Want Allure? Think LaV

Perhaps its the low tax rate.  Maybe it’s our generous water policy.  But personally I think it’s the friendly villagers we should be thanking for our high ranking when it comes to being attractive to business.  Don’t believe me?  Look at this article in the DNJ called Think tank ranks LaVergne high for business,

In the Economic Vitality category, Smyrna was ranked seventh, Murfreesboro was ranked eighth and La Vergne was ranked ninth place.

In the Business Tax Burden category, La Vergne was ranked seventh, Smyrna was ranked 15th and Murfreesboro was ranked 29th.

In the Community Allure category, La Vergne was ranked 12th, Murfreesboro was ranked 29th and Smyrna was ranked 49th.

Right now it looks like Smyrna and Murfreesboro are ahead of us in the Economic Vitality category but we’ve left them in the dust in the categories of Business Tax Burden and Community Allure.   WTG LaVergne!

Let’s sidetrack for just a bit.  I have long said to whoever will listen that there is NO reason LaVergne can’t be one of the BEST places to live in Middle Tennessee.  We have a lake right next door, we are but a stone’s throw from Nashville/Davidson County, great access to transportation thoroughfares, great tax rates, affordable housing, etc.  AND for the most part, we are an extremely friendly group of residents.

It is hugely vindicating for LaVergne to see this report by the Tennessee Center for Policy Research – a group that is non-political, independent, not-for-profit – and to be ranked so favorably.

What we have to determine as a community (together with our new leadership) is how to translate and utilize the ranking of 6th friendliest Tennessee city to broaden our opportunities.  I would like to see LaVergne work more closely with the Rutherford County Chamber of Commerce.  I would like to make sure our local industries know that where they enjoy the benefits of our low tax rates and strong work-force, they should expect to give equal support back to the community in which they are located.  (Don’t get me started on how one local industry has “adopted” a low-income school in another town.  They essentially enjoy the economic perks of operating their business here, but their community pay back goes elsewhere.)

It’s time the city really concentrates on the *real* things that will attract business and then all-hands-on-deck.  Use county resources, state resources, and federal resources.  Use our residents who have amazing backgrounds in management, business, public relations, advocacy, and community outreach.  You might be shocked if you knew the finely honed talents our citizens possess.  With them, we can accomplish grand ideas.  Other towns have done it.  We can too.

So yay LaVergne!

7 comments for “Want Allure? Think LaV

1. November 23, 2010 at 4:18 pm

**humor alert**
    LaVergne treats all visitors like royalty and even are happy to get their autographs…of course they normally are at the bottom of traffic citations, it is the thought that counts….right?
    **humor alert**

2. Theresa
    November 23, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Uh oh…sounds like Gunner was asked for his autograph recently!

• November 23, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Nope. I've not had a ticket in almost 20 years.

• November 24, 2010 at 11:22 am

My one (and only) speeding ticket was compliments of a Smyrna police officer. 🙁

3. November 23, 2010 at 7:13 pm

I think we can do it. With the new administration in place and everyone (government officals, voluteer groups and just plain ole people wanting to help) in town working together coming up with ideas and resources I believe this city could shine. I didn't choose to move to Lavergne because I thought it was a dying or bad place. I moved here because of the potental for this city! My 2 cents!

• michaelinLV
      November 24, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Richard, I hope you are right. Every homeowner has a financial interest in seeing this city succeed. I think one of the first steps is encouraging people to move back in here and call this town home.

I don't know the exact percentage of rentals, but it could be determined fairly easily (Rutherford Counties property data shows each homes address and where the owner lives. If the two addresses aren't the same, you've either got someone with a vacation home here in La Vergne, or a rental property). Section 8 or not, renters generally don't have an interest in the long term success of a community. Think about it, if you have ever rented an apartment, were you concerned with the future success of the apartment complex? Probably not. There are some great renters, and those with lease-purchasers who are committed to this area. Nationally the homeownership rate is about 65%. I think for an area like La Vergne, the homeownership rate needs to be 75% or higher.

I agree the potential is here. No longer can we blame past politicians for current failures. Our "guys" now hold at least 3 out of 5 spots, also known as a majority. Senna, Chris, Tom – Let's see what you can do!

4. Elizabeth
    November 24, 2010 at 2:43 pm

congratulations to all the citizens of La Vergne for helping get these surveys up and very respectful….way to go, La Vergne…..we WILL only go forward from here….