Who Wants to Make Rain Barrels?

For the past couple of weeks I have been searching the area for the most affordable source of plastic food grade barrels to use in our rain barrel workshop. What I’d like to do is identify the lowest cost provider, and then go pick up as many as we can for the folks here in LaVergne who want them. These will be 55 gallon plastic barrels, and so far it looks like the cheapest ones that I know are food grade are $12 a piece. What I’d like to accomplish with this post is to find out how many barrels in total we need to get, so if you know you are interested, please leave us a comment indicating how many you would like.

Here are some video clips of people making rain barrels, just to give you an idea of what you’re getting into:

15 comments for “Who Wants to Make Rain Barrels?

1. Theresa
    May 31, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Sarah, I would be interested. Please let me know when you need the money.

• Sarah N.
      May 31, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Will do, Theresa. Just one for you?

• Theresa
        June 1, 2011 at 8:36 am

Yes ma’am…just one. I want to make sure I can/will make it work for me before I put too much money in it. It is very sweet that you are helping us out with this! Thank you!

2. Liberty
    May 31, 2011 at 12:09 pm

sounds like a good idea

3. Melanie Jones
    May 31, 2011 at 1:27 pm

I would love to, but would like to bring in our old plastic garbage can to convert to a rain barrell if possible!

• Sarah N.
      May 31, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Melanie, you can use whatever you like! Just keep your eye on the blog for more info about date, time, and location. We’ll also post a list of other supplies you’ll need.

4. Debbie Heughan
    May 31, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Count me in for 2 barrels please. You can email me when you want to meet to get the money or I will be at the meeting around 5PM on June 2nd.
    Thanks
    Debbie Heughan

May 31, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Depending on where you live, you might want to verify you’re allowed to have things like this. I haven’t checked, but would bet we can’t have them in our subdivision.

• Sarah N.
      June 1, 2011 at 11:05 am

Lol, I’m pretty sure there aren’t any rules about anything in my subdivision! I’m planning on building some sort of screen around mine just the same.

June 2, 2011 at 12:02 am

Ours is fairly strict (on paper, at least) but unless somebody complains, the regulations aren’t really enforced. If somebody does complain, though, you’re totally out of luck.

6. andra
    June 1, 2011 at 4:31 pm

I would like 2. I’m hoping this will be an weekend or evening thing, i will keep looking for updates

• Sarah N.
      June 2, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I’m personally thinking weekend, because I have a three year old and all my evenings are devoted to feeding, bathing, and snuggling.

7. Ken Cowan
    June 3, 2011 at 8:17 am

I would like to try and build a couple of Rain barrels. You can put me down for 2.
    Just let me know What I need to do.
    Ken Cowan
    Lake Forest

8. Chip
    June 5, 2011 at 7:53 am

Put me down for one please Sarah.

9. Cee Dee
    June 8, 2011 at 10:29 am

Something of interest going on today regarding RAIN BARRELS:

TODAY! FIRST EVER
    RAIN BARREL TENT SALE!

The good folks at Starbucks at the Belle Meade Plaza Shopping Center location are helping us make a large number of rain barrels tomorrow (Wednesday, June 8th) AND we are going to sell them from 4 pm to 6 pm. They are $40 each. Come on out and buy one or more for you house! Or give them as a gift!

It is the Shopping Center at the corner of Harding Pike and White Bridge Road. The address is 4544 Harding Pike, Nashville, TN 37205. We will be in the parking lot in front of the Center. If you have any questions, contact Mekayle by clicking HERE.

________________________________________

9th Annual Catfish Rodeo
    Saturday, June 11, 2011
    Lake Sevier, Shelby Bottoms Park

Presented by the Cumberland River Compact,
    Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency,
    Shelby Bottoms Nature Center, and Metro Parks.