Personal Aside: I’m A Consumer

I’ve been blogging for, like, forever, it seems. About a year and a half ago, things changed and I went from being a content producer to being a content consumer. Now I’ve taken over this blog and I’m back to being a content producer. Still, sometimes I go back to my old ways. This morning I went and made the rounds of the places I like to read and then I came here, looking to see what someone else had written. Except, it’s me that needed to write. Ha.

I’m trying to write here daily to make this website interesting. The only thing is, it’s not every day La Vergne has interesting news to report. That’s why there’s a bunch of other, random stuff here. So now I must ask you: what would you like to see here? What would you like from me? What can I do to get you guys talking? Discuss.

17 comments for “Personal Aside: I’m A Consumer

1. mark
    March 16, 2011 at 4:48 pm

what might be cool is police reports since they are not reported in the local newspaper. The counties most wanted which is posted in the paper. resturant reviews, reviews on local businesses. more when I can think of it!

• Elizabeth
      March 17, 2011 at 1:38 am

agree with Mark….police reports, counties most wanted….

2. March 16, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Weather forecasts! Oh wait wrong blog..:)(I might get sucked in to doing them) I agree with Mark. In addition profiles or spotlights on community figures. Maybe even interviews. Maybe see if someone would step up and be a local sports reporter covering the schools. You have a newspaper format maybe go with stuff that would be found in one. Just a thought.

3. Chip
    March 16, 2011 at 10:01 pm

I like to agree with Mark, I’d love to see police reports and kinda know what was going on in our neighborhoods.

4. Cricket123
    March 17, 2011 at 12:59 am

I would love to see those as well!

March 17, 2011 at 4:44 am

We’re all in agreement on the police reports. I hear rumors of various crimes in LaVergne all the time, but unless it’s something pretty big, the DNJ and TV stations won’t cover it.

6. mark
    March 17, 2011 at 2:38 pm

seems to me that everyone likes the one idea of mine…..Come on Ivy publish the reports………lol….

7. Ivy
    March 17, 2011 at 3:53 pm

It appears I can get some general numbers, but as far as getting individual reports, I think I would have to pay to get them. I’m looking into it.

• Elizabeth
      March 18, 2011 at 2:45 am

don’t you have some connections at city hall….does anyone there owe you a favor…now would be the time to collect it…just saying…

March 18, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Haha, I’m pretty sure everyone I know at City Hall, I owe them favors. 😀

8. March 18, 2011 at 7:07 pm

I’m the black sheep but I don’t like the police reports thing one bit. I think if someone were to find this blog with the interest of moving here and had easy access to police reports it would be off putting. TiLV should represent the best this town has to offer. We have crime here, sure. But do we have enough crime to showcase it on the city’s blog? No, I don’t think we do and I don’t think crimes should be given a platform. Just my opinion

March 18, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Adrienne, this is an excellent point!

March 19, 2011 at 12:23 am

Adrianne, I do see your point. Is there maybe another source where we could view the reports? Our neighborhood was subject to several vehicle break-ins and some vandalism last year (nothing really major and it may have just been a bunch of kids), but it would have been nice to have some actual details instead of relying on neighborhood gossip. Just my opinion. 🙂

• Mark Johnson
      March 24, 2011 at 12:26 am

I kind of agree with Adrianne, but I also kind of agree with everyone else. It would be nice if there was some middle ground.

Perhaps if Ivy could get and post the daily report “blog report” that dispatch creates for the DNJ and other news organizations. (This would be a start.) Additionally, perhaps the new Mayor would consider requiring the Chief to bring back the online Police Report service. The service was in place by Chief Lindsay to help provide better transparency along with easier access for the public to Police Reports. The online report system allowed you to pay a minimal processing fee for the reports, etc. that you as a consumer wanted without simply posting all of them online for everyone to see. The system went away once Chief Boyd took over. As I was told at the time he did not fell that this service was necessary.

9. March 18, 2011 at 10:32 pm

And because I don’t want to tell you what I wouldn’t want without telling what I would, I like the “We are La Vergne” feature and would like to start it back up. Local business owners, volunteers, school officials, etc. I think it would make this “big” city seem a little smaller.

Perhaps a local or small business spotlight? I’ve noticed on Channel 3 that La Vergne would like to keep a lot of their business in the city. So why not give some of those businesses some free advertising and get locals to spend their money in La Vergne.

Also, how much advertising do you do for the blog? How do people know about it? How much does a billboard cost? lol I think the more people we get on this site (it’s easy enough to put it in an rss reader-common practice these days), the more people will be interested in their city and be involved. I’ll be totally honest. I knew much less about this city until I found this place.

Just my two cents. 😉

• Kathy T.
      March 18, 2011 at 11:41 pm

I would love to see more of the “We Are LaV” features… I’d run out of time. I will be happy to suggest people to talk with if someone wants to write them! I’ve met some pretty amazing, interesting individuals since I started working at the city.

10. Carrie
    March 29, 2011 at 3:19 pm

It might helpful (which maybe you already do this, but I may not be aware) would be if any of our local business owners are running specials or sales on their products and services, I’d love to know. We try to shop/eat close to home when we can, but are also looking for bargains and good service. Knowing who has a good deal will point us in the right direction.