This And That

First, I’d like to thank my fellow contributors for carrying the site while I’ve been gone. I’ve had a lot going on in my personal life and have not been able to keep up. I’d like to offer some alternative places to get the news if I’m not here: The City of LaVergne on Facebook. The City of La Vergne’s webpage (both of these are updated regularly by our pal Kathy). Also, as far as TV news, I think Channel 4 news has the most information on La Vergne. And there’s always the DNJ and even the Murfreesboro Post.

So let’s talk about what’s going on in La Vergne. Yes, it does look like water rates are going up. THERE IS A MEETING TONIGHT. Here’s the info from the City’s website:

La Vergne residents may have to pay more for their water and sewer usage, effective June 1, 2011 if Ordinance 2011-06 passes. The ordinance would amend the rates so that water fees will increase 40 percent and sewer fees by 60 percent.

The increase is largely a pass-along from fees being paid to Nashville Metro for sewer use. Beginning in 2007, Nashville has incrementally increased rates to municipalities from $.47 to $1.27 p/100 cubic feet, but rather than charging residents for these higher rates, the city absorbed the increase.

“Since 2009, La Vergne will have paid more than $4 million from our reserve funds for water and sewage costs – over and above what we have collected,” said City Administrator Steve Mayer. “Because the city has not taken action until now, we have operated negative to our net assets, therefore a meeting and action plan have been requested by the State Comptroller’s Office in July. Our bottom line is La Vergne must now address the problem or allow the state to do it for us.”

The Board of Mayor and Aldermen will discuss the proposed rate increase at the workshop on Thursday, April 28, 2011, beginning at 5:00 p.m. and the measure will be voted on at the regular meeting Tuesday, May 3, 2011 at 7:00 p.m. In addition, the budget for fiscal year 2011-12 will be discussed. A public hearing for these issues will begin at 6:30 p.m. on the day of the regular meeting.

The amount of the rate increase was recommended by an independent study done by the University of Tennessee’s Municipal Technical Advisory Service. This is the second hearing for the measure and if it passes, it will take effect June 1, 2011.

The rate increase will also help pay for water and sewer improvements in La Vergne, including pipe replacement to ensure adequate water-flow for fire and other emergencies.

So, if you want to go, see the above, bolded information.

My thought on the matter is this: it’s got to be done. It should have been done years and years ago. We get prices raised on us every day without anyone consulting us, at least there are public meetings about this. It isn’t great, but that’s life. I just can’t bring myself to get really excited about this one way or the other.

What do you think, La Vergne?

33 comments for “This And That

1. tony vanatta
    April 28, 2011 at 8:14 am

We can not move forward without money coming in if they want us to go and bring in more stuff to lavegne. It just seem like people want but not pay,its like paying a little more is just going to put them in the poor house,

2. Tracey Harpe
    April 28, 2011 at 8:17 am

If the city had collected the monies DUE them from the HOTEL they would NOT have to up the fees as much.

I can’t see the city letting any other homeowner going YEARS without paying a bill.

This is TOO much of an increase at one time.

It should be spread out and given the PEOPLE time to adjust.
    Juts sayin’ this will cause more hardships.

April 28, 2011 at 8:19 am

I was under the impression that the city had finally collected on them and also the illegal rock quarry as well. Does anybody actually know what happened here?

• Tracey Harpe
        April 28, 2011 at 8:21 am

Not that I’ve heard…they have NOT

April 28, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Actually, I talked to someone in the water department today and they said that they had collected the water bill from the Driftwood a long, long time ago. The water bill on the rock quarry, however, is tied up in litigation. So there ya go.

• Tracey Harpe
      April 28, 2011 at 8:20 am

It is NOT a little more it is a 100% increase over all
      40 % + 60 % = 100 total….

April 28, 2011 at 8:27 am

I don’t believe the math works out like that. Let’s use a water bill of $30 (15 for water and 15 for sewer) a month for an example. If it was going up 100%, then the bill would be 30 x 30, or $60.

However, water is going up 40%, so 15 x .4= 6, so 15 + 6 = 21. Sewer is going up 60% so 15 x .6 = 9, so 15 + 9 = 24. 24 + 21 = 45. So it appears the bill would be going up overall by about half.

It’s still quite a bit, but at least it is less than you’re fearing. And check my math, I’m an English and History person so it could be wrong.

• April 28, 2011 at 8:59 am

Ivy, your math is correct 🙂
          I understand that this has to be done. I just feel like it should be done in increments.

April 28, 2011 at 9:23 am

I wish it could be. I asked the same question about whether we could raise this over time and from what I understand, the city is so far in the hole with this, it’s just not possible. It’s too bad there’s no way to smack the previous administration for this. :/

And yay for doing math correctly for once! Hee!

• Tracey Harpe
            April 28, 2011 at 10:12 am

Glad you explained that math and broke it down Ivy now people can see that they are still getting the shaft all at once, and how
            Thanks for setting that clear. 🙂

• chris farmer
            April 28, 2011 at 12:10 pm

I too wish we could have gone up in increments, but we are under the gun by the state to fix the problem now. If we do not have this fixed by August the state can come in and raise the prices to whatever they feel it needs to be. I personally would rather that not happen. Some people may want the state to take over. The city has been operating in the negative for more thatn 2 years on the water and sewer. The state says you can not operate in the negative for over 2 years consecutive. So I guess we are lucky they have not came in already because we are going on the 3rd year of this. With the water and sewer study we have had done, this is what was recommended to do. It would be much easier on me to let the state do this than to be the bad guy telling you that your bills are going up, but that is not what I was elected to do. I hate that this is causing hardship on anyone but if we are going to continue to be a city we have no other choice than to fix the problems that have been avoided for years.

3. mark
    April 28, 2011 at 8:17 am

they are going to have to raise the rates or the state when they come in , in July will take over the water dept and raise it themselfs. so either way the rates are going up.

4. Jennifer
    April 28, 2011 at 8:19 am

It’s a double edge sword. Right now is one of the worst times to raise rates; with the price of gas at a all time high and lack of wage increases to accompany. I ask myself what if the residents just don’t have it to give?

I myself am struggling to keep my head above water. With one income and four people to provide for what am I to do. I see your point Lavergne has tried to carry the burden themselves but it has proven to be to great and I commend them for that but it doesn’t help me today not now.

There is no easy solution to the problem. So I guess as a family we will cut back on our water consumption and hope that offsets the increase.

April 28, 2011 at 8:29 am

I’m with you, Jennifer. I was laid off from my job not too long ago and we were already struggling financially. I, too, will be working to limit my consumption. (Not just on water, either. Electric, gasoline, etc.) Having no money sucks. :/

5. Connie Golden
    April 28, 2011 at 8:19 am

If they are going to increase the rate then they better get rid of the smell. For ar years now it has left an odor on dish towels and anything else that gets wet and is left to dry.

6. Mary Matthews
    April 28, 2011 at 9:01 am

As a few have said this increase is too much at one time and my rates in Lavergne have always been higher than when I lived in Nashville. I think we should search for some wells on our property and then see who will struggle. This is BS

7. mark
    April 28, 2011 at 9:20 am

for those that are complaining remember those in office before Senna got voted in. this was all their fault from yrs ago. when metro raised rates then the city should have done the same thing. The city cant afford to pay your increases. Like is like asking the city to pay your mortgage payment. its time to get the city back in the green and to have a reserve so they can fix the old pipes and build a newer water inferstucter.

• Linda Tomlin
      April 28, 2011 at 6:34 pm

I haven’t seen anybody blame the new mayor for this, and as far as complaining as citizens of La Vergne we have the right to voice our concerns on things that are going to hit our pockets and just as you say the city can’t pay our increases, we the citizens also can’t continue to pay increases on everyday items needed just to survive, so forgive us for using the right to complain (that’s about all we have left that doesn’t hit us in our pockets)

April 28, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I dunno, I was gonna start charging to comment here. (JUST KIDDING!) 😉

• Linda Tomlin
          April 28, 2011 at 8:59 pm

That will be ok too, if I get a cut of it for all the thumbs down I can collect!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks like I might even could get a thumbs down for saying I’m glad the sun is shinning today!!!!!

April 28, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Haha! Now that would be an awesome plan. 😀

8. Sarah N
    April 28, 2011 at 9:29 am

I wrote an entry here on saving electricity a couple weeks back which included a couple of items that also save water. Maybe it’s time to do something more in-depth! Also, I’ve been thinking about making a rain barrel to use in my yard. If I do I’ll take pictures and write a piece on it.

April 28, 2011 at 9:39 am

That is an excellent idea, Sarah! I think you can get rain barrels from the city of Nashville pretty cheaply. I’m pretty sure I read that somewhere…you might google it.

• Sarah N
        April 28, 2011 at 9:52 am

Thanks Ivy, I’ll look in to that! I got my composter from them some years ago, but I didn’t know you could get rain barrels from them too. I had been thinking of getting a barrel from the car wash at the dealership I used to work at and modifying it. They have some that only hold de-ionized water.

• Katie Kline
      April 28, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I have directions on how you can make a rain barrel pretty cheap. I had the one I made for my house at the City’s earthday event last week and I plan to have it at the Old Timer’s Festival. If you would like any infomation on rain barrels please email me, KKline@LaVergneTN.gov

9. Linda Tomlin
    April 28, 2011 at 9:37 am

Does this have anything to do with all the business La Vergne has lost and no longer can collect money from them, I just don’t understand what anybody thinks people are going to do, no jobs, gas prices up, food prices up and now all the utility companies want to jack up their prices. How about working to get jobs back in this area first or start building housing for those of us that are going to end up homeless. Maybe we can start a tent city out by the lake and start living like people did years and years ago, the only difference people don’t care about other people. What a sad world we are living in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Linda Tomlin
    April 28, 2011 at 2:53 pm

I have noticed on the comments that anyone that has any negative statement have the little thumbs down signs and I can only imagine who is giving the thumbs down. So for all the thumbs down people if you have the answers to how people with no jobs, no income coming in at all and the prices of everything else going up, people on fixed incomes already, are suppose to be happy about being hit with increases on things that we need just to survive please inform us so that we can gain a little hope for our lives or I guess you can just continue to hit the little thumbs down sign!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 28, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Aww, I know how you feel, Linda, people “thumbs down” my comments all the time. As the administrator, I can’t give “thumbs” to anyone, either up or down so I can’t even retaliate!

As far as the water thing, I don’t guess anyone expects folks to be happy about it, nobody is ever happy about price increases! But I guess the thing to me is, the city has been paying Nashville more than we pay for the sewage for a very long time now. So the way I am trying to look at it is, at least we’ve been getting a discount on it for awhile. It still sucks though, I know how you feel, I’m jobless right now, too.

• Linda Tomlin
        April 28, 2011 at 6:17 pm

If your math in one of the comments above is the way it will be done is one thing, the Channel 4 news stated last night that a $30 bill would cost us a $120 a month if this was passed, so where did the news come up with this figure? And part of my comment I left off was that if I have a comment to make on a subject, if a person doesn’t agree take the time to discuss it, don’t take the coward way out on the little thumbs down button. Have some guts and voice your views!!!!

April 28, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I have no idea where they would get that figure. If a $30 bill would end up costing $120, that would be something like an overall 400% increase. Maybe channel 4 news is worse at math than I am, I don’t know.

11. Elizabeth
    April 28, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I don’t like the increase in water & sewer rates either but if the previous administration & board would have done something about the delinquent accounts in the water department, we might not have such an increase or maybe just a “little” increase…it seems the whole city structure was suffering while they were in office and with certain people in certain positions at city hall….now that they have been let go, the new administration will clean up the mess…I wish them all good luck and I’ll do my part by paying my water bill on time no matter how much it is…btw, I’m on a fixed income too….

12. Robotiod
    April 28, 2011 at 8:17 pm

This is quite a hit at one time.The situation was inherited from previous city leaders?!?
    I am wondering what our current leaders are doing to add some commercial revenue to Lavergne’s pocket.Murfressboro road in Lavergne with its nice traffic count is just the thing for sit down restaurants and retail.

13. Baldguyz
    April 29, 2011 at 5:49 am

I got my rain barrel out of one of the creeks in lavergne. It’s called a 50 gallon drum. I found two of them in hurricane creek. It smelled like battery acid for two months but finally went away.