Give Your Kid an Extra Hug Today

Unless you were cut off from all online, televised, and print media yesterday and today, you’ve heard about the shocking, sad, upsetting, disheartening story of one of our LHS students thoughts to hire someone to kill is parents.  Here are some links if you missed it.

DNJ – Alleged murder plot shakes La Vergne

WSMV – La Vergne Teens Arrested in Plot to Kill Parents

This one hit really close to home.  My daughter has been friends with this kid since elementary school.  She said everyone at school yesterday was upset – as expected.  We talked for hours last night about all the kids involved (yes all the students know all the kids arrested even though the names have not been released).

Today, this weekend … take some extra time with your kids to talk about what’s on their minds.  I don’t care if they’re elementary school aged or all he way into their early adult years, give them an extra hug.  Make sure they know you care.  Even if they don’t like being grounded or your boring lectures, make sure they understand it’s because you love them and you always will.

And pray for these students and their families.

9 comments for “Give Your Kid an Extra Hug Today

1. LV2LV
    February 18, 2011 at 7:20 am

Thank you Kathy, I couldnt have said it better myself!!! A lot of lives have been affectedy by this very tragic event.

2. L
    February 18, 2011 at 7:22 am

Sad!!

3. Adrianne Foreman
    February 18, 2011 at 7:34 am

The whole thing just breaks my heart. And I hadn't even thought about the other kids in school until now.

4. Adam
    February 18, 2011 at 8:02 am

I live in the neighborhood where this happened. We moved in about a year ago and hadn't met this family.

Is there anything we can do?

• Jason
      February 18, 2011 at 9:07 am

Adam, I live in the neighborhood as well, been there for 5 years. I wonder if calling and requesting additional police patrols might help (can't remember last time I've seen a patrol through the neighborhood though it used to be quite common). Perhaps a neighborhood watch? I was shocked to realize it was our neighborhood, I haven't seen anything to suggest we might have an issue — now I wonder if this was an isolated occurrence or if I'm just unaware of a pattern. Nerve-wracking considering I have a wife and child at home during the day.

• MichaelinLV
        February 18, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Jason and Adam,

I live across the street from LHS in Cedar Grove. For all the problems associated with living near a high school, I wouldn't pin this problem on that. I have a wife and two kids home during the day as well so I worry about things like this too (Although my wife is a better shot than me, so she tells me I worry too much!).

From what I understand this family was just your typically middle class family who happen to live in your neighborhood. These kids weren't targeting your area, they were targeting this family so where their home happens to be is irrelevant. People move to Williamson County because it's safer, but even a crime like this could truly occur anywhere.

We started a neighborhood watch several years ago. We did have increased patrols for awhile, but I'm with you guys – can't tell you the last time I saw a patrol in our neighborhood. But in this situation a patrol wasn't the issue. This family was targeted specifically, and sadly, by their own son. And since all the individuals involved were caught, I feel better about it.

When I was chatting with Senna and Ronnie one day about a problem, I mentioned my hesitancy in calling LPD over what I perceived to be a minor problem. Ronnie said don't hesitate, he calls them all the time! We have a police force for reason, let them determine what may or may not be a minor problem.

• Adam
      February 18, 2011 at 1:30 pm

To be clear: I was wondering what we could do for the family. Cook a caserole? Help install a new door? Send them on vacation? I don't know anything about them so I don't know what they need or how they'd react to random neighbors wanting to help.

I'm not suddenly afraid of the neighborhood because like Michael says this particular incident was targeted and highly unlikely to happen again. I'll continue to play with my dog in the front yard and walk around the subdivision. I lived in a pretty rough neighborhood when I was starting my adult life and even with this incident I feel secure here.

I have seen LVPD come through a couple of times in the year I've lived there, but I don't think a heightened police presence will do anything. It may make some people feel safer so there is value in that I suppose.

I do feel like I should knock on doors, introduce myself, and exchange phone numbers with neighbors…

5. Laura
    February 18, 2011 at 8:06 am

Just so so sad. Again make sure you hug your kids & pray over them. I can't stress pray over them enough. Talk to them & love them. So many families lives are changed for forever.

6. Kevin
    February 18, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Kids are always causing problems. That' why i refuse to have them or like them.