificly is in the warning. With the other service you only get county level and then have to check weather.gov to see if La Vergne is affected.

8. Cee Dee
    June 3, 2011 at 9:53 am

I guess this shows how concerned Dennis Waldron is about the citizens of La Vergne — doesn’t even show up for an official scheduled workshop! But I understand he didn’t miss breakfast at Tee Gee’s this morning! Looks like he would have been there to hear everyone’s concerns & opinions, especially those who are supporting his “no tax increase” cause . . . You think he might show up for the meeting just so he can vote “NO” for everything voted on that night??? Thank goodness for those on the board who are dedicated to the welfare of La Vergne & its citizens!

9. Adam Ringenberg
    June 3, 2011 at 11:21 am

Were you being intentionally ironic when you asked people to be respectful and then called your opponents illiterate in the same paragraph?

June 3, 2011 at 11:34 am

Yep!

10. Debbie Heughan
    June 3, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Did anyone notice that the ones that were against the tax increase & were doing all the booing were not concerned enough to stay & listen to the workshop that followed. They would have had the opportunity to hear & learn about where the money is going.. Maybe some people just want to complain & don’t really want solid answers..I hope the people that are sincerely concerned about the city, the taxes, & are willing to listen for answers are the ones that show up for the next meeting…Open minds & ears are necessary for learning….

11. steve noe
    June 3, 2011 at 5:14 pm

One thing goes without saying, agree or disagree Senna aint skeered. Hate her or love her she aint skeered, BUT you have NO CHOICE but to RESPECT her, you know why? SHE AINT SKEERED………..I doon’t want higher anything except pay but If they think it is what we need to make our fair city a better place to live then I guess I am in………Pretty good for a chick EH!? SHE AINT SKEERED……………………you know where she is coming from and not afraid to face her fears and dreams, how many of us can say that? I have seen Mayor’s and board members come and go in the last 16 yrs. and I know that they were afraid to make a decision but she is not. CAUSE YOU KNOW WHY? that’s right you guessed it. SHE JUST PLAIN OLE AIN’T SKEERED……..