LHS Good to Go According to RCS Internal Investigation

UPDATE:  New link.

Don’t like how things are being run at LHS?  Sorry!  According to the DNJ, no violations were found in complaints filed against Principal Dirk Ash.  One finding,

Enrichment/study hall — Complaint said students have 100 minutes per day — 30 minute lunch and 70-minute study hall — where they are not involved in any instructional time.”The investigation revealed that during this time (ESPN) students are involved in lunch, study hall, clubs, remediation and enrichment. Similar sessions are scheduled at other high schools within Rutherford County. Based upon information gathered from the instruction department this is an acceptable practice,” the response states.

Interesting…

17 comments for “LHS Good to Go According to RCS Internal Investigation

October 14, 2010 at 8:53 am

What a complete and utter joke. Conducting an "internal" investigation is like the fox guarding the henhouse, but I'm really not surprised at the ruling. The ones paying the ultimate price are the students and I do feel badly for them. If my daughter was younger, I'd be right in the middle of this, but since she graduates this year, I'm washing my hands of the entire thing and hoping for the best when she goes to college.

2. Theresa
    October 14, 2010 at 9:29 am

This whole mess has me seriously considering homeschool for my two.

October 14, 2010 at 9:57 am

My daughter actually asked me to look into the possibility of her transferring to Smyrna next semester. Who transfers to a rival high school the second semester of their senior year, especially since she's been in LaVergne schools since kindergarten?!

Theresa, I don't know how old your kids are, but I only give Ash a year or two at most, so if you can wait it out, I would.

• Theresa
        October 14, 2010 at 10:53 am

Sherry, I have plenty of time, I have an 8 year old boy and a 3 year old girl. (and…actually my son currently goes to school in Smyrna on an exemption because his zone school in LaVergne is less than stellar.)

3. nclb
    October 14, 2010 at 11:40 am

It's rather interesting that this page, http://www.dnj.com/article/20101014/NEWS01/101403… is no longer available………….

I was somewhat bothered by the fact that RCS would find it appropriate to have such low expectations of students, handing a grade of 50 for no work is a poor practice.

Setting such low expectations could possibly inflate the graduation rate for adequate yearly progress, exactly the reason why he was placed at LHS in the first place.

October 14, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Much be one of those infamous computer glitches. It's the lead article on the dnj homepage. Try it again.

• nclb
        October 15, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Definitely a infamous computer glitch, thanks for updating the link.

4. October 14, 2010 at 10:15 pm

So here is one more complaint which most students may oppose……the new principal says "no homework".

Really no homework….how are our children going to learn responsibility, task management and quite a few other things that go hand in hand with being an adult?

I guess if the kids have no homework then the can't get zeros for not turning it in or not getting a good grade on it…oh wait then the school as a whole will seem to be making smarter students….NOT!!!

I guess the lesser of two evils is ok for some but I think Daniels definately had to go, but come on….lets keep looking for a better replacement or at the very least bring back at least one tool (homework) that helps are children become capable adults…..

Thoughts????

• nclb
      October 17, 2010 at 7:36 pm

We do have a law in Tennessee called the Uniform Grading System, every LEA (local education authority) must use this standard grading scale, sixty-nine percent or below is a failing grade.

The TN Department of Education enacted a policy to allow leverage to the LEA so that they may use different strategies to assist with the transition for the new graduation guidelines.

It sounds more like strategies to keep the schools in line with the NCLB (no child left behind) laws.

• Cricket123
        October 17, 2010 at 11:13 pm

Im my honest opinion, this "No Child Left Behind" Law has done exactly that – left children behind… granted it helps the less studious children (or the ones who couldn't care less), but for the ones who take their education seriously, it does harm them. It keeps them from learning what they need in order to succeed beyond high school.

October 15, 2010 at 8:52 am

The following announcement showed up on the LHS home page earlier this week:

LaVergne High School Homework Policy 2010-2011:

• Homework may NOT negatively affect grades the student has earned in class.
    • Homework MAY impact a child positively – i.e. If a child completes a homework assignment he/she may receive an extra credit grade, replace a failing grade, or be given a total of homework grades in a portfolio format (a cumulative grade for the entire grading period).
    • Please use MASH when planning and assigning major assignments and projects to be completed outside of class.

Clear as mud, isn't it? And I have no clue what MASH is. 🙁

• October 16, 2010 at 6:51 am

Only one for this….Wow!!! There again the only one benefiting from this is the schools record….

October 16, 2010 at 10:02 am

Stephanie, I definitely agree with you, but my daughter is thrilled to have no homework her senior year after busting her tail for three years in advanced honors and AP classes. I'm afraid it's really going to affect the younger students down the road, though. Can you imagine four years of high school with no homework? College will be a rude awakening. 🙁

6. nclb