Mayor Mosley Sworn-In

Tonight LaVergne has a new Mayor, new Vice Mayor, and new Aldermen.  Instead of hearing from me, I’m going to share the words of a 15-year old resident who updated her Facebook status:

LaVergne is taking a new turn starting tonight! I think ill be proud to call lavergne my home again! (: congrats to everyone! Tonight was ahh-mazing! (:

She summed it up so nicely.  But let’s do a run-down, shall we?   I arrived about 5:20 with my toys for the toy drive and handed them to Alderman Waldron. They had a little table set up and it looks like they collected 10 or 15 toys on behalf of the Christmas program.  Kudos to the police department and Mr. Waldron for their efforts.

I’m throwing in a jump here because it’s a long, picture-filled post.

City Hall filled up quickly.  By 5:45 p.m. I’m guessing there were at least 200 people in attendance.  All the seats were taken, people were lined up along the perimeter of the walls, and there was a crowd standing in the lobby.

The ceremony began with former Vice Mayor Jerry Gann serving as Master of Ceremonies.

Olivia Anchondo of LaVergne Middle School led the Pledge of Allegiance.  Here Mayor Mosley presents Olivia with a certificate of appreciation for her part in the ceremony.

Following the Pledge, the AMAZING LHS Choir performed the National Anthem.  I didn’t get my camera set to video fast enough, but got this much video shot of the performance.  They were so fantastic, it gave me goosebumps and made the hair on my arms stand up!  CLICK AND WATCH!

Then Reverend Ezell Garner said the invocation.

Judge Guy Dotson, Jr. then swore in our new elected officials.

Mayor Senna Mosley

Mayor Mosley receives flowers from Cedar Grove Elementary Student Madison Bridges.

Alderman Sherry Green

Alderman Green receives flowers from LaVergne Lake Elementary student Breanna Sullivan.

Alderman Chris Farmer

Alderman Chris Farmer received flowers from LaVergne Primary students Hayden and Cash Hartley in possibly the cutest moment of the night.  Each young man handed Alderman Farmer a vase of flowers. Here they are shown getting their certificates of appreciation from Mayor Mosley.

Alderman Dennis Waldron was then recognized for his continued service with flowers presented by Roy Waldron Elementary student Nellie Slinker.

Here we have most of the new Board, and Mayor Mosley inviting the audience to step outside to see the ENTIRE police department standing in honor of our new city officials.

Unfortunately my pictures of this breathtaking honor guard are not what I want them to be.  Still.  This was AMAZING (and it’s only about a third of the officers present).

Then the cake and chatting…

(Love the orange flowers…)

Mayor Mosley in her new office…

Once the actual meeting started, the first order of business was electing an alderman to fill the seat recently vacated by the mayor.  Ms. Mosley said that because a city-wide election was just held, it was beholden of the Board to listen to the voice of the citizens’ vote.  Because Mr. Tom Broeker received the third highest number of votes (behind Aldermen Green and Farmer), she nominated him to serve the remainder of her two year term.   Alderman Sherry Green seconded the motion and Mr. Broeker was unanimously elected.

Alderman Tom Broeker

Mr. Broeker received flowers from Rock Springs Elementary student Michaela Walker.

The Board of Mayor and Aldermen then chose a Vice Mayor.  Ms. Senna explained that the person who filled the position would be responsible for many duties and would have to have a radio with them at all times.  She then opened the floor for nominations.  Mr. Broeker nominated Alderman Chris Farmer and Ms. Mosley seconded the nomination.  After inviting further nominations and none were made, Mr. Farmer was unanimously elected as Vice Mayor.

That’s when I had to leave because my family was waiting for me in the car.  We headed over to the new “New East Buffet” for dinner.  And that my friends is another post.

CONGRATULATIONS to Mayor Mosley, Vice Mayor Chris Farmer, Alderman Sherry Green, and Alderman Tom Broeker.  We look forward to many positive changes for our city, to include smart planning and a willingness to do what is right.

12 comments for “Mayor Mosley Sworn-In

1. tony vanatta
    November 18, 2010 at 10:27 pm

THANKS KATHY FOR KEEPING LAVERGNE POSTED,,IT TAKE LOTS OF TIME TO DO THIS,,THANKS AGAIN

November 19, 2010 at 9:29 am

Awesome post and pictures, Kathy. You always do such a great job of keeping us informed. (I scanned the DNJ website very quickly, but saw no mention of last night's activities – no surprise there.)

I am so excited to see what the future holds for our little city, though I guess it's really not so little anymore!

3. james
    November 19, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Please don't start another good ole boy system by promoting friends, family or campaign supporters. If so Lavergne will have another Mayor in four years.

4. Cee Dee
    November 19, 2010 at 1:09 pm

I hope Senna promotes those deserving of promotion, hires those who are qualified to do a better job than those NOT doing the job whether they are friends, family or campaign supporters. She has proven in her years in office already that she is a fair person & she has an open door policy. I just hope those who have been told not to talk will not be afraid to do so now. We need to clean up City Hall and give all employees a voice, which they have not apparently had in the past several years. Let's clean up our city & make it appealing to new businesses and take positive steps to create GOOD NEWS STORIES about our city to intice new home owners to move in. It's exciting to see new blood on the board to promote change & to make sure our ordinances & codes are upheld — no matter what the last name is!!

November 19, 2010 at 4:24 pm

I was surprised to hear Chris nominated to Vice Mayor. Nothing against Chris as I voted for him, but we now have a new mayor, and our vice mayor has only served for one meeting. Plus, what impact does this have on Box100? Have they lost two volunteers now that they are Mayor and Vice Mayor?

Personally I would have thought Sherry Green would have been the ideal Vice Mayor (since she once served as Mayor), but maybe she didn't want it.

6. November 19, 2010 at 6:17 pm

I have searched diligently, high & low to find media coverage of last night's swearing-in. I saw a blip on Channel 2 this morning, but that's it. Nothing online in DNJ, WGNS, tv news channels, etc. Has anyone else found anything to which I can link?

November 20, 2010 at 10:02 am

There's finally a piece in today's DNJ. Not too detailed, but the last few paragraphs are rather interesting. I can't cut and paste the link – maybe because it's too long? Check it out, though.

• deborahb
      November 20, 2010 at 10:33 am

Here's the interview with Mayor Mosley from News 2

• deborahb
      November 20, 2010 at 10:46 am

DNJ article on Mayor Mosley

• blah blah
        November 20, 2010 at 11:10 am

Once again, the DNJ can't get their facts straight! Currently, you have to sign up for citizens comments more than 1 day before the meeting. Also, the board is not dropping the bid limit down to 5K, the board will just have to approve purchases over 5K. The limit for sealed bids is still going to be 10K. At least that's how it was explained at the meeting Thursday.

7. Vice-Mayor Chris Far
    November 19, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Michael to answer your question. No Box 100 has lost no volunteers. I stepped doen as assistant chief last week. They voted on a new assistant chief then. I am now just a regular member I will still do the Box 100 call outs as I always did. Also Box 100 picked up I think it was 5 or 6 new members at the last meeting. Now to address the vice mayor vote I was just as surprised as anyone else. Tom Broeker was the one who nominated me and there were no other nominations. I want to give Tom a special thanks on the nomination for vice mayor. I will work diligently for everyone. Sherry told me after the meeting last night she was proud I got the position because she has been there and did not want the responsibility. Thank you to everyone who has supported me in this endeavor and I hope that with the board of mayor and alderman we have we can make some wonderful accomplishments over the next four years.

8. Cee Dee
    November 22, 2010 at 11:12 am

Michael — Mayor Mosley told the Board before nominations that the Vice Mayor would have a lot of responsibility & would have a radio 24/7 for the position of Emergency Services Coordinator, for which the Vice Mayor will be responsible. Having said that, I don't believe anyone who has been in that seat before ever had that type of responsibility or wanted it. I believe Chris is the right person as he knows about the 24/7 responsiblity and has dedicated himself to public safety. I don't see Ms. Green in that position as I have tried in the past to call her on different occasions & she was always on her way to a meeting had something she was about to do, couldn't talk & didn't seem to want to deal with problems brought to her even when she was mayor. I think the key word here is RESPONSIBILTY. You have to be willing to listen & act once you have the facts — that's being responsible & that's what has been lacking on the BOARD in that position, in my opinion. Chris on the other hand I believe will be willing to work with citizens and listen to their complaints, work for us all & I think will do a good job as an ACTIVE Vice Mayor.