Homemade Potato Soup

Skipping right over the tradition of eating black eyed peas and cabbage to bring luck in the New Year, I opted instead to make a big pot of homemade potato soup!   Just back out to your favorite page if you are either 1) a top chef or 2) don’t want to see a recipe, but for those of us who are *cough* cooking-challenged, you might enjoy this.

First, peel and dice your potatoes.  I think I ended up using about 15 spuds.

I then boiled the diced potatoes and added onion and celery flakes, salt and pepper.  Using fresh celery and a fresh onion is a better choice, but… again I’m not a top chef here!  I also added some ham … I used city ham, but other options are country ham or bacon (do not pre-cook the bacon, boil it with the potatoes and other ingredients).

Add two to three (or more if you like) dashes of liquid smoke.

Once the potatoes are cooked, add a block of velveeta (16 ounces).  You can add the whole block or cut in slices.

The cold velveeta will make the soup stop boiling, but the pan is still hot… therefore keep stirring to prevent it from sticking to the bottom.  After all cheese is melted, get 2% milk and start pouring.

Since my brother (the master potato soup chef) couldn’t tell me exactly how much he pours in, I was very nervous.  His advice, “Pour until the soup gets white enough for you.”  In the end, I think I added one to two cups of milk.  Now this part is VITAL.  Do not overcook from here or the milk will separate from the rest of the soup!  You’re really in the last stages of the dish…

While you’re again bringing the soup to a boil, mix about a cup of flour with a cup of water.

I whisked it like a crazy woman, but apparently not enough since it clumped a bit when I added it to the soup pan.

The potato soup thickened almost immediately so after a few more stirs – and being paranoid about the milk not curdling from overcooking – I took it off the heat and began serving.

I added some mild cheddar on top to serve.  Adding sharp cheddar, crunched up cooked bacon, or onions or chives on top would be pretty tasty, too.  The potato soup was very rich, but really really good.  My biggest shortcoming?  I needed more salt for sure.  And I think I made too much.

Bon appetit!

9 comments for “Homemade Potato Soup

1. Theresa
    January 1, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Kathy-I am so proud of you! It looks delish! I tried cooking something new today too, chicken fried rice…no recipe! Maybe the new year is insuring us.

2. Linda Gentry
    January 1, 2011 at 6:23 pm

I am going to try this version…never made it with bacon cooked along with potatoes…but sounds good.

As far as the clumping when adding the flour/milk to pot….take a little of the pot liquid and add to the flour/milk mixture…before adding all back to pot….might help…might not.

One can NEVER make too much potato soup!

Thank you!

January 2, 2011 at 11:28 am

Linda, have you ever tried freezing it? I have, but without much luck. Is there a trick to it?

3. Cricket123
    January 1, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Kathy,

I will gladly take any of your soup leftovers!!! It sounds absolutely delicious, but would require a great deal of standing and I can't do that just yet…. 🙁

• January 1, 2011 at 8:44 pm

I have a ton left. Do you really want some? I can bring it by your house tomorrow about 1:00… just message me where you live!

4. steve noe
    January 1, 2011 at 9:16 pm

put me on the delivery list please, I can't cook a lick and I am tired of O'Charley's tater soup

5. steve noe
    January 2, 2011 at 1:39 pm

FOLKS LISTEN UP, that tater soup taste like shit that Kathy T. made, stay away from it, and just to show you all what a good Laverngeian I am, I will take all what's left and dispose of it for you, so get it all together and bring to me and I will dispose of. Thanks

• January 2, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Steve, has anyone ever told you that "You ain't right, mister!!" hahaha… Glad you liked it. 🙂

• steve noe
        January 3, 2011 at 5:33 pm

you may have to adopt my son LOL I got a small portion