First, if you want to watch the Board of Mayor and Aldermen meeting that was on the 3rd, it’s on tonight and tomorrow night at 7 PM. That’s not the good news, the good news is this:
It’s time for the La Vergne Library Spring Book Sale!Â The La Vergne Public Library will be conducting its spring book sale on Saturday, May 7th from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. in the storytime room.
What, you’re not a reader? Then how about this:
With the scope of the former Old Timers Day changing to a three-day festival, we need help with our logo!
The annual La Vergne Old Timers Festival is scheduled September 16-18 and designed to both showcase the talent in the community and to bring fun for residents and visitors!
While we love our old logo, we need a new one that highlights our "New Beginnings" while also celebrating our past history. We are opening a logo and t-shirt / poster design contest to the community and the winner will receive a $200 honorarium fee, as well as five t-shirts showcasing the winning design.
Here are the requirements:
* Logo should contain the words: Â "Old Timers’ Festival" and "La Vergne, Tennessee"
* Logo should not contain any date references.
* T-shirt design containing logo may contain a date reference of year (2011) only.
* T-shirt design should be compatible with most fabric colors, particularly "light" colors.
* Logo for contest should be submitted as regular electronic file (.pdf, .jpg, or .tif) by CD and as a hard copy. The artist’s name, address, email, and phone should be included both on the CD cover and the back of the hard copy.
* Final logo must be submitted as a vector file (.ai, .eps).
* Entrants agree to give all publishing rights (electronic and print) to the City of La Vergne to market and brand the event.
* Contest is open to the public.
Your design may be submitted no later than Monday, May 16, 2011 and can be turned in at the window when you enter City Hall or mailed to 5093 Murfreesboro Road, La Vergne, TN 37086.
Pretty cool, eh?
Okay, okay, here’s the bad news:
City passes rate increase for water and sewer fees
Ordinance 2011-06 passes second reading on Tuesday, May 3rd.
Following a public hearing on Tuesday evening, the La Vergne Board of Mayor and Aldermen amended an ordinance of the municipal code that increases water and sewer rates. Â The measure was approved during the second reading at the Boardâ€™s regular monthly meeting on May 3, 2011.
Ordinance 2011-06 amends the rates so that water fees will increase 40 percent and sewer fees by 60 percent, effective June 1, 2011.
If a resident previously had a $50 water/sewer bill,
x 40% (.40)
x 60% Â (.60)
50.00 (original bill)
+ 25.00 (fee increase)
= 75.00 (new bill amount)
The new fees will allow the city to pay Nashville Metro for sewer use, which has raised rates to municipalities from $.47 to $1.27 p/100 cubic feet. Â The new fee structure was also designed to offset the increasing costs of operating expenses like gas, chemicals, and man hours, as well as making infrastructure repairs to the water treatment plant, upgrading old water lines, and replacing sewer lines.
So, yeah, that isn’t great news. But it does keep the state from coming in and setting our water rates themselves, God only knows how much our water rates would have gone up if that had happened. And, our water rates have not increased since the 1990s. That is insane. So I try to look at it like, we’ve been getting a bargain all these years, instead of being all irate that I have to pay more.