More on the Regional Transportation Plan

So it’s right down to business for my first TiLV post. Kathy, Ivy, and I had the opportunity to talk with Chris Farmer today a little more in-depth about the 25 year regional transportation plan laid out at the meeting. I have in my hot little hands a bunch of documentation that I was going to scan in, until I got the bright idea to go to the Nashville Metropolitan Planning Organization’s (MPO) website, where I found much of the information was already posted (thank goodness). So here are some linky links for our readers:

2011-2010 Cost-Feasible Projects

I think they mean this is the stuff they can realistically afford to accomplish. It’s a ginormous Excel grid that lists proposed projects by county. In case you don’t have all day to comb through it, here are the items I found pertaining to LV:

• Chaney Blvd- Construct 5,600 linear feet of sidewalk. Project will likely include drainage improvements.
  • Chaney Blvd (separate listing)- This project will widen Chaney Blvd to three lanes in order to accommodate existing and potential development.
  • Fergus Rd-  Project will extend sidewalks from Murfreesboro Road to Heritage Circle.
  • Waldron Rd- Widen Waldron Rd and Parthenon Pkwy from Industrial Blvd to Murfreesboro Rd (SR-1) to five lanes with shoulders to match cross sections on other portions of Waldron Rd. Sidewalks will be constructed on both sides of the roadway.
  • Jefferson Pike- This project will widen Jefferson Pike to three lanes. In addition, the project should address grade issues and replace a substandard rail overpass (There had better be sidewalks, for crying out loud! IMO it would be asinine to widen the road and not build sidewalks.)
  • Old Nashville Highway / Stones River Road- Install traffic signal and turn lanes at intersection of Old Nashville Highway and Stones River Road.
  • Hurricane Creek Greenway- Greenway/ bike trail connecting City Hall with residential areas.

Mass Transit Plan

My eyes are getting way too tired to read all of this, but the gist I got from Chris is that they will be adding more stops along the Broad St/Lowry/Murfreesboro Rd. route and adding a circular bus route that travels through the Smyrna/La Vergne area. There’s a map on page 88.

You can find more information than you ever wanted on the subject at the MPO’s website.

13 comments for “More on the Regional Transportation Plan

1. steve noe
    November 17, 2010 at 11:45 pm

We dont need a sidewalk on Fergus we SPEED BUMPS and STOP LIGHTS. just saying

2. November 18, 2010 at 12:16 am

I'd rather have sidewalks, personally. :o)

• Theresa
      November 18, 2010 at 8:24 am

Kathy, even if we had sidewalks all the way to Heritage Circle, the poor little old man who walks in the street would still walk in the street. I am so worried that one day someone will hit him.

• November 18, 2010 at 3:35 pm

I know! I hope I can still move like he does when I reach his age. Still… scary!

3. November 18, 2010 at 6:12 am

Do we really need a traffic light at the corner of Stones River Road and Old nashville hwy? Seriously, I beleive that money be better used for greenway projects such as sidewalks.

Sure the traffic gets backed up, especially when I-24 shuts down, but really a traffic light? Ba hum bug!

• November 18, 2010 at 8:36 am

I still say a traffic light is needed more where LaV's Jefferson Pike meets Murfreesboro Road. Forget the others…

• Sarah N
        November 18, 2010 at 9:09 am

I second that, Kathy! Also, an itty bitty bit of greenway from Ridgemont Drive to the Motlow College area would allow people from that neighborhood to easily walk or ride to the YMCA and other businesses, and possibly future bus routes. We would have to work with Smyrna to link up with it, but I think they owe it to the residents there after constructing the Tower of Doom in their back yards.

• michaelinLV
      November 18, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Chip, I think the reason you would add a traffic light at SRR and ONH is for future commercial growth. I believe most of the property (if not all) from SRR down to Chaney has been rezoned commercial. So the goal is to increase the amount of traffic traveling through there, thus needing a stop light.

• November 18, 2010 at 7:12 pm

I didn't think of it like that. I know that I don't see the whole picture. That's what someone else gets paid to do. However, I do see the need for a light at the end of Jefferson Pike and M'boro Rd first.

I'm guessing La Vergne has the mindset "If we build it, they will come?"

4. wow
    November 18, 2010 at 11:05 am

Fergus sidewalks, Chaney sidewalks, road widening projects. Where are we going to get all of this money? Please dont say grants, those are usually 80/20 splits and we do not have the 20. Right now there is not enough grant money to complete one sidewalk project. Forget the roar projects for a while, we have no money for them. Jefferson Pike would be a waste of money and does not serve much purpose. Old Nashville Highway all the way out to Smyrna would be a great long term plan.

• michaelinLV
      November 18, 2010 at 12:41 pm

I agree about Jefferson Pike. I live on that side of town, and can count 2 times I have traveled Jefferson from Sam Ridley to Old Nashville. I don't see the need, but as in my precious post, is there the potential for commercial growth along this corridor?

November 18, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Michael, all your posts are "precious," but I do agree with your comments on Jefferson Pike. 🙂

November 18, 2010 at 9:07 pm

haha, thanks Sherry! Precious, previous, it all means the sme right???