Zoom On Over To Zumba!

Last night I went to Zumba, which is sponsored by the La Vergne Police Athletic League. Let me tell you a little something about me: I hate exercising with the fire of a thousand suns. I mean, I like walking okay, and I like yoga quite a bit. But cardio classes always kick my tail. But I like to eat as much as I hate exercising, so cardio classes are what I really need.

So, off to Zumba I went. If you’re not familiar with what Zumba is, it is a dance-inspired exercise program. People who are familiar with cardio classes of any sort will recognize a lot of the moves used in Zumba. It’s generally not that hard to follow (and I say this as someone who is hopelessly uncoordinated) and the moves are pretty fun. The atmosphere in the class is that of a lot of people having a good time, so even if you’re lost (I spent a lot of time lost) you still are having a good time.

I attribute that a lot to the class’s instructor, Jane Ascher. I always figured it took a special kind of evil to be a fitness instructor. My fellow folks who hate exercise but have gone to a lot of exercise classes probably know exactly what I’m talking about: a whole lot of fitness instructors will give this running commentary throughout class that kinda makes you feel bad. Like, you’re doing an especially hard set, sweat exiting your body like rats on a sinking ship. You think you’re going to die. Meanwhile, the instructor hasn’t yet broken a sweat and she beams at the class and says something like, “Isn’t this a blast?!” or “We’re just getting started!” or the thing I absolutely despise- you’re doing a particularly hard movement and he’s like, “Only a hundred more reps to go!” You can just feel their joy in making you miserable.

But Jane was not that way AT ALL! She was really positive and kept the commentary down to a minimum, instead focusing on guiding people on what to do next. You could tell she was really having a good time, joyful about her exercising. And I thought, “Maybe if I stick with this, I could feel this way too.” So, thank you, Jane, for making me feel that way. You are AWESOME!

If you want to know more about the La Vergne Police Athletic League and the amazing things they are doing with our community, the link at the very top of the page goes to their Facebook page and this link goes to their webpage.

If you would like to attend Zumba classes, it’s Monday and Wednesday evenings at 5:30, and Saturday mornings at 8:15. (I know! Early!!) It’s held at the La Vergne Civic Auditorium which is at 283 Old Nashville Highway. The cost is only a dollar!

Come on out and give it a try, you can’t be the worst in the class, because I intend to be there. (Maybe not Saturday mornings. I’ll try, lol.)

"Zoom On Over To Zumba!", 5 out of 5 based on 1 ratings.

16 comments for “Zoom On Over To Zumba!

1. Carrie
    May 19, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Wow! Only a dollar? That’s awesome!! We recently had to make the decision to discontinue our Y membership to save money, and I was kind bummed about it…but I’ve always loved Zumba, so maybe I can make it out to this class sometime soon! Thanks for the info!

May 19, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Awesome! I’m glad I could provide some helpful info for ya. 🙂

2. Jennifer
    May 19, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Wow!! Only $1.00 I’m so there.

May 19, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I know, I was super psyched about the low cost. 🙂

3. Theresa
    May 19, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Jane is an awesome instructor. I used to take a few classes with her at the Y before I had to give up my membership. As much as I need her classes, I haven’t been able to work around childcare issues at the times she teaches Zumba. I wish I could be there…I would be flopping around with the rest of you!!

4. tony vanatta
    May 19, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Well let’s see if I can make it Monday,,,,,but you have to be at the fronts with me dangit….lol

• Debbie Heughan
      May 19, 2011 at 8:20 pm

I’ll try to go on Monday if Tony is brave enough to try it…How long does it last?

5. Kathy T.
    May 19, 2011 at 8:41 pm

I had worked at Bridgestone Arena concessions for a year and lost a lot of weight doing that waking & running (and making money for girl scouts!). Working full-time now and unable to do that side work, I’ve been looking for another way to exercise… ta-da! Once this inner ear thing goes away, I’m there too! Yay for Jane and PAL!!

6. Ivy
    May 19, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Yay, Tony and Debbie, I’d love to see you there!!

May 20, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Is this mainly for older folks? (And no, I’m not gonna define “old.”) I guess I’m asking if it’s enough of a workout for late teens/early 20-somethings that are already in good shape and just want to stay that way over the summer.

May 20, 2011 at 1:42 pm

No, I think it would be great for a teen or a 20-something. I brought my friend’s 21ish year old daughter with me, she felt like it was a really good workout too.

8. Theresa
    May 20, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I found a way to start going on Saturdays but I can’t start until the first Saturday in June…who will be joining me?

May 20, 2011 at 3:03 pm

If I can manage to get my butt out of bed on Saturday mornings, I will try to be there!

9. JoAnne
    February 26, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Hi … Is this still going on? Sounds like fun.

Thank you!

10. Annette
    April 2, 2014 at 11:22 pm

Please tell me if zumba classes still offered at lav civic center? Thank you.

11. Mary Ann Knight
    December 30, 2015 at 11:12 am

Are the Zumba classes still being offered at the Lavergne Civic Center? Thanks!