It’s Not Always As Bad As It Seems

Today, I went over to Carwise Automotive in Smyrna to drop off the $20 that Debbie Heughan won in our contest and so generously donated to help the family that Teresa Redman left behind when she passed away on May 16th while giving birth to her son*.

It got me to thinking about how important it is to look at things in perspective. I used to work with this guy who had had a very hard life. Every morning I’d ask him how it was going and every morning he would tell me, “It’s a great day! Every day I wake up, is a great day.”

This is a guy who certainly would have a lot to complain about, yet he rarely did, because he was grateful to be alive and free. That kind of outlook is inspiring. I love to complain. LOVE IT. At any given time, I’d be glad to gripe to you about the weather, the price of gas, the crappy air conditioning in my car, my evil dogs, cicadas, mosquitoes, crappy television programming, people who make me mad….I think you get the idea.

But the fact is, I’m an incredibly lucky person. And you know what? So are you. You’re still alive and around to fight the good fight, even if you don’t feel like fighting it. Even if you’ve been fighting it all your life. You don’t have a dime to your name. You’re sick. You’re tired. You’re sick and tired of being sick and tired. Believe me, I know. My life has not been easy, and I still struggle every day with dealing with life on life’s terms.

But how about you take a moment every now and again to savor what you do have. Every single one of us has blessings in our lives. Great friends, amazing family, awesome pets, the fact that you live in a town that has a website that is this freaking cool (haha, just seeing if you’re paying attention), believe me, you have something that is worth being grateful for. There are always people who have it better than you do. And there are always people who have it worse than you do.

So today, why don’t you join me in rejoicing in the blessings your life has brought you? What are YOU grateful for, fellow citizens?

*They are still accepting donations to help with funeral expenses for this family. You can give your donations to David Pope at Carwise Automotive which is at 100 Country Village Drive in Smyrna. Here’s the phone number: 615-459-8216

17 comments for “It’s Not Always As Bad As It Seems

1. Sarah N.
    May 25, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Now I’m all choked up!

May 25, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Awww shucks, lol.

2. sonia
    May 25, 2011 at 3:45 pm

wow. Awesome post!

May 25, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Thanks, Sonia!

3. May 25, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Nice talking with you today Ivy. It was heart warming to see all the people that turned out for our fundraiser. This kind of thing although tragic always seems to bring out the best in people. God bless you all!

May 25, 2011 at 3:59 pm

I was glad to meet you! That is the one silver lining when tragedy strikes, it gives folks the opportunity to do a really good thing. 🙂

4. Kitti
    May 25, 2011 at 4:43 pm

If you have a car, a house, and hot water coming out of a tap any time you want it, you’re SO LUCKY!! I have never been homeless and had to do without, unless I was on a camping trip. But I’ve read and heard stories that were enough to make me really grateful!

Home + enough food + transportation = pretty doggone wealthy

May 25, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Kitti, yes, exactly. I have been reading a lot of travel blogs lately and some of the conditions people live in, mainly in other countries but here in the US as well, it’s just appalling. We complain about the water quality around here (and yeah, I don’t think our water tastes as good as the water in, say, Murfreesboro or the best tap water I’ve ever tasted- Huntingburg Indiana) but the fact is, the dirtiest tap water in the United States is still head and shoulders cleaner than the water in just about any developing country. We are LUCKY to live here, lucky to have what we have. Now all we have to do is strive to make things even better.

• Elizabeth
        May 25, 2011 at 5:56 pm

speaking of good tasting water, when I visit my aunt and uncle in Evansville, Indiana, I can’t get enough of their tap water…it is so good….only wish La Vergne’s water was half that good….just saying

May 25, 2011 at 6:04 pm

All of Southern Indiana has really good water. It has something to do with it seeping through the limestone, natural filter or something like that. I agree, if the water here was half as good as it is there, I’d never drink soda again.

5. Tina Copeland (Aunt of Teresa Redmon)
    May 25, 2011 at 6:11 pm

All I know to say is…….God bless you all! The Redmon family is so grateful to each and everyone who donated and took the time to be a part of the fundraiser for Teresa! God is so good….people from all over are still helping to raise money to finish paying for the funeral expenses. You usually don’t have a life insurance policy on a 20yr. old, but people are coming together to make it happen! I can not “THANK YOU ALL” enough and I know my brother Wayne Redmon feels the same! It is good to know that there are people out there who care and want to help others. God Bless! Tina Copeland (Aunt of Teresa Redmon)

May 25, 2011 at 8:46 pm

You are certainly welcome, Tina, and I am so sorry for your loss.

• May 25, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Your family is blessed that you part of it. I am blessed to have you as a friend.

Your Buddy
      David

6. Debbie Heughan
    May 25, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Ivy, You wrote a beautiful insightful story that opens hearts & eyes even in these hard times. I am glad you have this community page.
    I am so grateful to be in a community that still opens their hearts to help each other when needed. Helping each other through hard times in our town, makes it a special place to live. Our little city can do wonders if we all stand together for the good.

May 25, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Thanks, Debbie! This is exactly what I was talking about in that other post about being part of the solution. 🙂

May 26, 2011 at 10:09 am

Wonderful post, Ivy . . . makes me feel like an ungrateful schmuck for griping about things that really don’t amount to a hill of beans if you look at the big picture.

May 26, 2011 at 10:12 am

Don’t feel bad, I wrote this post in the afternoon and in the evening I was bitching about being fat. A friend called me on it, luckily. I’m working really hard on being a positive person, but the curmudgeon underneath it all keep slipping out. 😀