There’s Good News And Bad News

First, if you want to watch the Board of Mayor and Aldermen meeting that was on the 3rd, it’s on tonight and tomorrow night at 7 PM. That’s not the good news, the good news is this:

It’s time for the La Vergne Library Spring Book Sale! The La Vergne Public Library will be conducting its spring book sale on Saturday, May 7th from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. in the storytime room.

What, you’re not a reader? Then how about this:

With the scope of the former Old Timers Day changing to a three-day festival, we need help with our logo!

The annual La Vergne Old Timers Festival is scheduled September 16-18 and designed to both showcase the talent in the community and to bring fun for residents and visitors!

While we love our old logo, we need a new one that highlights our "New Beginnings" while also celebrating our past history. We are opening a logo and t-shirt / poster design contest to the community and the winner will receive a $200 honorarium fee, as well as five t-shirts showcasing the winning design.

Here are the requirements:

* Logo should contain the words:  "Old Timers’ Festival" and "La Vergne, Tennessee"

* Logo should not contain any date references.

* T-shirt design containing logo may contain a date reference of year (2011) only.

* T-shirt design should be compatible with most fabric colors, particularly "light" colors.

* Logo for contest should be submitted as regular electronic file (.pdf, .jpg, or .tif) by CD and as a hard copy. The artist’s name, address, email, and phone should be included both on the CD cover and the back of the hard copy.

* Final logo must be submitted as a vector file (.ai, .eps).

* Entrants agree to give all publishing rights (electronic and print) to the City of La Vergne to market and brand the event.

* Contest is open to the public.

Your design may be submitted no later than Monday, May 16, 2011 and can be turned in at the window when you enter City Hall or mailed to 5093 Murfreesboro Road, La Vergne, TN 37086.

Pretty cool, eh?

Okay, okay, here’s the bad news:

City passes rate increase for water and sewer fees

Ordinance 2011-06 passes second reading on Tuesday, May 3rd.

Following a public hearing on Tuesday evening, the La Vergne Board of Mayor and Aldermen amended an ordinance of the municipal code that increases water and sewer rates.  The measure was approved during the second reading at the Board’s regular monthly meeting on May 3, 2011.

Ordinance 2011-06 amends the rates so that water fees will increase 40 percent and sewer fees by 60 percent, effective June 1, 2011.

EXAMPLE:
If a resident previously had a $50 water/sewer bill,

Water
25.00
x 40% (.40)
= 10.00

Sewer
25.00
x 60%  (.60)
= 15.00

50.00 (original bill)
+ 25.00 (fee increase)
= 75.00 (new bill amount)

The new fees will allow the city to pay Nashville Metro for sewer use, which has raised rates to municipalities from $.47 to $1.27 p/100 cubic feet.  The new fee structure was also designed to offset the increasing costs of operating expenses like gas, chemicals, and man hours, as well as making infrastructure repairs to the water treatment plant, upgrading old water lines, and replacing sewer lines.

So, yeah, that isn’t great news. But it does keep the state from coming in and setting our water rates themselves, God only knows how much our water rates would have gone up if that had happened. And, our water rates have not increased since the 1990s. That is insane. So I try to look at it like, we’ve been getting a bargain all these years, instead of being all irate that I have to pay more.

22 comments for “There’s Good News And Bad News

1. mary
    May 5, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Again this is BS big time. We already had rates higher than most. I will be glad when I can leave this place. Times are already bad for us and now you stick us with something we have to pay for!!!!!!!!BS BS BS BS

May 5, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Times are bad for everyone, Mary. Including the city. And we do not have rates higher than most, I know we’re cheaper than Murfreesboro and Nashville, even after the rate hike. Let’s try not to be so reactionary.

2. May 5, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Couple things:

a.) Your good news was not as good as your bad news was bad. lol

b.) I’ll be glad when Mary leaves too, because I hate whiners.

c.) How about instead of $200, the logo winner gets their water bill to stay the same? Yes? No? Ok.

May 5, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Not thrilled about the rate increase either, but considering I have to wash clothes and take showers, I guess we have no choice. I’ll pay the rate increase, but that doesn’t mean I have to like it. Sigh. 🙁

May 5, 2011 at 6:43 pm

No, Sherry, you have to like it. Liiiiiike it! Just kidding. I’m not happy about it either. I really wish they had raised rates appropriately before this so we don’t have to have such a big hike now.

• May 6, 2011 at 10:52 am

Oh I definitely don’t like it LOL But I’m sure we can both agree that constantly ranting and complaining about it (and badmouthing the city) doesn’t make things better.

Someone had mentioned rain barrels on the Facebook page. I think this year is the year for our family get one, for sure.

May 6, 2011 at 10:56 am

But it makes ME feel better when I rant and complain (but notice I didn’t badmouth the city). 🙂

• Theresa
        May 6, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Adrianne,

If you locate a source for an inexpensive rain barrel, please email me theresa.hesse @ comcast dot net

Thanks!!!

4. Ivy
    May 6, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Here’s a link that has a bunch about rain barrels and has them for sale as well: http://www.nashville.gov/water/education/rainbarrel.asp

5. May 6, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I read a comment from a guy last week and he said he found a 50 gallon drum in one of our creeks. Well, he was right. My son found a barrel off of hollandale road in the ditch. It works great for collecting water. The city should clean out the creeks and distribute these to the citizens at the old timers festival.

• Tracey Harpe
      May 12, 2011 at 6:55 am

nasty and insects grow overnight in these…….we are not the Beverly Hillbillies..this town is supposed to be SHOWING improvement and beauty…none of which has happened so far

May 10, 2011 at 10:04 pm

So when can we start talking about how our property rates are going to double (from $.50 to $1.00) on July 1st?

May 10, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Whenever you want, Michael. go right ahead.

• Kathy T.
      May 12, 2011 at 8:30 am

It’s not fun AT ALL looking at the budget stuff for the city. However, I will say (and please don’t throw eggs at me) that the increase will include new fire fighters, new police officers, updated equipment (so they can fix the sewer and water lines in order to attract more industry by lowering our ISO rating), and … drumroll … severe weather sirens. The budget for 2011-12 is online at the city web page (can be downloaded as pdf file right on front page).

My house is worth about $200,000 so my house payment will go up about $18 p/month with the new taxes. My water bill is going up about $12 p/month. For us (with a husband whose job was outsourced last August to India), we are just going to have to start using coupons, not flush every time we go to the bathroom (if it’s yellow let it mellow), and change our thermostat to 75 instead of 72. Baby steps here. 🙁

May 12, 2011 at 9:38 am

Am I the only one whose City taxes went DOWN this past year? Not alot, but I still thought it was a bit odd. (Did I check into it and volunteer to make a higher mortgage payment? Heck, no.) Guess that means I’ll be getting a double whammy when my escrow account is way short this year when it comes time to pay taxes.

May 12, 2011 at 9:48 am

Here’s another option to offset the water bill increase: drop your garbage pick-up service and make a trip to LaVergne’s convenience center, a/k/a dump, every week or two as needed. It’s not feasible for us personally because of my husband’s work schedule, but many of my neighbors do it. Garbage companies keep raising their rates to offset the gas prices (and I can’t blame them), so it’s definitely cheaper to do it yourself.

• EARL F WILSON
          May 13, 2011 at 3:00 pm

the dump is nice but how come every sunday there is only one actvie dumpster???????? the smyrna site on weakley lane usually has three or more avtice dumspters

• Sarah N
        May 12, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Kathy, you stole the name of my blog post I was going to write on water conservation! And, dang! You keep your thermostat on 75? I jacked mine up to 78 years ago!

• Kathy T.
          May 12, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Go ahead and use the title anyway! And re: the thermostat… I’m *always* hot. Always. Hot. However, my 77 year old mother-in-law lives with us, too, so in the winter we also keep it warm for her. Now you know why I’ve had a $500 electric-fricking-bill. Ugh!

May 12, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Kathy T wrote “…that the increase will include new fire fighters, new police officers, updated equipment (so they can fix the sewer and water lines in order to attract more industry by lowering our ISO rating), …”

Twothoughts –

1 – I thought the massive increase in water/sewer was to fix the water and sewer lines?

2 – I keep hearing thing thing about how a better ISO rating will bring in more business. But Mt. Juliet has no Fire Department and an ISO rating that I believe is the same or worse then ours, and they have Providence, one of the largest Shoppping Communities in the state. Why them and not us?

I expected and am ok with a property tax increase, but I was tihnking something like 20% and not 100%. At the end of the day, La Vergne needs to think about who are we competing with for homes, jobs, and retail? By and large, I think we are competing with Smyrna. And now we are losing two of our biggest advantages – our water/sewer rates will be higher than theirs, and our prpoerty tax rates will be higher than theirs.

I was telling one of my neighbors the other day, we live right on the Smyrna/La Vergne border, and if our zip code were 37167 our property values would be 10% higher (of course his response, we couldn’t have afforded to buy our homes in the first place if we were 37167!). I’m not trying to sell my home or planning to move anytime soon. But my home is my biggest investment, and if/when the time comes, I want my home and my town to be an attractive place for the next person. How does this help? When I was looking at homes I didn’t ask for a head count of the firefighters; maybe I’m in the minority though!

• EARL F WILSON
      May 13, 2011 at 3:02 pm

we are working on problems now that past administrations would not address, the current board and city leaders are addrsssing things that if done years ago would not be problems now

8. Kathy T.
    May 12, 2011 at 2:52 pm

The fire fighters, police, warning sirens, etc. are being added with a tax increase. The water/sewer fees will pay for improved water lines, sewer lines, etc. I really encourage everyone to take a long hard look at the budget. Come to the next board workshop on June 2nd (5pm) and to the regular meeting where the budget will be voted upon on June 7th (7pm). If you can’t make it to the meeting, please call or email any city official with your questions or concerns. Any board member and the mayor can be reached at 793-6295 or email (initial first name and last name w/ @ lavergnetn.gov on end … like smosley@…). They want to hear from you and are open to your ideas and suggestions to help balance the budget, what you think are priorities, and how to get to where we need to be.