If You Can’t Say Something Nice…

June 1, 2011
By

You know that phrase moms all over the world have been saying since, probably, the dawn of time: If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all. Well, not my mom*, she says, “If you can’t say anything nice, come sit by me!” and “I’m not one to repeat gossip, so listen closely the first time.”

Well, today we’re going to try the first piece of advice. Let’s say some NICE stuff about La Vergne. I’ll go first:

1. The reason my family moved here in the first place is that it’s close to just about everything- 20 minutes to Murfreesboro, 20 minutes to downtown Nashville.

2. It really is quite pretty down by the lake.

3. This is (even AFTER the tax hike and water rate hike) probably the cheapest place to live in the Nashville metropolitan area. Try finding cheaper housing that’s in a reasonably safe area, that you don’t have to drive a billion miles to get to anything.

4. Our current Mayor is EXTREMELY accessible. Try sending a list of questions like I did to officials in any other city. Good luck getting answers out of them. (I can say the same for Vice Mayor Farmer and Alderman Tom Broeker)

5. A lot of really cool folks live here, like me.

Alright, La Vergne, let’s see what you have to say that is GOOD about this city! Note: though normally I allow comments of all sorts, on this post, I will delete anything negative. You have 50 kajillion other posts here that you can be negative on.

One more thing:

The Board of Mayor & Aldermen WORKSHOP is tomorrow at 5 PM. They are not voting tomorrow. They are, however, taking citizens comments- sign up right before the meeting- 4:45- and get yourself 3 minutes to voice your opinion, good or bad.

*Just kidding. My mom is an extremely nice woman who would never, ever gossip or talk badly about anything. Guess who just got a link to this site, yeah, my mom.

31 Responses to If You Can’t Say Something Nice…

1. steve noe
    June 1, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Well let’s see I uh! UH! uM! um! I well I know um! HMMM OK then there is um! UM! OH I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!! Lavergne has cheaper property taxes than any other city it’s size. PHEW!!!!!!!!!! OH! YEA there high school colors are the same as the GREAT ALL MIGHTY UK WILDCATS. BLUE AND WHITE:-)

• Kathy T.
      June 1, 2011 at 9:55 pm

GO CATS! I bleed blue here, too!

• Cee Dee
      June 2, 2011 at 10:08 am

Actually La Vergne High School’s colors are blue & silver, I believe!!!

2. Chris Farmer
    June 1, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Ivy’s new hairdo looks spectacular!!!

June 1, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Thanks, Chris!!

• Cricket123
      June 1, 2011 at 9:11 pm

I totally agree!!!

3. Amy
    June 1, 2011 at 7:54 pm

We have really nice youth league’s!!!

4. Theresa
    June 1, 2011 at 8:11 pm

We moved here from Madison because we had heard nice things about living LaVergne. We have been very happy with the small town feel without being too far from things. The people are friendly, especially two rockin’ chics named Ivy and Kathy (sorry gang, they paid me to say that!)

June 1, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Your check is in the mail, Theresa!

• Theresa
        June 1, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Woohoo!!!

5. Sarah N.
    June 1, 2011 at 9:03 pm

The Old Timers’ Festival is gonna be awesome this year!

6. Cricket123
    June 1, 2011 at 9:15 pm

I have the BEST neighbors that I could ever ask for!!! And my neighborhood is relatively quiet and safe!

• Liberty
      June 1, 2011 at 9:21 pm

I’ll second that one!! I do have some great neighbors!!

7. Debbie Heughan
    June 1, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Most of my neighbors are fabulous too :)

8. aunt yoya
    June 1, 2011 at 9:41 pm

I love the small town (everybody knows your name) feeling from La Vergne and how Everyone (including The Mayor and The Ronnie) shows up at your door and pitches in when you have an emergency! I love how all the stores I visit know my name and what I have come there for! I love This Is La Vergne for keeping us all informed of all the really cool things our city has to offer!!!

9. Kathy T.
    June 1, 2011 at 9:54 pm

I love that on some days, I’ll see horses walking down my street. I love that once a pig got lost in my neighbor’s back yard and I was able to say on the phone, “No. It’s not my pig.” I love that in the eight years we’ve lived here, the friends I have made are people I know I could call on for anything … something I could not have said from living in Lexington, Ky. for 20 years.

10. Cricket123
    June 1, 2011 at 10:10 pm

I love the fact that when a neighbor’s cat went “missing” at least half of our street went looking for the cat… and it was found safe and sound, but the cat got scolded for scaring it’s owners, but only after getting smothered in kisses of relief. And I love being able to be an “extra mom” to my neighbors’ children that I have known since they were born and knowing they are “extended parents” to my kids too.

11. Kitti
    June 2, 2011 at 9:16 am

Nice neighbors. Good library. Close – but not TOO close – to Nashville. Quick access to I-24 and 840. Mankin Park. Horse farms and rolling hills and lots covered in beautiful trees. Flocks of buzzards hanging out on cell towers. (They crack me up!) Lowe’s. Noodle House. That everyone wonders about the fate of the old Big Apple restaurant.

Is the upper part of Old Nashville Highway still slated to go commercial? If so, am I the only person looking forward to it? I imagine it becoming our own Berry Hill…dog groomers and curio shops and independent law offices and craft stores and all that good stuff!

June 2, 2011 at 9:29 am

Oooh, that really would be cool, Kitti.

• Sarah N.
      June 2, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I’ve long thought that the big yellow house would make an excellent restaurant!

12. Angie
    June 2, 2011 at 10:59 am

There are many many things I LOVE about Lavergne, but I’ll keep it to my top 5:

#5…the cleanliness. From the sides of the road to the parking lots of businesses you don’t see much trash. I guess that maybe is because citizens in Lavergne take pride in their city??

#4…schools. I love that everyone that works at Roy Waldron knows all the kids by name. Awesome principal, vice principal and awesome teachers! I’ve heard great things about the middle school also…won’t experience that till fall.

#3…library. My daughter LOVES the summer reading program, great, friendly staff always willing to help

#2…Old Timers Festival!!! So excited about it being three days instead of just one

#1…LBSA/parks & rec! I have traveled to other ballparks in the area w/my husband (he’s a coach) and I am always glad to come home to our facility in Lavergne. It is hands down the best maintained and organized league around! If we were to ever move it would be worth the drive to keep my kids in the league.

13. steve noe
    June 2, 2011 at 11:27 am

Had lunch today at Tee Gee’s, great meat and 3, burgers and NANNER NANNER NANNER puddin

June 2, 2011 at 11:30 am

Oooh, I’m jealous, I’ve been wanting nanner puddin’. :)

14. June 2, 2011 at 2:42 pm

The library, by far. And OTD. And Parks and Rec. And the liquor store (that sounds kinda bad. lol But the guys that work there are so nice)

15. Chip
    June 2, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I love all the cool people I’ve met in La Vergne. (wink @Ivy,Kathy T, and Michelle M! The natural beauty on the drive to my neighborhood, Thai House Noodle shop, and the Gyro shop. Best part so far is the ability to email, or call and talk directly to our awesome Mayor and Aldermen!

16. Carrie
    June 2, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I agree with many of the things that some of you have already said. LOVE my neighbors. They aren’t nosy, but will help out in a pinch and watch out for each other. I like going to the grocery store and recognizing almost all of the employees. Yes, the drive to our neighborhood is pleasant, especially during the warm months and I can smell the honeysuckle in the car, even with the windows up. And as crazy as it sounds, I’m rather attached to the roundabout traffic circle thing on Stones River Road too. (C’mon, you know it’s fun to drive in it!) Going to the lake with the family. The Noodle House. Being close to both Nashville and Murfreesboro.

June 2, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I love the roundabout. LOVE IT!!

• Angie
      June 3, 2011 at 11:29 am

Love the roundabout! Wondering if its ever going to connect on the one side though?

• Liberty
        June 4, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Porbably not, but my kids love to make me go around an extra time when we go to see Grammy. If you see a loud white volvo station wagon that’s me :)

17. Carrie
    June 2, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Oh, and I emailed the Mayor the other day, and she made sure to let me know that I’m always welcome to stop by her office if I ever wanted to discuss anything about our city. Very nice.