A New Chapter

On February 2nd of this year, we celebrate the fifth anniversary of This is LaVergne.com.  My first post was called Welcome to LaVergne and I simply pulled information about how the city got its name,

The history of the City goes back to the 1700’s when the ancestors of some of La Vergne’s current residents settled in the area to begin their new life. The man the city was named after, Francois Leonard Gregorie de Roulhac de lavergne, eventually moved to Tennessee from France.

Relatively new to LaVergne, I wanted to get to know people.  I looked around and was inspired by This is Smyrna… “Genius!” I thought.  What a great way to get involved AND to do something I loved – writing.  Even then, I thought our little site here could become an important source of news since there was no newspaper or other media dedicated solely to the city.  Even in my little bitty home town of 3,000 people in Kentucky, there was a weekly paper … not so in LaVergne.

And so we began.

We’ve had some ups and downs in these last five years.  It’s pretty clear this is not a drama-free zone, but that’s the nature of what happens when people are given the opportunity to exercise their first amendment right to free speech.  Unless commenters tiptoed into the dangerous territory of causing Ivy and me possible liability issues, readers have had free reign to speak their minds.

Many people have gained our trust.  I hope I earned yours in return because I applied for and today accepted the position of Public Relations Director with the City of LaVergne.  Here are my qualifications for the position.

• B.S. in the communications field
  • 15 years at The Council of State Governments
    • 2 years as Research Associate publishing The Book of the States and supplementary directories
    • 13 years as Communications Manager for the National Association of State Treasurers
    • 10 years as lead staff of the College Savings Plans Network (where we lobbied and gained federal tax exemption on earnings for State 529 plans) and the State Debt Management Network
      • lead staff in talking with national media about 529 plans
      • conference planning of up to 12 events per year
      • oversight of all written and electronic communications
    • 1 year as Communications Specialist with the University of Kentucky in the Tobacco Research & Development Center
    • And all kinds of other stuff that I’ll be glad to share with you if you ask, including real estate, newsletters, speech writer, web design, brochure design, award-winning writer, editor, publisher, and more.

What will this mean for TiLaV?  First, we are very fortunate to have people in the city who recognize This is LaVergne can be used as an important communications tool for our town and its residents.  This is LaVergne lives on.  My friend and colleague Ivy is taking over as the lead administrator of the site.  Our other writers will continue their interesting and informative posts, as well.

Like the house guest who won’t leave or the bad song stuck in your head, I’ll still be hanging out here.  However, my role will be different.  Effective January 31st, my posts will be news from the city as the Public Relations Director. If there are other things I want to write about and they do not conflict with my new position, I’ll speak up.  (For example, I will continue to post lame pictures of birds and flowers… hahahaha…)

Ultimately, residents found a voice through This is LaVergne and we’d love more writers to volunteer to keep that voice loud and clear.

Meanwhile, I thank you for your support these last five years, LaVergne.

27 comments for “A New Chapter

1. Allen
    January 21, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Congrats!

2. Elizabeth
    January 21, 2011 at 11:32 pm

congratulations, Kathy…good luck in your new job with the City of La Vergne…I know you will do an excellent job….

3. Cricket123
    January 22, 2011 at 12:51 am

Kathy!!! I am so excited for you!!! We must do lunch soon – when there is no snow, of course… I'm still very much a gimp. I've been told that I may get to walk without the "gimp-sticks" (ie. crutches) by March, if I'm lucky… sigh!

But Wow for you!!! And here comes Bad Bad Ivy – she slays me with her wit and humor!!! Both of you will make this city very proud and I am certain of that!!! 🙂

4. January 22, 2011 at 4:20 am

Congratulations!!!

5. January 22, 2011 at 6:56 am

Well Hot diggity dog! That's excellent news Kathy! I'm so excited for you!

6. Theresa
    January 22, 2011 at 7:48 am

Kathy,

I am so, so, so happy for you! You will do an amazing job!

Theresa

7. LV2LV
    January 22, 2011 at 7:48 am

Congratulations Kathy!!! (I told you!!)

8. Vice Mayor Chris Far
    January 22, 2011 at 7:51 am

Congratulations Kathy! I heard last night that you had received an offer to be the Public Relations Director. I am looking forward to working with you and hearing and seeing your ideas for the city.

9. yoya
    January 22, 2011 at 8:30 am

Woo Hoo Kathy! Congratulations! Can't wait to see the positive you will bring to this great city! I can't think of a better person for the job!
    Ivy, I am so excited to read what lurks inside your brain! lol!

10. mark
    January 22, 2011 at 8:47 am

I want to say this…….For those of you that don't know Kathy she will be bringing alot of positive vibes for the city. She will represent the city like no other. Being a dear friend of hers I am so happy that she was offered the position which I know in my heart she will do an outstanding job for the tax payers of La Vergne. She is not a blue jean type of gal when it comes to her city!

11. January 22, 2011 at 8:59 am

Kathy!!! I'm so happy for you! Congrats!

12. January 22, 2011 at 9:22 am

Cangrats Kathy! This will definately be a plus for La Vergne to have you speak for us!!!

January 22, 2011 at 9:26 am

Kathy, I am so excited for you! What a great opportunity. Must be osmosis, though. When I read about Angie's resignation, I told a friend that you'd be the perfect replacement for her. We will miss your daily interaction on this blog, but I know Ivy will jump right in there and do you proud. 🙂

14. Sarah N
    January 22, 2011 at 9:57 am

Yay Kathy! This is great news for you and La Vergne!

15. Adrianne Foreman
    January 22, 2011 at 11:56 am

Congratulations, Kathy!! I'm really happy for you and know you will do great! You're perfect for the job, but I'm going to miss the pictures. Come on, just a couple pictures? LOL Seriously, I'm really excited for you!

16. January 22, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Yay Kathy!!!!

17. Cee Dee
    January 22, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Kathy — congrats! It will be good to have a positive, energetic, capable person dedicated to the good PR La Vergne needs to make our city a better place for its citizens, its businesses, and its leaders. Thanks for taking it on . . .

18. steve noe
    January 22, 2011 at 9:41 pm

GIT-ER-DUN

19. Ivy
    January 25, 2011 at 6:50 am

Congrats, Kathy! And watch out, y'all, because here I come! 😉

January 25, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Woo-hoo . . . nice article on Kathy in today's DNJ!! We're proud of you, girl!

21. January 25, 2011 at 9:08 pm

It's nice to see a city recognize & appreciate a job well done; they made a great choice in you!

22. Kevin
    January 27, 2011 at 6:06 pm

They say the good ole boy system is gone. BS!

23. yoya
    January 27, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Kevin, I would love to hear why you think Kathy Tyson being chosen as LaVergne's new PR is BS and relates to the good ole boy system. In case you skimmed over the article at the top she is more than qualified for this position. I attended the city workshop where everyone was made aware that the applicants and interviews were handled by Fred Gaston of HR and Bruce Richardson the acting city administrator. There were six applicants for the PR position and no one was made aware of who they were until the decison was made by Mr.Gaston and Mr. Richardson. It is my belief that all great leaders surround themselves with smart,talented people. What part of this is BS?

24. Ross
    January 28, 2011 at 6:55 am

I thought her and the new mayor were buds. No wonder why she never criticized her on this website.

25. Tom Broeker
    January 28, 2011 at 9:19 am

The hiring of Mrs. Tyson needs no justification. Her resume speaks for itself. Quite frankly, she probably was over qualified for this position and I do not believe anyone can doubt her love and passion for the City of La Vergne. We are very fortunate to have her and I, for one, am looking forward to working with her.

26. chris farmer
    January 28, 2011 at 11:54 am

I am with Tom on this issue. No elected official has much say so when it comes to hiring. We have an awesome human resources director who by the way was hired by the previous mayor not the new mayor. He puts applicants through the ringer so to speak. He and Bruce Richardson pretty much hire at this point and then let everyone else know they are hired. I am sure if anyone would like to question the city's hiring process they could call Mr. Gaston and he would explain it to them. I may be speaking out of line but I believe they even run all knew hire request past the city attorney to get his input on them.

27. steve noe
    February 3, 2011 at 1:55 am

LOLMAO sounds like a few people are jealous Kathy, Go get em girl and put your skills to work. Hey but then If someone was not crying these post would be no fun read.