Open Thread Friday: Warm Weather Edition

Man, the weather is NICE. This is why I love Tennessee.

Here’s an email I got yesterday:

PLEASE help me find a home for this Cocker, If I can’t find a home he will be put to sleep on March 22. All he needs is grooming, He’s 2 years old, Pure bred, I really don’t want to see this dog put down. this dog is very friendly, just look at the pics. Somebody PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASE adopt him.

There is NO PULL FEE and I can help with limited transporting and fostering. Also if you would like them vetted before leaving I can help with that as well. Thank you so much, Rachel rreese1985@yahoo.com

He’s apparently a purebred cocker spaniel. I asked for pictures but I didn’t get any, try emailing the person above if you’re interested.

Edit: Here are pictures!

Clearly this dog is into punk rock.

So, it’s open thread time. What do you want to talk about, LaV? Here’s a potential topic. Next week is spring break for Rutherford County schools. I’m excited, my kids are excited. I’d hate to be a teacher today though, I hear the last day before any kind of break like this is a nightmare, kids are wild. What will you do for spring break? My family is just going to chill at the house, we don’t have any major plans.

Talk it up, LaV!

16 comments for “Open Thread Friday: Warm Weather Edition

1. March 18, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Yesterday’s school board meeting was on TV today. Did anyone else watch it? I cried. The REA (Rutherford county teacher’s union) president said some heartfelt, emotional things. I took notes if anyone would like to know some of what he said.

We don’t have anything planned for next week either. The weather looks to be gorgeous though.

March 18, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I read about it. It’s shameful how teachers are being treated nowadays, and from all sides.

• March 18, 2011 at 9:29 pm

SO shameful. Whether you’re pro-union or anti-union, teachers should not be treated this way! How does this help our children? How? I’ll try not to go off on a tangent, but it just has to stop.

• steve noe
          March 19, 2011 at 2:29 am

I think that teachers are over worked and under paid for what we as parents expect from them, there are a few exceptions but that is with any job. I am PRO UNION and I hope they will achieve some demands while there fighting. We send OUR CHILDREN to these strangers for 7 or 8 hrs. a day, we let these strangers coach them and teach them how to be smarter than we are hopefully but yet we question there ways. DON’T MAKE NO SENSE

• blah blah
            March 19, 2011 at 6:02 pm

I am generally anti-union, but I will say that some unions do have their place and purpose. That being said, some unions do more harm than good.

One of the big problems with our schools is that once a teacher is tenured, they cannot be fired if they are doing a bad job. If I do a bad job at work, I would get fired. If my husband does a bad job at work, he would get fired. I’m sure it’s the same for you.

We need GOOD teachers. We have GOOD teachers, but we need to get rid of the BAD teachers. ALL teachers need to be held accountable for how well they teach our kids. If they are not able to teach our kids effectively, then the teachers need to be fired.

I don’t see how extending the tenure status from 3 to 5 years hurts anyone. What is the difference? Teachers want that protection of being tenured. That way, no matter how bad a job they might do, they can’t be touched.

Watch the movie Waiting for “Superman”. It will open your eyes to how bad the public school systems are all across this country.

Again, we have some good teachers. There are some great teachers here in Lavergne at all levels. My comments are not an attack on any teachers. Please don’t interpret it that way.

2. Thomas
    March 18, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Has anyone tried the mexican restaurant next to The Noodle House? It is open one day and closed the next and i’ve never seen any cars there.

March 18, 2011 at 9:02 pm

I tried it back in the summer, it had the best nacho chips I have ever eaten. But it closed not too long after that, I was a bit sad.

March 19, 2011 at 12:07 am

I’m letting my LHS senior go down to Panama City Beach with five other seniors (and no parents). What the heck was I thinking when I agreed to this?! I must have been temporarily insane. (At least that’s the excuse I plan on using.) ūüôĀ

• March 19, 2011 at 2:22 am

Awww. I’m sure they’ll be fine. And they’ll remember it forever!

(I say this now. Mine are still young lol)

• Elizabeth
      March 20, 2011 at 12:00 am

they have to grow up sometime but letting go is very hard…hope they have a great safe trip and lots of fun…good luck seniors…

4. Ivy
    March 19, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Blah Blah, I can’t reply directly to your comment, so I’m putting it here. Tenure does not make it impossible to fire a bad teacher. It simply gives teachers a right to due process if they are let go. I have seen bad teachers who did have tenure be fired. And I think three years is plenty of time for a principal to decide whether or not a teacher deserves tenure.

I’m not a big fan of unions myself, but I think the NEA/REA are a good thing.

• March 20, 2011 at 6:28 pm

(I can’t reply either so I will here)

Waiting for Superman was hugely flawed. I have a link for you to read, but point some things out.

-Finland’s school system was highly praised in that documentary, but the fact that the are completely unionized was conveniently left out.

-They claimed that throwing money at schools wouldn’t help them, but failed to mention that the Harlem man, Geoffrey Canada, is a millionaire and has been throwing money into those schools. (not to mention when a group of his students didn’t make the appropriate test scores, he KICKED THEM OUT of his school)

-Charter schools are not necessarily better than public schools; 17% are better, 37% were worse, and 46% percent of them made no academic difference.

I could go on and on, but please read this article. It will blow your mind.

5. Cricket123
    March 20, 2011 at 7:31 am

With regards to the beautiful dog, my suggestion is to call Animal Care in M’boro… (615) 896-4343. They might be able to help find him a home. He is so handsome and I wish I could adopt him, but sadly, I can not.

6. Cee Dee
    March 21, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I emailed about the dog last week, but have not had a reply. Hope he has a good home.

• Elizabeth
      March 22, 2011 at 5:55 pm

I sent this info on the cocker spaniel to my niece in Ohio as she already has a cocker spaniel but would take him in too if needed) and she emailed them and got an answer yesterday that the dog DID find a home…so glad to hear that

• Cee Dee
        March 22, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Good — I didn’t really need him — just wanted to save him!