The Sky Is Falling! The Tax Rates Are Doubling! Run For Cover!

Every morning I wake up with a plan. The plan for today was to go over to City Hall to pick up some paperwork, then buy a few groceries and come home to play with my new kitten. As it turned out, I spent a lot more time at City Hall then I had planned, but this works out really well for this site.

I opened up the DNJ’s website this morning to see this headline: “La Vergne to double property tax rate.” I opened it up and was gobsmacked with a giant picture of Dennis Waldron. Well, hello there, Mr. Alderman! You can read the piece for yourself, but what it boils down to is this, Mayor Mosley says we have to do this, Dennis Waldron says, “Look at all the things we did without raising taxes!”

Um, yeah. Let me just straighten some things out. Ever heard the term, “unfunded mandates”? That’s a lot of what had been accomplished without raising taxes. You can’t continue to spend more and more without taking in more money. The upcoming budget is taking care of that, funding these things that were not funded previously.

Since I was going to City Hall anyway, I trotted on down to the Mayor’s office and sat down and talked with her. While I was there, Larry Flowers (definitely my favorite person at Channel 4) came in and I got to sit in on the interview he did with Mayor Mosley.

So, here’s what we talked about. When I was talking with the mayor prior to her interview with Mr. Flowers, I asked, “What alternatives to raising the taxes have you talked about?” She told me about how the city is actively trying to bring in some good retail stores to this city. Currently, Grant Green (city planner), Graeme Coats (on the planning commission and economic development advisory board), and Aldermen Tom Broeker and Sherry Green are at the International Shopping Center Conference, trying to work to bring us some more retail. This would help us bring in more of the sales tax income that we currently receive. Additionally, they are working with developers to bring better quality neighborhoods to the city. They are also turning the Old Timer’s Day into a festival that instead of costing the city money, will be a money maker for the city. So, raising property tax rates is not the only thing they are doing to try to bring more revenue to the city.

Mayor Mosley told me she has spent many sleepless nights thinking about how to balance the city budget, and having to raise taxes. She doesn’t want to. Nobody wants to. Sadly, it has to. There just isn’t enough money. She said she has a moral obligation to our city to provide the services we need, such as police officers and firefighters. Do we want a 5 minute police response time when we call 911? 3 minute response time when we have a house fire? I’d say we do- lives are at stake. What are your families’ lives worth to you?

The thing that Larry Flowers brought up that the DNJ article sadly lacked was this: what will this actually cost? Currently our tax rate is 50 cents per thousand dollars that your house is assessed. Most houses in La Vergne assess in the $100,000-$150,000 range, so for the sake of my crapness at math, let’s take a look at what this will actually cost for a $120,000 house.

If you have a house that assesses at $120,000, then currently the property tax you pay to the city is $60 a year, that’s $5 a month you’re paying. So if the tax rate doubles and goes up to $1 per thousand, that means you now pay $120 a year, or $10 a month. That is not going to break the vast majority of people. Even when coupled with the water rate increase, I figure I’ll be paying a total of $20 more a month. That means 5 less Red Bulls, or 2 less lunches out, or 2 less movies-in-the-theater.

EDIT: Poo, my math is bad. Apparently there’s a formula which you can go read here- How To Figure Your Property Tax Rates. Me, I just called the city to see what I paid last year. My house appraised for $124,000, and I paid $142 in city taxes last year. So, that means I’ll be paying $11.83 more per month. Yeah, still not going to break me- $12 extra a month plus the $15 extra in water bill increase means an extra $27 a month, which still means a few less Red Bulls, fewer lunches out, less extra stuff.

Mr. Flowers asked Mayor Mosley about possibly capping the rates for senior citizens and she stated that this is something they will be discussing soon.

So, before you start running around like a chicken with your head cut off about tax rates increasing, consider what it really means. Also, if you were one of the folks who was hit with a higher tax assessment recently, keep in mind that you can appeal that (this is done through the county) and when I have time, I will put a post up on how that process is done.

You know, this website has been asking for years why the property tax rates have not increased. Finally, we have someone in there who is not afraid to do this. Yes, it IS a lot to swallow at one time, but keep in mind, the mayor has a 5 year plan. A plan!! When’s the last time anyone in the city administration had a plan?

72 comments for “The Sky Is Falling! The Tax Rates Are Doubling! Run For Cover!

1. mark
    May 24, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I say dont raise taxes so the city doesnt hire police but lays some of them off so the crime can get even worse in the city. Also cut the fire dept out of the budget so when there is a fire your house will burn all the down. lets not raise the water and sewer rates so our toliets can overflow with filth, and lastly lets cut the pay checks of the city workers and watch the city to to hell fast. What do you all think? I say lets do what I suggest and watch La Vergne die!!!

2. May 24, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I’ll put it into perspective for you. My sister-in-law lives in central NJ and pays over $10,000 in property taxes yearly (state and city). SO, yeah, we can handle an extra $12 a month.

May 24, 2011 at 2:12 pm

AND, she has to live in friggin’ New Jersey, at that, lol.

• Adrianne Meeeeechelle
        May 24, 2011 at 2:32 pm

LOL yeah no kidding! Her area is next to Princeton, so it’s actually really pretty, but I told my husband that we are never moving there (his entire family lives there). He agrees. That’s why he left. ;-)

• Kitti
      May 25, 2011 at 4:52 pm

WOW.

• J Peazy
      May 29, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Do you know why the taxes in NJ are so high? It is partially because of the position you are taking in this post.

It starts out at $12 per month. Ever heard of a “slippery slope”?

By the way, whenever anyone (salesman, politician, city PR agent, etc.) breaks down a sum into smaller installments to make it seem like less money than it actually is – it should raise a red flag for you. Every time…without exception, because you’re being told a lie.

3. Cee Dee
    May 24, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Guess Mr. Waldron missed the meeting and conversaton where the point was brought up that if the water & sewer rates weren’t raised by the city, the State would take it over & set the rates. Guess he also missed the conversation about the GENERAL FUND being broke — this is where the former adminstration drained the money to keep from raising any taxes. Now there is nothing to fall back on. The City has no money to fund anything right now. Something has to be done to provide the citizens the protection and amenities we all want. I also heard that Mr. Waldron was asked by board members for ways to avoid raising taxes and provide safety for us all & that the board would be more than happy to hear them & if feasible implement them instead of raising taxes. No solution was given. I don’t want the taxes raised either, but I know that it is a reality and we have to do something to make La Vergne a place we want to live & attract others to. In my opinion, Mr. Waldron is planning his own political future in a couple of years — “I voted for no tax increases!” At least as Ivy said, there is a plan in place. I understand that Mr. Waldron did not even attend the retreat in Murfreesboro where the plan was discussed among the board & the dept. heads. Where are his real interests?

May 24, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Very good points, Cee Dee! I meant to ask that in the post, if Mr. Waldron is so dead set against the tax increase, what is his plan, then?!?!

4. May 24, 2011 at 3:12 pm

for what it’s worth Lakewood, OH, where I’m moving to in a couple of weeks, has an average property tax rate of $3,095. Is that an enormous increase from my $158.00 property tax here? Darn-freakin-lutely! But it’s worth it. The schools…oh the schools, La Vergne can not compete. They have above 90% rate of college admissions after finishing high school. They recently ranked in Forbe’s Magazine as one of the best places in America to raise a family. And then there’s the fact that every street has paved, maintained sidewalks and bike lanes to boot. Let’s not forget curbside recycling, and the fact that the city averages less than 120 crimes PER YEAR, including but not limited to petty theft, breaking and entering, and domestic violence. I’ve witnessed more crimes than that right here on my street since January! On top of that, there are fine dining restaurants, art boutiques, and every amenity you could wish for within walking distance while being located on the beatific and scenic shores of Lake Erie.
    La Vergne will never be able to compare to Lakewood, but increasing your property taxes will help push you in that direction. It really is true what they say, you get what you pay for, and quite frankly,here in La Vergne we don’t pay for sh*t or shinola, as my grandfather used to say.

• Ben
      May 25, 2011 at 12:41 pm

What are you? A real estate agent in Lakewood? Thanks for the advertisement, but you failed to mention that Lakewood resides in a suburb of Cleveland. Also Detroit and 117th doesn’t look to be the safest area and it’s only about 13 blocks away.

• May 25, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Ben, I’m not a real estate agent. Sure, Detroit and 117th is closer to the Cleveland city limits, and inner city living is always riskier, but still, I point you to the 120 crimes PER YEAR that Lakewood experiences compared to La Vergne’s rates:
        Violent Crime Rate
        Data comes from the FBI Uniform Crime Rate database for 2008.

La Vergne, Tennessee has a violent crime rate of 594 incidents per 100,000 people.

• J Peazy
          May 29, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Lakewood’s sounds more akin to Brentwood than La Vergne. That may be a fairer comparison.

Brentwood’s property taxes are:

Property Taxes

Average Residential Property Tax in Brentwood FY 2008-2009

Assumptions: Home valued at $420,000 (Assessed value=$105,000)

Property Taxes
          City $515 (18%)
          County $2,373 (82%)

Still lower. Affluent areas like these keep taxes high to keep the “riff-raff” out – it ain’t got much to do with services.

• Sarah N.
          May 29, 2011 at 10:23 pm

But there are only 32,000 people here, so wouldn’t that make the crime rate about 190 a year?

• Kitti
      May 25, 2011 at 4:54 pm

I want sidewalks!!! I live walking distance from downtown LaVergne, but do not have a deathwish!!

5. steve noe
    May 24, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I don’t see why the city of Lavergne can’t pay our taxes for us and our water bill and by gum while they at it, how’s about coming and mowing my grass? OH and my son needs a new 2012 drop -3 bat.

• Ben
      May 25, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Maybe our city should pay for you to learn how to write properly.

• J Peazy
      May 29, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Maybe they could offer free sarcasm classes at City Hall.

You could benefit. Your attempt was rather weak.

6. aunt yoya
    May 24, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Curious how in the world people expect this city to operate without funds and still maintain the level of service they expect. A rational person does not expect to make the same amount of pay year after year and still survive so why is a city any different? They must pay for the services that are providing to you and how can they do that in the red? If you want to see LaVergne become annexed into Smyrna or Lower Antioch then continue to listen and follow Dennis Waldron’s plan of do nothing like “we always did” which is how we got into this mess to begin with! I understand there are elderly people on a fixed income and there are govt programs that will help them with their utilities and freezing their taxes and hopefully our fine leaders will be able to present these options in a manner to educate the elderly so they may be able to obtain this help. Let’s be honest here the rate hikes aren’t gonna be anymore than a month’s worth of those latte’s you have to stop for everyday on the way to your job where you are expecting that raise cause you did such a fabulous job last year!

May 24, 2011 at 4:37 pm

I am not opposed to a property tax hike (I do think this is too much at once, but if it has to be done, it has to be done). With that said…

The comparisons to property taxes in NJ and OH are not accurate. Property taxes are tied to the values of the homes. I don’t think the average home price around Princeton is $120,000. It’s probably more like $1,200,000. And it sounds like the area in Ohio. If there is a $1,000,000 home in La Vergne (?), their property taxes would be going up by $100 a month. That same person would be spending over $8,000 a year for city/county property taxes. And I know there are $1,000,000 homes in Rutherford county.

yoya – hypothetically, property tax “rates” should never have to go up, only the same or down. The reason is because property values, hypothetically, should trend upward. Yes I know when the assesments are done the city legally has to lower the property tax rate, but they could legally then raise it back the the same level (which is why we have been at $.50 for awhile).

If the city is broke and this has to be done, let’s do it. But the city received more money from property taxes in 2008 than it received in 2001 because we have a ton more people/homes. That money clearly wasn’t being spent wisely. What is being done to ensure those mistakes aren’t repeated?

• May 24, 2011 at 5:48 pm

My SIL’s house is only about 2,500 sq ft, but was appraised at $400,000. So the houses are about twice the price AND they’re paying exorbitant property taxes.

May 24, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Just reading the DNJ article and some of the comments. One of the coments said that in 2007, a proposal was put forth to increase the tax rate from $.50 to $.69 which wuld have still been lower than any other city in the county. The comment says that then-alderman Mosley voted against the increase $.19 increase, which was slated to hire additional police officers. I don’t recall this being discussed several years ago. Does anyone recall this?

May 24, 2011 at 10:48 pm

I wondered the same thing – it doesn’t ring a bell with me either.

• wrong
      May 26, 2011 at 1:46 am

It is my understanding that at that time Senna refused to vote for a tax increase because of the city administrator at the time, Mark Moshea.
      I believe she had tried twice for a vote to remove him from office and either could not get a second or was voted down. During this time it was common for her to be a single vote.

9. Mary
    May 24, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Not to mention the $$$$ that the City is having to pay because of the racial issues here in our City, Public Works and the Police cost us somewhere close to a million. Where did that come from?

• Cricket123
      May 24, 2011 at 10:53 pm

Probably the “rainy day fund” and that’s why we are broke… that and the water bill at the No-Tell Motel…

10. May 24, 2011 at 10:38 pm

My question is has the city cut back on any of the services it has provided under these unfunded mandates? Have these been cut or reduced back?

Also one thing I didn’t see in the article which isn’t done by the city is that not only are property, water, and sewer rates going up but also energy prices and food prices are going up. As a result the wife and I have had to cut back how much we spend which at the same time will reduce the sales tax revenue as well if many others are having to cut back because of increases.

• May 24, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Exactly which services would you suggest they cut? The police department of 46 officers for over 32,000 residents? The fire department? Because our ISO ratings are so low, there aren’t even that many places in LaVergne for you and the wife to spend your discretionary funds. I’m happy to eat beans and rice a couple more meals a month if it means we can have a larger police force, fire department, better roads, and attract more businesses!

• michaelinLV
        May 25, 2011 at 8:07 am

Again, the ISO is not the reason we lack retail. We lack reail because we were originally too close to Antioch, then s northern Rutherford boomed, Smyrna beat us to the punch with Sam Ridley Parkway. Mt. Juliet has the same ISO as us and they have Providence. Mt. Juliet has no city property tax and no city fire service (only county)

I think maybe what we should be asking is, other than schools, what are we in La Vergne receiving in return for our county property taxes?

• Ben
          May 25, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Amen!

• May 25, 2011 at 8:12 am

I have not gone through the budget line item by line item, but I expect the mayor & aldermen to do just that. If the city was spending money it didn’t have it should cut some of that. I have heard of increases but no cuts other than not pay increases in the budget. Wage freezes are already pretty common. My employers did it for more than a year, then when bringing them back drastically cut the percentage. So what cost saving/reducing efforts is the city making?

• Cee Dee
          May 25, 2011 at 10:30 am

Although the wages for employees was “frozen” didn’t their “benefit package” increase — which would be an increase for them? Very few employers pay for FULL insurance coverage for an employee & their families, much less the generous time allowed off for personal days & vacation. I would be more comfortable with a smaller tax increase too, but since we have had to settle so many very expensive lawsuits and bleed the “general fund” for settlement, we have to put money in the coffer somehow.

May 25, 2011 at 10:47 am

Usually companies carry some sort of liability policy for lawsuit settlements. Lord only knows what the deductible might be, but surely the City carried such a policy and didn’t pay the settlements completely out of pocket?!

11. May 25, 2011 at 8:52 am

I love Larry Flowers, too. I remember watching his coverage on our area during the flood.

May 25, 2011 at 8:57 am

Yeah, that’s when I first was seriously impressed by him, too. It was seriously cool meeting him yesterday.

12. Angela Hickman
    May 25, 2011 at 10:15 am

Well let’s see: NES/TVA seem to increase their prices each year; water is increasing 40%; sewer increasing 60%; health insurance premiums and co-pay rates have increased; dental costs have risen; gasoline prices are ridiculous; food prices have increased; home owners insurance has increased; and now talk about property taxes doubling! My employer (State of TN) hasn’t given us a raise in five years. Oh wait, we are getting a 1.6% increase this year which I am grateful for. That will be a big $50 extra a month (before taxes). Government is making it so difficult for families to survive. Some La Vergne families may not have extras we can cut out of our budget. It takes every dollar to put a roof over our heads. A few dollars here and there is already being taken by so many that it may mean the difference between families being able to survive. I feel taxed to death!

13. Ben
    May 25, 2011 at 12:18 pm

How about tear down the crappy motel on Waldron and build a shopping center with a grocery store. I live on the west side of Lavergne and do all my shopping on Sam Ridley. If there was a grocery store in the area by me I would choose it. Also the land that is for sale on the back road to Target, build a Wal-Mart. It would bring in people from Smyrna and bring in money! Oh, and maybe get a nice restaurant or two.

• Elizabeth
      May 25, 2011 at 6:15 pm

I would also like to see a Wal-Mart and a new restaurant or two…I go to Smyrna to spend my money at one of their restaurants….could spend it here in La Vergne if we had the facilities….

• Tracey
        May 26, 2011 at 9:18 am

Check out Willstan’s near the Kroger on Murfreesboro Rd. for local EXCELLENT food and dining! Not too expensive, very little wait time, and the food is wonderful!

14. Adam Ringenberg
    May 25, 2011 at 1:45 pm

So when is the Senior Center closing?

When are all these programs being cancelled?

Who do I need to call when I see four police cars respond to a fender-bender in the Taco Bell parking lot? Because obviously we have too many officers on patrol if they have nothing better to do, and someone should be sent home.

Why did we buy the Mayor a car? Why can’t she use her own to drive to and from work?

Why did the Rescue Duck go to Atlanta to check out the new fancy police cars Ford is offering if we aren’t planning on buying any?

Here’s an idea: If you don’t have enough money, spend less. I better not find out that ANY government building in La Vergne has cable TV service.

• Sarah N.
      May 25, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Adam,

The Parks and Rec classes are mostly paid for by the fees the students pay to participate.

We have 52 police personnel, including dispatchers, for a population of over 32,000. That certainly doesn’t sound like there are too many to me. In fact, one of the chief complaints that I hear from residents is that we don’t have enough police officers.

And we didn’t but this mayor a car. She’s driving the same one Ronnie Erwin drove.

If you want to know if any government buildings have cable, read the darned budget already!

• Wrong
        May 25, 2011 at 7:03 pm

The Mayor is Not Driving the same vehicle as Ronnie Erwin. She is driving the former I.T. Directors vehicle. The vehicle bought for the mayor had to have work done on it and is being driven by the new City Administrator I believe. The Vice Mayor Drives an old Crown Vic.
        Most buildings do have cable, limited. Every time I have been in the T.Vs are on channel 3.

May 25, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Uhhhh….I happen to know for a fact that the Vice Mayor drives a vehicle that is a. *not* a Crown Vic and b. is bought and paid for by none other than Mr. and Mrs. Chris Farmer.

• Wrong
            May 25, 2011 at 9:25 pm

If you say so. But your statement does not change the fact that he has been driving a city owned white crown vic., I have seen him driving it. I did not say it was assigned to him, I said he drives it and he does; unless he has since stopped. I was just making the statement. If board members wish to drive city vehicles they should be allowed as long as they follow the rules and are covered by the insurance. Yes I know he has his own vehicle also, equipped with lights and E-tags, he Is a trained paramedic. So Ivy how about another fact; the city recorder has been assigned a white Ford truck… He also is the assistant city administrator. He probably has cable also. Oh wait, Chris pays for that too; my bad…

• michaelinLV
          May 25, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Wait, so the city is providing vehicles to the mayor, vice mayor, and IT Director? Why?

• wrong
            May 26, 2011 at 1:52 am

Almost all department heads have a vehicle assigned to them which is normal. The use is justified due to the requirements of being a department head. Same reason that I do not have an issue with board members driving city vehicles. Any event that they are at, they are representing us. Even Dennis should have one if he chooses.

• May 25, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Wrong answer Sara. The city did buy the new Mayor a car. Ronnie Erwin’s car is being put in the city auction. I called public works and recieved an answer. Her husband needs to quit driving her city car. Print that kathy or ivy

• michaelinLV
      May 25, 2011 at 9:54 pm

I don’t see cable TV anywhere in the budget (except for the money received from Comcast/AT&T for their franchise fees.

15. Adam Ringenberg
    May 25, 2011 at 4:27 pm

“Mostly” means “not entirely.” The people running the classes should be paying rent, so this SHOULD be a profit center. If it’s not, shut them down. If the building rental doesn’t cover the maintenance cost of the building, shut them down and sell the building.

Then there should be stuff for them to do other than having multiple units respond to a fender bender. If they’re not busy, they’re not understaffed.

I was in the Alderman meeting where they approved the purchase of a Ford Expedition for her, so we did buy her a car. Even if that entire meeting was a hoax and she’s using the old one, why can’t she use her own car?

I’d love to. Can’t find it on the city’s website, and a search for “budget” yields 0 results.

May 25, 2011 at 4:46 pm

You can’t find the budget? What? It’s right on the front page of the website for you to download. Here: http://www.lavergne.org/

Here’s a picture of where it’s at: http://www.thisislavergne.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Picture-14.jpg

• Adam Ringenberg
        May 26, 2011 at 10:19 am

So where is the further breakdown? Categories like “Other professional services” is too broad.

I don’t believe the numbers saying some departments only need $500/yr for water. How is that possible when my modest home will (with the new rates) use $600/year?

• May 25, 2011 at 6:48 pm

My goodness, Adam. You sound like a horrible person to be around. Cable? Seriously. Wow.

• wrong
        May 26, 2011 at 1:55 am

I dont know Adrianne, just because you do not care for Adams approach doesnt mean that he is an ass. We are all different with methods that vary.

• May 26, 2011 at 9:17 am

I didn’t say ass, but, yeah, we’ll go with that. ;-)

• Adam Ringenberg
            May 26, 2011 at 9:34 am

Please explain a reason they would need cable.

Asking me to cough up money so they can watch TV at work is the real jackass thing, here.

16. Kitti
    May 25, 2011 at 4:59 pm

It’s never easy to get people to agree to raising taxes. But the result of not raising them is lower and lower standard of living!

I am really glad to hear that more retail could be here soon. I am really tickled that we got a Kroger of our very own, and I go there often even tho it’s currently smaller than Sam Ridley’s.

I’d love having a few nice restaurants! Tho it’s really hard to beat Noodle House. MMMM…NOODLE HOUSE!!!

May 25, 2011 at 5:00 pm

I love Noodle House. LOVE!!!

• michaelinLV
      May 25, 2011 at 9:12 pm

I don’t think the issue is the property tax increase, it’s the amount of the increase right after a massive water/sewer increase.

• Adam Ringenberg
      May 26, 2011 at 9:36 am

Please explain how taking more of my money raises my standard of living.

May 25, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Ok, so I’m looking through the budget and someone tell me if I’m misreading this

So the property tax increase is going to bring in approximately an additional $4,000,000. You can see that on the first page of the operating and maintenance budget in the last 2 columns. Then if you go down a couple of pages you’ll see the summary showing that at the end of year without the increase, there would be $3.7mil left in the bank account, but with the increase there is $5.8mil left. that means of the additional $4mil, $2mil is just being put in the bank. So instead of going up to $1.00, why not just go up to $.75 this year? You could hire a few new fire fighters, police officers, build some sidewalks, and still have $3.7mil left in the general fund. Does anyone else read it this way or am I missing something?

18. Ivy
    May 25, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Wrong: I can’t reply to your post, the comments only allow replies for a certain number of posts. Anyway, I’m not Chris and I can’t say whether he’s ever driven a Crown Vic or not, I can only speak to what I know which is I see Chris around town constantly and he’s always driving his personal vehicle.

As far as the city recorder, I have no idea. I’ve only met him once and I wouldn’t have any idea what he drives. I suppose I can get you a list of all the cars everyone in the city government drives, would that suit? :D

• Wrong
      May 25, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Dont know them all. I was just trying to correct the statement about what vehicle the Mayor drives. Most of the board members and upper level staff members do so many different meetings on the cities behalf that they should have newer vehicles in my opinion. Not older vehicles that can become prone to breaking down when you are on you way to something important. For the most part I do not have a big problem with the property tax increase. The only reason to raise it so high in one increase is so it will not have to be increased again in a couple of years. as for the water and sewer rates, I could not believe it when the prior mayor chose not to increase the rates when Metro hit us with a $750,000.00 increase. I understand the whole process can be complicated but if I produce a product and my cost increase, I either have to increase my cost or go out of business. I dont like paying more either, I believe we have a bigger problem with Boner and his inflated values than with justified cost. I did look over the budget and I hate accounting. we can be stagnant or we can improve. I wish to improve. I will not bitch, whine or complain until I start seeing waste. Cool?

May 25, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Yeah, I have always had a problem with the county taxes. We receive no services from the county except school, I think if you live in an area with city taxes, you should get a discount.

Anyway, yeah, we’re cool! I agree with you, let’s take the hit now instead of several increases. Get it out of the way.

• Wrong
          May 25, 2011 at 11:20 pm

As long as I still get to enjoy my food on occasion.
          Hai Woon Dai, somthing like that. On Antioch Pike near Haywood Lane. No frills, not fancy, not many non-Koreans. Great Food. Wonderful seafood soup to go with choice of Bulgogi.MMmmmmmmmm

19. Wrong
    May 25, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Noodle house is decent for Thai/Lao food it depends on what you like. Best Pho(noodle soup) Thida Thai in Smyrna. Lad Na, Bamboo on Waldron Road. Kao Piak(homemade chicken noodle soup)in shopping center with Dominos on M’boro Road.
    I think it is kind of like a good steak, who does your cut the way you like.
    I really wish we had a good Korean place close. There is one on Antioch Pike that is great.
    The best part about either style is the food is the real thing and not a washed down version for Americans.
    Hungry now…..

May 25, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Now I’m hungry, too, thanks a lot, lol. I absolutely LOVE Korean food. When I was last out in California I had some that was amazing. I wish we had restaurants here like they do in California, they have EVERYTHING. (food wise. otherwise, I am not a fan of California at all.)

May 25, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Here’s a few other things I see in the 5-10 year plan.

– I see a $2mil rec center is planned, but no pool? I know this forum has been in favor of replacing a building like the civic center with a rec center. But it seems like you would build a pool simply because you can make money from a pool. Charge $5 and put a bubble on it in the winter; it will pay for the whole building!

– It looks like they are wanting to build another fire station. Personally, I think right now we have plenty of fire stations, for a town our size 3 should suffice. Where I live, the LHS area is probably the least served by fire protection, but Smyrna fire is literally right across the SRP. Why not just contract with them? It seems like that would be less than $2mil.

– It looks like they are budgeting a ton of new cars for codes, engineering, etc, at a cost of $500 a month (lease?) for a total cost of $30,000 per vehicle. Why not just buy used cars? I just bought a nice used car, low miles (35,000) and leather interior, and I spent $11,000.

– IT is spending about $100k per year on new phones. I would like to see how many phones they need and the cost, that just sounds high. Our company just bought a new digital PBX, and the phones are expensive, but about $250 per phone. That math translates to 400 new phones per year for the next 10 years. Does La Vergne even have 400 employees total?

• J Peazy
      May 29, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Isn’t the new Mayor’s husband big stuff in the Metro Fire Dept.? I wonder why she decided we needed a Fire Department upgrade?

• joe blow
        May 30, 2011 at 12:44 pm

J Peazy you are right!!! I heard that she is just using the city for the benefits and the truck they provide her! Its all some sort of conspiracy to take the money out of our hands as La Vergne citizens and funnel it back into NFD….Why didn’t we think of this sooner?? If there was just some way to keep evil people like this out of office….Oh I know we could run against them ourselves or maybe even VOTE!! Come on people really does anyone think her husband working at Nashville have anything to do with us in La Vergne? I mean she did vote against the Fire contract.

• J Peazy
          May 30, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Actually I did vote, and not for her.

I don’t believe I ever said anyone was funneling La Vergne money into NFD. Don’t attribute some crazy idea to me in order to discredit my point. That doesn’t work with me because I’m not 6 years old and we aren’t arguing next to the monkey bars at La Vergne Primary.

My point (because you obviously missed it) is that if an elected official is married to someone who is employed in a particular industry, and one of her first orders of business is to raise tax money and allocate it to that industry, a rational person will raise an eyebrow.

By the way, I love your “Why didn’t WE” argument strategy. What are you trying to do? Place yourself in the majority to give your opinion credibility? Also, way to punctuate it with your “C’mon People” appeal for a group to back up your point.

Try standing on your own merit for once…you may like how it makes you feel.

GO PANDAS!

• joe blow
            May 30, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Ok. I can see you are dead set she is a problem. Feel as you want to without all of the facts. First of all has she ever hid that she grew up in a fire family or that her husband is a fireman? No. Second if you came to meetings you would know she voted against the fire contract. So with that said did they have any choice on funding the fire contract that is pretty well set in stone for the next 10 years? No. How else are they supposed to pay for the contract when the money was not there?

Here is a question no one on here has asked why does the city contract an outside company to treat their water when the city owns the facility? Read the budget and see what you can find. Cut that out and they would have almost enough money to cover the contract for fire. There are lots of things that at least 2 of the elected officials had nothing to do with and they are stuck trying to figure out what to do to fix them. If everyone finds it easy to brow beat go to city hall and ask to speak with one of your elected officials. I would be willing to bet they would be more than happy to sit down and explain why they have decided to do what they have done. Heck they would probably even be glad to go over the budget with you if you think you can fix it.

I have seen things that could be cut out. Why don’t they get rid of the city administrator? That is what close to $80,000 a year it would save. Eliminate that position and do it yourselves. That is what we elected you to do. Do like my gradfather used to always say get rid of all the “chiefs and hire some more indians”.

21. Liberty
    May 27, 2011 at 11:23 am

I’m okay with my water and my property going up as long as it means that the LPD is finally gonna do something about the the teens selling drugs at the end of my street. I’ve called many times and still nothing is being done about it, but the lady that lives 2 house’s down from me was arrested for harboring her son after he broke into a bunch of houses and stole people personal belongings and they finally got her son! Took them over a month and I’ve been calling them everytime I saw the punk sitting in his mama’s truck. We need our officers to do something about the low lifes that are taking over Lake Forest! Just the other day a family on the corner of Tom Hailey lost their house. I feel bad for them,but did they really have to deface the poperty by spray painting the front of the house letting the whole neighborhood know they are homeless now??? I do agree that we need to cut the fat from the budget or our city will turn into Antioch!

22. Roger S.
    June 7, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Short and Sweet! Keep your hands out of my pockets! I will see who votes for the raise in tax and the ones that do will not get my family’s vote. I don’t care who you are or what party you are!