Some City Updates

Before we begin, I just want to tell you that the potato soup really *was* good despite what (rhymes with) Heave-Ho said.

The biggest news happening right now in LaVergne is that a search is underway for a new city administrator. Click here to read the job description and information about applying. You have until January 8th to apply. Here is a GREAT change in one of the position requirements: Must currently live in the City of La Vergne or must be willing to move to the City of LaVergne within 6 months of accepting the position. I really like that the person who is making the decisions that will impact this town has to live with these decisions by living in this town. Wise.

The next isn’t nearly as exciting, but worth mentioning… the city has set up drop boxes to pay water bill, taxes, court fees, and traffic tickets 24-hours a day. The water drop box is still located at the regular water payment drive-thru. The other payments (tax, court, traffic) can be left in a drop box at the BACK DOOR of City Hall. Make sure you indicate any vital information like name, address, and “if applicable account number or ticket number with any payments so that they can be applied to the appropriate account.”

Also on the city page,

The LaVergne Public Works Department will be accepting live Christmas trees through January 21st, 2011. All decorations, tinsel, garlands, lights, etc. must be removed from the trees before dropping them off. Trees may be dropped off at the Public Works Building located at 148 International Blvd. Signs will be posted as to where to leave the trees.

My tree has been undecorated and dropped in the attic. Some ornaments were harmed in the process.

27 comments for “Some City Updates

1. yoya
    January 3, 2011 at 10:03 pm

I am loving all the positive changes our city is making. We are a great city and it is nice to finally have some people in charge that understand for the people -by the people. Kudos to our new city leaders.

January 3, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Holy cow . . . that's one he** of a job description. I know they're trying to be thorough, but I don't think I've ever seen one five pages long.

And Kathy, why isn't the original post showing up on the home page? I just happened to see the above comment on the right side.

• January 3, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Weird… can you see it now?

January 4, 2011 at 9:06 am

I couldn't get to the site at all around midnight, but it seems to be okay this morning. I guess it was tired and needed to take a nap. 🙂

• January 4, 2011 at 1:02 pm

I think WordPress switched over to some formatting changes last night and this post got caught in the middle… hopefully it's fixed.

3. blah blah
    January 4, 2011 at 1:04 am

I really don't see the point of making the new admin live inside the city. I'm afraid it will keep some good local candidates from applying. The economy is still bad – maybe they won't be able to sell their home and move here – maybe they have established their home and don't want to move. I think as long as they live within a reasonable distance it would be okay. I would be okay with living in Rutherford county. This is America and we should have the freedom to live wherever we want to. As long as the job is being done properly, what difference does it make where someone lives? Does anyone know if any current employees are going to apply?

• michaelinLV
      January 4, 2011 at 12:33 pm

I have to disagree with you on the residency requirements blah blah:

– You are right that we have the "freedomto live where we want to live," But no one is being forced to take this job. This is America and I should have the freedom to yell "fire" in a crowded building, right?

– You mention that the residency requirements could keep good candidates from applying. Well, you have to live in La Vergne in order to be the mayor, and the City Admin handles the duties that are handled by Mayors in larger cities.

– One of the major complaints about Mark Moshea was that because he lived in Smyrna, he didn't have to live with the decisions he made. While any of us can move at anytime, I do think it's important to have a vested intererest in La Vergne if you are taking this position.

Please note, I am not saying that all city workers should have to live in La Vergne. But if you are basically running the day-to-day operations, you need to be here. I don't think having to live in La Vergne will be what prevents us from obtaining a qualified candidate, I think the salary is the problem. at $71k you are not going to get a skilled, experienced administrator who meets the job requirements. The person with the neccessary skills could earn $100k+ in the private sector, so I think they need to come up to at least $90k in order to be competitive.

I hope I'm wrong since I have to chip in to pay the person, I just think we'll either be disapointed in who they hire, or we will pay more for experience.

• Cee Dee
        January 5, 2011 at 9:33 am

If I'm not mistaken, with insurance (100% paid by the City for full family coverage), benefits, etc. the position will actually pay closer to the $100,000+ amount for the City Adminstrator.

January 5, 2011 at 11:15 am

Michael, I have to both agree and disagree. It would certainly be preferable if the administrator lived in LaVergne, but I don't think it should be a deal breaker. Too many outside variables: What if you're offered the job, but can't sell your house elsewhere? What if moving to LaVergne derails your spouse's career – many Metro positions require you to live in Davidson County. What if the applicant doesn't want to uproot his/her kids from their current schools? Let's face it, LaVergne schools are a mess right now, and I sure wouldn't want to transfer in if I could help it. I think requiring a Rutherford County address is going to limit your pool of candidates as it is, but committing an applicant to live in LaVergne is crazy.

Second, I do agree that for what the City wants, the pay scale is too low, even with the benefits package. I'd be curious to know what other cities are paying and if their job responsibilities are comparable. So who wants to dig up that info? 🙂

• blah blah
        January 6, 2011 at 12:07 am

Michael, I usually agree with you on a lot of things, but obviously not this topic:

-"This is America and I should have the freedom to yell “fire” in a crowded building, right?" – Really?? You can't seriously be comparing this to my statement. That's not the same kind of freedom I was referring to (and you know it). Yelling fire in a crowded building is against the law for safety reasons.

– "You mention that the residency requirements could keep good candidates from applying. Well, you have to live in La Vergne in order to be the mayor, and the City Admin handles the duties that are handled by Mayors in larger cities." – Yes, I will agree that in some large cities, the Mayor runs the day-to-day operations, but most of the major cities have professional city managers that run the day to day operations. That's the way we are set up, so there's no need to discuss what other city's do with their mayors. We need to keep politics out of the administrator's job and leave that with the elected positions. The council sets policy. They are the ones who have to live with the decisions. The city manager just has to enforce the rules on the books. They don't set policy.

– "One of the major complaints about Mark Moshea was that because he lived in Smyrna, he didn’t have to live with the decisions he made. While any of us can move at anytime, I do think it’s important to have a vested intererest in La Vergne if you are taking this position" – How do you know he didn't have to live with the decisions he made – I hope he had a conscience. You make is sound like he was cold hearted. I doubt that. Again – refer to my previous statement about the board sets policy and the manager just enforces the rules on the books.

I will agree that most major cities – 50K citizens and up – probably do require the manager to live in the city, but I'm willing to bet that those cities are a lot larger in size and have much more diversity than we do here in LaVergne. This is NOT a big city. Sometimes we think we are, but if we were the size of Murfreesboro or Nashville and had the widespread diversity that they have, I wouldn't be arguing about making someone live in the city limits. The economy is bad, people are hurting financially and you are going to make someone pull up their roots and possible lose any equity they might have left and go to a job where you serve at the whim of the council that could change in 2 years or 4 years and you'll be out on the street? I wouldn't do it. Not with the politics that are here in LaVergne. This isn't Murfreesboro, who had a city manager for 30+ years. This isn't Smyrna, who has had longevity in that position. This is LaVergne where we've had probably 10 or more managers in the last 20 years. That's not a good track record and until the politics are taken out of that job, that's never going to change.

If there is anyone who is qualified that already works for the city, I would like to see them get the position. I have always been in favor of promoting from within. That's why I asked earlier if any existing employees had applied. I don't know who might be qualified that already works there.

I hope everyone has a great day!

4. steve noe
    January 4, 2011 at 9:08 am

I wood aply fur that thar job ifin i had me 1 of them edmacations

• January 4, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Do you like my duck picture in the header? I really like it.

• vice mayor chris far
        January 6, 2011 at 10:07 am

I like the duck picture in the header!!

• January 6, 2011 at 11:15 am

Thank you Vice Mayor! It was a random picture I took and when I put it up there and saw the detail, I was happily surprised. It just has an awesome kinda look to it.

• Theresa
      January 4, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Go ahead and apply Steve, I will help you with the big words on the application! Your name is S T E V E…start there.

• steve noe
        January 5, 2011 at 11:00 am

I went to that thare city hal to put me in one of them thare aplacations for that thare job but din't get er dun so I told that knew mayor of urs that she missed a good opertuntyityty for a good person for that J…O…B…

5. Cee Dee
    January 4, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Sounds like the administration is being very thorough THIS TIME!

6. Elizabeth
    January 5, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I agree that the "new city administrator" should live in La Vergne. This would help him/her to make the best decisions for the citizens of La Vergne. Good luck with the application process and interviews & hope we get a really good administrator….

7. wow
    January 5, 2011 at 11:49 pm

Residency requirements are great! Now everyone should move to the area that they work in also. Lavergne will be a whole lot less crowded then. We would make the search for our new administrator really quick. lol

• michaelinLV
      January 6, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Who said that everyone should live near where they work? I'm with you wow, I don't think it would be a big deal if Nashville Mayor Karl Dean decided to move to Murfreesboro; it's not that big of a commute.

8. wow
    January 6, 2011 at 12:01 am

Oops, did I say that out loud?
    Living in or near the place you work does not make you care more about how you do your job. If the right person is selected, they would perform their duties to the best of their ability for the City regardless of where they live. The best interest of the City would be their primary concern; sometimes that interest is not always popular. We live in a mobile society, we travel to shop, work, eat, etc., etc.,… I read the requirements for the job and I thought it was quite disappointing. The pay is to low to get what we really need and the qualifications are to low to get what we deserve.
    Good luck, we are going to need it…

January 6, 2011 at 12:31 pm

lets put a new spin on this thread – I am Teacher A and I live in La Vergne and teach at LHS. But when my child reaches 9th grade I choose to send him to private school instead of having him come to LHS. If you have a student in Teacher A's class at LHS, do you have a problem with this teacher's decision? I'm not asking if it's legal, ethical, etc.. I'm just asking, would you personally be bothered by this?

• Theresa
      January 6, 2011 at 4:15 pm

michaelinLV, I had that same quandry myself several years ago. I am studying to be a teacher and plan to teach in public schools. But, there was serious deliberation on my part about wanting to homeschool my son. As a future teacher, I want to be part of the solution, but I didn't want my children wrapped up in the problem. Does that make me a bad teacher (or future teacher?)

I agree with those here that say forcing the residency really limits our pool of candidates. But, I understand those who say it makes the administrator more cautious of his choices since he/she must live within them also.

January 6, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Wouldn't bother me at all. If you want your child in private school (and can afford it), then go right ahead. No reason your own child should attend a lesser-performing school just because you happen to teach there. I have a good friend who teaches at one of the roughest high schools in Nashville and there's no way she'd allow her own daughter to go there.

10. mark
    January 8, 2011 at 9:38 am

I see in today's DNJ online that Angie Mayes resigned Friday. interesting I must say!

January 8, 2011 at 10:20 am

Plus the fact they've extended the application deadline for the city administrator position. Lots going on at City Hall!

• mark
        January 8, 2011 at 12:46 pm

its called cleaning up left over mess!