Candidate for Alderman: Tom Broeker

QUESTION 1:  Rank in the number of importance- 1 being most urgent for the city, 6 being least important.

1   Increase the number of public safety officers
1   Economic development
1   Tax reform for the city
1   Job growth
1   Work with the county to build a new high school
1   Explore an implement ways to restore home values in LaVergne

Our vision for the future must bring resolution to all of LaVergne’s problems as they are all equally important and in many ways directly related. Bringing jobs back to LaVergne as well as prioritizing retail development will bring increased revenue into the city. Revenue which can be used for additional services or personnel without burdening the taxpayers. This increased economic growth will have a direct influence on property value. It is imperative that we work with the school board to build a new high school to offset overcrowding but also in heading off any detrimental rezoning issues this build may cause.

QUESTION 2:  Do you believe property taxes should be increased in La Vergne?

The simple answer to this is NO. We need to focus on and prioritize bringing retail business into the city to increase revenue without increasing the burden on our homeowners.

QUESTION 3. What is the highest level of education you have completed?

– I have completed five semesters of college (78 credit hours) in Psychology / Social Work

QUESTION 4. Many of La Vergne’s Problems have been caused by decisions made by past elected officials and poor administration. While we can’t change the past, we can address past mistakes in order to build a better future. What would you do to restore La Vergne’s good reputation as a desirable place to buy homes, raise families, and entice more jobs?

LaVergne needs a plan and vision for the future. One that corrects our existing problems but also looks ahead 5,10,20 years from now. We need to define what type of city we want to be and actively and diligently work towards that goal. We need to market our many “state of the art” yet empty warehouses to distribution and manufacturing companies and bring quality jobs back into the city. We must bring retail business and restaurants to LaVergne. Our city departments need to be fully staffed and have all the resources necessary to not only get the job done but set LaVergne apart. We need a beautification project which cleans up LaVergne and gives its residents a city to be proud of. LaVergne has endless potential but we need a plan in place now and leaders that will work for good of the entire city.

QUESTION 5. Why should I vote for you?

First, as I feel this is a very critical election which will shape LaVergne for years to come, it is important that you get out and vote regardless whom you vote for.

As a union official within the United States Postal Service I have shown the ability to work with anyone to bring resolution to many problems. As commissioner of the LaVergne Baseball / Softball Association I have worked with great passion for the youth of LaVergne. As a partner with LaVergne Parks and Recreation department we grew Veteran’s Memorial Park and the league into one of the most highly esteemed in middle Tennessee.

I respectfully and humbly ask for your support, I ask for your vote. In return I promise to bring the same leadership, passion, and hard work to to city hall to benefit all the residents of LaVergne.

19 comments for “Candidate for Alderman: Tom Broeker

1. October 7, 2010 at 11:55 am

Thank you for your answers, Tom. Very well-thought-out.

October 7, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Tom, thank you for responding. After seeing your picture I tihnk we may have met before. Anyway, I absolutely agree with one of your statements:

" It is imperative that we work with the school board to build a new high school to offset overcrowding but also in heading off any detrimental rezoning issues this build may cause."

Even for those of us whose kids are not in the county school system, I think we all need to realize that schools do affect our property values.

I also like your comments about marketing our warehouse district, Ingram and Heil Quaker are two of the most well kept areas in town.

Do you have any specific beautification plans? I like the median landscaping at the intersection of Murfreesboro Road and Stones River, and would like to see that carried throughout Murfreesboro Road.

• October 7, 2010 at 12:18 pm

I found Tom's insight about a new high school not being detrimental the rezoning very interesting and perceptive since he returned the survey before the big Ash-Blast occurred in the newspaper and online. I like his ability to think long-term.

• Tom Broeker
      October 11, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Michael,
      Any beautification plans would obviously have begin with Murfreesboro and Waldron Roads, city properties and all of our parks. I agree that the median around Murfreesboro / Stones River Road looks great but why just there? I believe something similar at the entrances to our city could really be special. It would set us apart and portray a positive image to anyone who enters our city. There are several areas of Murfressboro Road that weeds and brush are chest high and litter is everywhere.There are signs and billboards advertising businesses or events that no longer exist. These need to come down. We need to give our Parks and Recreation department the manpower and resources to keep our parks and city properties second to none. Ordinances need to be drawn up and passed that require home or business owners to maintain the upkeep of their property. While city hall can not mandate or legislate civic pride, it sure can set the tone.

3. Theresa
    October 7, 2010 at 8:29 pm

I would be interested in your ideas for beautification too. Also, how do you feel about maintaining what greenspace we have left?

4. Ivy
    October 9, 2010 at 10:38 am

Tom, I am digging what you're putting down here, but tell me: is there any circumstance in which you would raise taxes?

• Tom Broeker
      October 11, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Ivy,
      This is a very difficult question. Would I ever vote to raise taxes? If I am given the opportunity to serve La Vergne as an one of its Alderman I could never justify a vote to raise taxes and burden taxpayers without doing all I could to generate revenue in other ways such as bringing retail business to La Vergne. It is not acceptable to me that LaVergne residents have no choice but to spend their hard earned dollars in Smyrna, Murfreesboro, etc. benefiting those cities because we can not bring quality business here? I believe we can, I believe we have to. I believe in the forseeable future that is where revenue needs to come from.

October 11, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Right on, Tom, thank you for your answer. 🙂

5. Elizabeth
    October 10, 2010 at 5:25 pm

I agree with you on the "beautification" of our city. When I go into Smyrna, their intersections, stores frontages are well kept, beautifully planted with flowers and trees. Then I come back to La Vergne….BUT at Ingram Books and Tech Park (Mason Rd) and those areas, the properties are well kept and beautiful to drive by. Also, would like to see the "beautification" on Murfreesforo Rd from one end to the other of La Vergne. That would be very inviting for everyone coming into La Vergne from either direction and see great landscaping with trees and flowers.

6. October 11, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Time to step in and moderate. Please remember that the posts where the candidates answered questions are reserved for people voicing their support for the candidate. While it is okay to ask a question, a question cloaked in "accusation" isn't cool.

I have moved some of these discussion questions to the post called "OPEN THREAD: Moving A Discussion to Here" … right here. http://thisislavergne.wordpress.com/2010/10/07/op

You can find them in the comments section. (Or you can by about 9:00 pm Monday night 10-11-10 when I get done…)

7. Kerri Lovell
    October 11, 2010 at 8:52 pm

We have played with the LBSA league for ten years. The league has great coaches, and I have always felt that the coaches, players, and parents are our second family. The league has grown tremendously over the past ten years. There are many talented players in the league, and the competition is wide-spread. Tom has always lead the league well. He has always had a great disposition, and works well with all people. Addtionally, he is a very empathic person and cares for others. We need him for La Vergne!! Vote for Tom!!

8. Mike Catanese
    October 12, 2010 at 11:38 am

Having been a board member for over 7 years for LaVergne Baseball and Softball, I must say that I have talked with many people that have come through our league, and most, if not all, have had wonderful things to say about our league, and our commissioner, Tom Broeker.

Over the past seven years that I have been involved, Tom has always listened to all sides of an issue before reaching a fair decision.  He has worked tirelessly EVERY NIGHT…often on 2 hours of sleep per night…to ensure the success of the league and to make LaVergne Baseball and Softball a place where people want to play and have fun in a family-like atmosphere.

In my board member role, I often get a chance to speak to parents before, during, and after a season.  Because of this, I know firsthand the people that come from far and wide because they know the caliber of our league in LaVergne.  They come from Antioch, Nashville, Hermitage, Murfreesboro, and yes, Smyrna…and year after year, I hear that this is a wonderful organization, far better than the various organizations they have come from in the past.  I greatly believe that says something about Tom as commissioner of the league and the direction to which he has taken this league.

So, with that said, I know Tom would work just as hard for the people of LaVergne…for the youth, elderly, and everyone in between.  Just as he has done for the past 8 years in the league, he will bring the same tireless energy to City Hall to work for each one of you.

LaVergne, do yourself a favor, and vote Tom Broeker on November 2, and you will experience first hand his hard work, dedication, and loyalty, just as I have experienced, and what many, many parents have personally told me over the past seven years.

9. james
    October 12, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Kerri L. and Mike C. great post. You have just won Tom Broeker my vote, these were very positive post. Unlike some of the other candidates supporters you did not resort to bashing Toms opponents

10. Steve Noe
    October 12, 2010 at 10:06 pm

I have personally known Tom for over 10 yrs. and I am very happy to see someone that is running for office that is not so old fashion and closed minded but yet understands the future and growth of our city. Tom took a baseball program that had approx. 200 children and made it into a very well respected park and league that folks travel from over 500 miles away to bring there kids to play ball. With that I know that Tom has the business since and the common since to be a great help in the growth of our fair city and to help it grow and keep the future alive (OUR CHILDREN) as they will be the ones running it someday. The baseball program has over 1000 kids now with boys and girls and with out a doubt the SHARPEST dressed kids in the Southeast.

October 12, 2010 at 10:19 pm

Elizabeth, this is not the place for theese posts. Take it to one of the other topics that Kathy has created. Why can people not follow basic instructions!

I am seeing Tom in a light like Senna – Passionate about the direction of the city, and most people either love them or hate them.

I like the fact that he has held a leadership position in a municipal organization, and it sounds like from most people he has been able to increase participation (and therefore finaicial success) of La Vergne base ball. I knew very little about Tom a few days ago but am now very seriously considering voting for him.

• October 12, 2010 at 10:38 pm

Editors note… above referenced comment was moved to the OPEN THREAD: Moving a Discussion post.

12. nclb
    October 31, 2010 at 10:50 am

Mr. Broeker,

I would be very interested in hearing more about your plans on how you would proceed in regards to building a new high school in La Vergne.

I know La Vergne is in dire need of addressing this issue, however, at this point with approval from the county and school board regarding the Stewart's Creek location to assist in the overcrowded Smyrna, La Vergne. Blackman and Riverdale high schools this might be an impossible task to take on with the project construction beginning in May of 2011.

Could you address this concern with me before I make my final decision on election day.

13. Tom Broeker
    October 31, 2010 at 12:22 pm

While the build of a new high school is largely a county or school board endeavor, I believe the city should use any and all influences for this bulid to not leave La Vergne or it's children behind. I believe the board of Mayor and Alderman should work closely with the school board and La Vergne's newly elected school board member, Aaron Holladay, so that rezoning plans do not create any undue burdens and cause any socioeconomic imbalances.

14. nclb
    November 1, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Thank you for responding, I do agree with you that this may cause socioeconomic imbalances in the school district.