I Admit… I Am Impressed

I have finished three weeks on the new job with the city.  What an interesting three weeks it has been!

• I’ve received inquiries from the city web page where people fuss because no one has answered them… but they’ve left no name, email, or phone number for us to reply.
  • Working with our IT guys to freshen up the city web page (more amazing to come).
  • Started an official city facebook page… not a lot on it yet, but here it is (we’ll get there!).
  • Planning to set up an official Twitter page for you twitterers out there for the city (getting there).

I’ve gone to the scene of emergencies a couple of times and have to say … what an IMPRESSIVE group of people our police force and fire fighters are.  I mean… jaw dropping impressive.  We were in a residential neighborhood Saturday and there was a happy ending (no one was hurt) because the officers knew what they were doing and did their jobs.

Here’s a photo from the day… I’ve blurred the faces of our SWAT team / police because I don’t want to just go “HEY! LOOK AT THEM!” without their okay.

After watching these emergency responders in action, my own feeling of safety and being in good hands has multiplied exponentially.

There are so many facets of the public relations director job – economic development, working with the media, promoting the library and programs at parks and rec, and more – I am constantly busy.  There are some really great things on the horizon for La Vergne (I promise), but this administration is also having to address the here and now, dealing with the fallout from past decisions.

So to my friends… I just want to say watch for lots of good stuff.  Some exciting (to me) items will be discussed at Thursday’s workshop (starts at 5:00 p.m.).   Then the proposals will be voted on at the actual Board meeting on Tuesday, March 1st (7:00 p.m.).  Please come to the meetings because you’ll definitely want to be part of the awesome.  Also remain active in our community.  Go to the library programs.  Support Parks & Rec.  We’ll be looking for volunteers soon for our Oldtimers Day festival.  (We are going to need LOTS of volunteers).

I have my business cards now so if you see me at the meeting or around town, grab one. Call with any questions. Or email.  Or comment.  The door is open at city hall for everyone.  Come by and say hello!

12 comments for “I Admit… I Am Impressed

1. mark
    February 20, 2011 at 11:43 am

Kathy please call me about Old Timers festival sometime this week.

February 20, 2011 at 11:59 am

So what's up with the home page? Are the authors and archives supposed to be at the very top, or is my computer just being weird today?

3. February 20, 2011 at 12:03 pm

It's your computer. Actually I did go and mess with it a little today, but they're showing okay on my computer. I'll see how it looks on Internet Explore. BRB…

4. February 20, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Okay…. is that better?

February 20, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Looks fine now . . . thanks. My computer acts possessed every once in awhile and I never know if the problem is on my end or not. Enjoy the rest of your (hopefully calm) weekend!

5. Gail Rogers
    February 20, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Are the citizens aware 12-15 goats are in an R-1 zoned subdivision on Sanders Drive? They are being slaughtered right there in the back yard, then skinned. The ordor is already attacking the neighbors and it's not all that warm. Just wait until
    it's 70 + degrees, and more neighbors will be aware of it.. That might be you!!!

The Vice-Mayor has been working on the situation, but there seems to be no law to prevent it. But how can you use an R–1 lot for Agricultural purposes?

Watch out, La Vergne residents, your property may be the next to loose value because of a situation like this. Somebody please find a way to remedy
    this horrible situation immediately. There is a language barrier with myself and the owner of the goats.

• Elizabeth
      February 21, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Gail, exactly where on Sanders Dr is this happening? I go that way almost every day…

6. chris farmer
    February 20, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Gail I would love to take the credit for this one but it is not the Vice-Mayor who has been working on this one. It is Alderman Broeker who has taken the lead on this situation. I agree there is a problem there but he started handling the situation first so I have stepped back on this one. He has been meeting with several people to resolve the problem you are having. I have faith he will come to a good resolution to this. If not we will surely as a Board be able to handle it together. I have not done much on the situation because I did not know exactly what he had done so far.

• Gail Rogers
      February 21, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I'm sorry, Mr. Farmer, regarding mix-up of Vice- Mayor. I truely thought Mr. Broeker was Vice-Mayor. He has been kind enough to be in touch with me several times as he's researched this matter. It has been over a month now since I wrote the mayor, vice-mayor, and all the aldermen, and now I'm advised I need to be the one to take legal action. I still don't understand how you can use R-1 property for Agricultural purposes, and why Codes
      cannot enforce R-1 zoning.

7. Kevin
    February 20, 2011 at 7:10 pm

People are always complaining to others about their neighbors except to the neighbor causing the problems. Talk to your neighbor and he just might give you some goat meat. I have seen twelve dogs on one lot and one pig in lake forrest and nobody seems to care as long as it does not affect them.

• Gail Rogers
      February 21, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Kevin, thank you for your reply. However, I did introduce myself to the owner of the goats over a month ago, and when I asked his name, he told me I didn't need to know his name. Nice neighbor! The City is very much aware of this problem,, as well as similar ones in the city, and they are working to correct these problems.

8. steve noe
    February 21, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Where these Goats at? I like to have one to put in my yard on a rope so I never have to mow again.