Where There is Hope

The elections have captivated TiLaV readers for several weeks now.  Yesterday we had our all time biggest day of web traffic topping 2500 pings… I knew our own mini poll would not be an accurate measure of how the votes finally went because – clearly – where there are 30,000 residents (ish) in this city and we have 2500 readers… well you can do the math.

I sat yesterday at the Roy Waldron Elementary School precinct.  Voters came out of there stone-faced.  We’d get an occasional wave and thumbs up, but mostly people looked straight ahead as they left.  I made a call every few hours to see if the voters leaving the other polling places seemed more receptive toward our candidate… they were.  I was in the middle of the hive of support for the person who did not get my vote.

The experience of working at a poll (to support candidates, not as a poll worker) was unforgettable.  There is a camaraderie with other volunteers  and the candidates were mostly good to each other.  Alderman Dennis Waldron drove through several times asking everyone if they needed anything.   He offered his services to everyone, nicely hedging his bets with whomever won and genuinely showing care and concern for the people who worked the 12-hour day.   Another candidate continued to give it all, but his campaign methods – at best – raised eyebrows.  Other candidates were stoic.  They were nervous.  They were excited.  All seemed genuinely wired… almost pacing with adrenalin.

In the end, our poll here picked some but was not at all 100 percent accurate.  We got our pick for Mayor… Senna Mosley will be sworn in on November 18th.  Newcomer Chris Farmer was another of our picks and he rode the tide to victory.  Incumbent Sherry Green rolled over her challengers and won big… she was the one our poll did not pick, but she silenced her detractors with a very strong victory.

Hope remains for one candidate to still serve now that Ms. Mosley’s seat will become vacant.  I expect it will be the third biggest vote-getter – Tom Broeker – to be appointed to the board by the Board.  It makes sense because the people of LaVergne have just voted and he received plenty of votes.  I think if he does take that seat on the Board, his role will be one of the most important… he will be the swing vote between old LaVergne and new LaVergne. I talked with him at length yesterday and I believe his professionalism will bode well for our city should he take that seat.

Mayor-Elect Mosley said this morning, “I would love to see the third place finisher, Mr. Broeker, be appointed to my former seat as Alderman because the people have spoken and his numbers were high.  I will be meeting with the city attorney today to make sure that this process is above-board and transparent to the people of LaVergne.”

This story is still developing and more information will come later.

Meanwhile, here are some very unashamedly biased pictures from yesterday.

13 comments for “Where There is Hope

1. Theresa
    November 3, 2010 at 9:55 am

I can't wait to see the positive direction our city takes under this exciting new leadership. This morning I am extremely proud to be a resident of LaVergne, something I couldn't honestly say the last several years.

Mayor Elect Mosley, I wish you the best. Your new role will not be easy but I believe you are well suited for this and will work extremely hard to make LaVergne a great place to call home again!

November 3, 2010 at 10:17 am

Well said, Theresa. As a 22-year resident of LaVergne, I could not agree more!

• laura
      November 3, 2010 at 9:30 pm

You nailed it Theresa! I am looking forward to all the citizens present and future having a city they are proud to call home. I honestly believe Senna has a long hard road ahead getting us back on track and I have complete faith in her and our newly appointed Aldermen. It's about time our city has a sense of community and unity. Good Luck to all of our newly elected officials and we are so proud of you and your visions to make La Vergne the best it can be.

2. Elizabeth
    November 3, 2010 at 10:15 am

I second that, Theresa. She will have her hands full but her positive attitude and experience will bring La Vergne into 2010 & beyond. Congratulations again, Seena. You did an awesome job during your campaign and will DO an awesome job running the city. I'm personally very proud of you.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you.

• Elizabeth
      November 3, 2010 at 3:23 pm

oops….Senna. (fingers not working too good today)…sorry

3. Chris Farmer
    November 3, 2010 at 2:27 pm

I want to say Thank You to everyone who supported me throughout this election. I could have not done this without each and every one of you. I have made a lot of really good friends that I hope are lifelong friends that there is probably no way our paths would have crossed if I had not chosen to run.

I want to congratulate Senna and Sherry Green on a job well done also.

To the ones who did not win, I want to say great job guys and gals. It was a very interesting election, of course I have never been in an election before either.

Thank You Kathy for giving us all this wonderful website to be able to share our ideas and voices on. I just want to say one more time Thank You to everyone I really could not have done this with out you.

Chris Farmer
    615-403-0941

P.S. I am out picking up signs so if any of you have a sign that is left straggling I may grab it and then I will call you and bring it to you.

• Theresa
      November 3, 2010 at 9:46 pm

Chris, I didn't mean to ignore your success in this election. Please forgive me. I appreciate how willing you were to open up to us, the voters, about your thoughts and ideas for our city. Your passion for LaVergne is evident and I look forward to what you can do to make LaVergne the wonderful community we all can take pride in.

Congratulations and best of luck!

• chris farmer
        November 4, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Theresa I never even thought you had ignored me. Thank you!!! I am ready to get sworn in and get busy working on the city.

4. November 3, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Great news for everyone involved! I'm anxious to see the new direction and as always am at your service!!

5. Cricket123
    November 4, 2010 at 12:03 am

I have signs for both Senna and Chris. Should I hang on to them so they can get the signs back?

6. chris farmer
    November 4, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Cricket yes please hang on to the signs I have been out trying to gather signs up I will be there no later than Saturday, I have to work tomorrow or I would pick them up then

7. Cricket123
    November 4, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Will do!

8. Concerned Citizen
    November 6, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Chris,
    Congratulations and Good Luck!! I am sure you already know that you will have your hands full. I think you are up for the task. Thanks for cleaning up signs so quickly they get tiresome to see after a while:)