Several Positions Open

The City has several positions now open for anyone interested – both volunteer and employment.   For jobs, here’s what is available:

Circulation Super Assist Director (Posted 4/15/2011 until 04/29/2011)

Recreation Intern 2011 (Seasonal) (Posted 4/21/2011 until 04/28/2011)

StormWater Laborer 2011 (Posted 4/25/2011 until 05/09/2011)

Summer Program Assist 2011 (Seasonal) (Posted 4/21/2011 until 04/28/2011)

Water Laborer 2011 (Posted 4/21/2011 until 05/05/2011)

If you are a high school graduate going to college, need some extra cash, and bored through the summer – and if you like kids – the Summer Program Assistant job would be great.  Parks & Recreation is looking for eight or nine seasonal workers to help with the summer camp.

If you’ve always wanted to volunteer with the city – like on a Board or Committee – there are a few openings coming up here as well.

Library Board – 1 vacant position

Senior Citizens Advisory Committee – 4 member positions due to expire at the end of April

Parks & Recreation Advisory Committee – 2 member positions due to expire at the end of May

Greenway Advisory Committee – 2 member positions due to expire at the end of May

That’s it from me… but check out the City web page’s announcement section for more major news. Ivy is writing about it.

19 comments for “Several Positions Open

April 26, 2011 at 11:23 pm

I’m a little surprised/disappointed at the lack of news from “La Vergne’s only dedicated news source.” For example, I had to go to another website to read about the potential water/sewer rate increase. That’s big news!

On the water/sewer issue, so a quick look at my last bill shows I spent $11 for water, $13.55 for sewer, $3.50 for stormwater, and $1.07 in taxes. So if the increase passes I will be paying $15.40 for water, $21.68 for sewer, $3.50 for stormwater, and $1.07(?) for tax.

So my bill will go from $29.12 to $41.65. That is mangeable for me in terms of dollars and cents, but it will kill me for watering the lawn this summer. Plus, I don’t understand why the water portion is going up. I understand the sewer with Metro (and will Smyrna not take our poo?), but why the increase on water?

I would also add on the sewer front, if they do jack up our rates, I would hope they will start providing a sewer credit in the warm months (similar to metro) so those of us who water our plants don’t have to pay sewage rates on water that is not going in the sewer.

• Cricket123
      April 26, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Michael,

If I’m not mistaken, you are an author on this web site, too… You could add news or musings if you choose…

Cricket123

• Cricket123
        April 27, 2011 at 12:02 am

Okay, my bad! You used to be an author/contributor…

Oops!!!!

• michaelinLV
          April 27, 2011 at 1:08 pm

No problem! Yes I stopped being an author several years ago.

April 28, 2011 at 6:41 am

I apologize Michael. I have had a lot going on in my personal life that I need to deal with.

2. blah blah
    April 26, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Michael, My guess would be that it costs more to treat the water. According to the municipal code I just looked at, the rates haven’t been increased in almost 14 years, while inflation has never stopped. Rates should have probably been raised years ago, but due to the mismanagement by the former administration, they kept putting it off and now we are going to have to pay for a large increase instead of spreading it out over a few smaller increases.

3. chris farmer
    April 27, 2011 at 10:31 am

Michael, the reason the water increase is there is due to capital improvements. We have water line issues that have not been addressed since the lines were put in the ground. We also have repairs that need to be made to the water treatment facility. The last reason that I can personally give for a reason is that previous administration contracted our water treatment out to a contracted company (Severn and Trent) this is a substantial fee to pay to have our water treated to make it drinkable. I have brought it up a couple of times already that I feel we could hire our own employees and run our treatment plant cheaper than hiring it out. The problem is we are stuck in what appears to be an iron-clad contract that we can not get out of until next February. I can assure you I am working hard to find a way out of the contract or not re-sign it and take our facility back in February. On the sewer rates I do not believe we have the luxury of adjusting for watering your garden in the summer. Nashville treats their own “poo” so they can adjust the way they want. I do not like having to pay for every drop of water I use going down the drain because I do not put it all back into the drain. If anyone has any ideas on how to make this adjustment work and then I would definitely listen. As far as the “poo” going to Smyrna we are talking to them about that happening in the future. At this time they are at capacity of what they can take in. They are planning on building on to the facility in the future so maybe we will be able to work out something with them. Unfortunately we as new board members have to answer for the past mistakes that were dropped in our laps. We hate having to deal with these but we can no longer ignore things hoping they will go away because they will not. I hope this helps to understand why the increases are there. Thank You Chris Farmer

• michaelinLV
      April 27, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Thank you for the response Chris. I appreciate you coming on here to address actions that the board is discussing.

– Question: what does the city charge to add a new water meter? Is it not something high like $2,000? The reason I ask is that I was under the impresssion tap fees were set high so that meter money would be set aside to cover future capital improvements. If that money wasn’t set aside, I’m not surprised. just curious.

– So La Vergne’s contract with metro is written where they bill us based on the water we use, not based ont he sewage they treat? If I’m correct, we don’t get our water from MEtro do we? If so, I don’t understand why they would bill the city based on water. Is there no way of metering (?) sewage?

– How will our new water/sewer rates match up with other municipalities? Has anyone done a study on this? Again, if our rates were ridiculously low and will now be on par with other local cities like Smyrna, Mt. Juliet, Franklin, etc., that’s worth knowing.

– I understand where you’re coming from on having to deal with the failings of previous aldermen, but in fairness I hope you knew this was going to be a tough job when you took it. There’s an old saying, don’t tell me about the labor pains, just show me the baby. Unfortunately, I think we’re still in labor right now!

• chris farmer
        April 29, 2011 at 8:17 am

Michael here are the fees for the meters I was wrong on the prices i had been misquoted years ago when I asked so I wanted to clarify the pricing.

The tap fee for an irrigation meter is

$500 for water tap

$ 25 for inspection fee

$34.65 for meter

total for tap $559.65

For new contractors for new houses it is

$500.00 for water tap

$1850.00 for sewer tap

$25.00 inspection fee for water

$25.00 inspection fee for sewer

$34.65 for meter

In some cases and I don’t know how Codes figures this there is a sewer assessment fee.

Total $2,435.65

4. chris farmer
    April 27, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Michael I will answer as many as I can. Some I may have to check on. First Tap Fees I am not sure about. I do know that if you wanted a second meter ie; watering meter, it is ridiculously high such as $2000 sounds correct or that is what I was told when I tried to get one.

The Metro contract is based on a metered amount to my understanding there are 4 or maybe 6 meters that meter the sewage. Problem is we have tons of infiltration into the old sewage lines from ground water and stormwater. Our new Public Works Director is working with the sewer department and engineers on ways to stop this. They have sent the camera truck to be repaired so they can find where there is infiltration into the sewage system and address the problems. Now as far as adjusting for citizens watering their yard I do not know how the city could regulate that at this time. It is something I will bring up as an idea.

Now on the rates matching up. Yes we have had a rate study done for free from MTASC since we have been elected. That is how we came up with the new rates. We can not compare to Smyrna on sewage rates they have their own waste water plant. There are other cities in the same boat we are in with the price of sewage, the only difference is they have adjusted accordingly over the years as Metro has went up, our city did not. The research I have done indicates that at some point many years ago you had the option to build sewer treatment plants, we as a city did not build one. Now TDEC will not allow any new facilities.

Last I knew this was going to be a tough ride. I can say it is tougher than I imagined but I will do what I feel is right in my heart for the citizens over the 4 year term I was elected for. Also I do not want to point any fingers at any past Alderman or Mayors. I want to move forward and show the citizens some progress be it little or big I want you to be able to see the progress this time next year. Maybe this helps. I know you will have more questions and I will answer them as best and quick as I can.

• snowmanhow
      April 28, 2011 at 9:59 am

Chris – thanks for your comments and hard work! I would think the city could analyze the historical water usage vs sewage usage for the past several years and identify the months when watering is occurring and adjust the sewage billing accordingly. – Although if the water infiltration into the sewer is severe, maybe it is wiping out all of the difference in the summer months.

Do we have combination storm sewer/sanitary sewer in some parts of town like Metro does in some areas?

• Katie
        April 28, 2011 at 4:00 pm

No, the city does not have a combined sewer system. We operate a Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4). The water that does into storm drains is discharged to creeks, streams and eventually to the lake without any treatment.

5. April 27, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Do a little research and you will find that lavergne used to have a wastewater treatment plant and it was located on willowview street . For some unknown reason, the plant was abolished.

6. chris farmer
    April 28, 2011 at 10:15 am

I checked the place you are referring to on Willowview was a pump station. There is still a pump station just smaller. People used septic systems prior to being on Metro sewer. Then when they did go to Metro people had yo have grinder pumps in certain areas. So as far back as I can get information there has never been a sewer treatment facility. There was once an option to build one but the city elected to build a water treatment plant instead. If there were an option now I am not sure we would have anywhere to build it because there would be no where to discharge without it going into the lake.

• chris farmer
      May 2, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I stand corrected I got the information from our city recorder that there was never a treatment facility. After further investigation we found that there was one there in the 70’s it was just for that subdivision. Whenever the city entered into the agreement with Metro this had to be phased out is the way we read it. But there was one there. Apparently this is common practice to have these facilities out in the rural county areas still. I am not familiar with any myself.

7. not harrybalz guy
    April 28, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Yes there was a sewer treatment facility on Willowview years ago. There was an above-ground tank for treatment and an accessory building that housed the so-called lab and supply’s. The plant was ordered shut down by the State for bypassing without treatment of sewage. I happen to know the person who operated the plant at the time that it was shut down. The mayor at that time had the same last name as one of our current alderman, it is the same name as the interstate exit. Sometime after that the State or Corps of Engineers decided that no more permits would be issued for treatment facilities that discharged into Priest. We are stuck with metro and their rate increases.

8. May 2, 2011 at 4:05 am

Once again, Farmer opened his mouth before finding all the facts. I have pictures of the wastewater treatment facility located on Willowview street back in the 1970’s. Please oh mighty one, ask someone besides your pal the mayor and her husband before you state your facts.

• chris farmer
      May 2, 2011 at 8:30 pm

For the record I asked the city recorder who has been working at the city for over 20 years and several other employees who have been here for many years. He did go back and we found where you were right as I addressed earlier. So there ya go I admit I was wrong. I have not lived my whole life in the city so I do not have every answer. All I can do is ask people who have been here for years and trust their answers. I would like to know when I have opened my mouth that I did not research the facts to the best of my ability. When I am wrong I admit it.

9. May 3, 2011 at 8:22 am

Chris, don’t dignify him with an answer anymore. He’s an ass.