Suggestions For The City

I’ve been thinking about some things lately. I know, thinking is a dangerous pastime, but I don’t have anything else better to do, haha. Okay, so this is something that’s been rolling around in the back of my mind  and one of our This Is LaVergne Facebook members put into words for me:

Wonder how much the city would save if at least half the homes opted for online bill pay? and without the extra fee being added on..I bet the bills would be paid right on time & without all the extra mailing cost & paper processing fees…Hmmmmmm

Yeah, I wonder if that would save the city some money as well. Of course, getting it set up might cost some money they don’t have right now, so I don’t know. But perhaps our fabulous officials could give it some thought when they have time.

My other idea that I’ve been rolling around is this- how could we get a magnet school here in La Vergne? I think part of the turning point for East Nashville was when they got the East Literature Magnet School. Think it’s possible for a turnaround for us like that?

21 comments for “Suggestions For The City

1. Debbie Heughan
    May 9, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Magnet schools are great! They have one in Smyrna, but it only goes up to 8th grade. My son is about to graduate from a Christian Home School this spring.. It would have been great if there had been a Magnet school for La Vergne students or even a charter school option..When I asked several years ago about the possibility, I was told that it was a County matter..La Vergne certainly has numerous children that could really benefit from this type of learning environment,but I wouldn’t count on La Vergne getting much out of the county.. But it’s worth a try. You never know. 🙂

2. Lillie Rainey
    May 9, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I logged on here with the intention of suggesting online bill pay for the water department. I see it has already been suggested! I think this is a way to help us feel better about the increase that is coming in our bill. I understand why it is going up, but if you could at least make it more convenient for us to pay, then it would feel like somewhat of a compromise I could live easier with. I too suggest that it would decrease costs in the long run.

3. Sarah N
    May 9, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Has anyone ever been to the Renaissance Center in Dixon? We need something like that for the kids here. Also, I would love to see a Tools of the Mind program adopted at the pre-k level, and a Magnet School of course. That probably is a county thing, though.

4. Tracey
    May 10, 2011 at 8:13 am

A really HUGE (free!) after school park/skate/ basketball place for kids. We have too many kids with time on their hands in this area, esp older kids who don’t want to attend an after school program. Rutherford county just added Central magnet this year and it has been fabulously successful. (and they do bus students in from Lavergne and Smyrna). The waiting list is getting huge even now for that school. Perhaps they are looking to add another in the future?

• EARL WILSON
      May 10, 2011 at 12:50 pm

With the potential property tax increase, it is time for some major additions to the city park system. More basketball courts at Veterans Park with lights and a painted court surface to look like an actual court.
      Exploring a beach at Hurricane Creek, a major park farther back in Lake Forest, if we could take over Hurrican Creek boat dock perhaps there.

A youth/seniors center with gym, meeting rooms, etc. and yes the seniors would be in the same building (they could have separate entrance and parking though).

A park on the other side of I-24. A larger park in the older part of town near the ONH Jefferson Pike triangle. Just some thoughts.

5. Theresa
    May 10, 2011 at 8:24 am

For those of you that want online bill paying for the water bill, have you looked into doing it through your bank? That is how I pay my water bill and it works out perfectly for me. Just a thought.

6. Robotoid
    May 10, 2011 at 10:56 am

Maximize our remaining commercial real estate development with quality retail space.No more junk yards (car lots).Oush the cities population and traffic counts to get results.

7. Jen Strange
    May 10, 2011 at 11:03 am

my water bill is now my ONLY bill that I can’t pay online without a fee. ridiculous. get with the program, guys!!!

May 10, 2011 at 12:14 pm

How do you pay your gas bill online? That and the water bill are the only two I have left.

• Jen Strange
        May 16, 2011 at 7:51 am

I don’t have a gas bill LOL

8. EARL WILSON
    May 10, 2011 at 12:44 pm

If you would like a magnet school, you need to go before the COUNTY school board. As far as I know RCS only has one magnet school (Central Magnet in MUrfreesboro) and with all the poor mouthing they do, I do not see them adding any.

May 10, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I realize that’s a Rutherford County thing, however, I do think our city officials could help ease the process by entering into negotiations with the County School Board. That was where I was going with that.

• EARL F WILSON
        May 13, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I would like to see a member of the board or city administration at every county school board and county commission meeting. The county affects your life a lot more than you think when consider that about 80 % of the county budget is schools and jails.

9. mark
    May 11, 2011 at 12:36 pm

I bet there might be a grant out there for a community center for after school or maybe even one for a public pool. The grant writer is now doing her job so maybe she can find a grant to help with the building of such buildings.

Also why doesnt either city La Vergne or Smyrna have a hign school home coming parade? I grew up and they used to have them back in the day to show your school spirit. Come on La Vergne and Smyrna show your pride.

• Jennifer
      May 19, 2011 at 7:15 pm

We moved here from out of state and I am amazed at the lack of parades ya’ll have! Not even for the Fourth of July or Memorial Day?!?!?! My one consolation was that there was a festival…. then I went to Old Timer’s Day…. very disappointing =(

• Sarah N.
        May 19, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Jennifer, be sure to give Old Timers’ another try this year. There are big changes in store!

• Kathy T.
        May 19, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Hey Jennifer. We are pushing for more floats and bands at this year’s Old Timers Festival parade. You should’ve heard the debate in city hall about the safety of throwing candy to the kids during the parade!! Also, this year there will be a night-time Christmas parade! We’re getting there…

• Cee Dee
          May 20, 2011 at 9:39 am

I just wish the name of the “festival” would change. What does the name “Old Timers” have to do with the type of festival we have today? No longer do folks dress in long dresses & overalls to attend — make it the “La Vergne Fall Festival” or something like that — Old Timers is so outdated & uninviting to so many. With all the other changes, the name should be changed as well.

• May 20, 2011 at 10:18 am

Are they not going to throw candy anymore, Kathy? My kids might come after the Mayor if that happens lol

• Kathy T.
            May 20, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Yes they are throwing candy, but we’re asking paraders to limit the actual “throwers” to be at least 12 years old. That way we’re not so paranoid about a kid falling out of a car while flinging candy at someone’s head. 😉

10. Kathy T.
    May 20, 2011 at 8:44 pm

By the way, the Old Timers Festival web page is now LIVE. http://www.oldtimersfestival.com. Plan to update it regularly – as we book the community stage, confirm sponsors, crafters, etc.