Anheuser Busch Distribution Coming to LaV

Great news from the city!

Ajax-Turner relocating to La Vergne

Ajax-Turner Company, Inc., distributor for the Anheuser Busch brewery company, has chosen to move their offices and distribution cetner from Nashville to La Vergne, Vice Mayor and Economic Development Chairman Jerry Gann said Sept. 15.

They will be located in Center Pointe industrial park, located at Waldron Road and I-24 in La Vergne. They will bring 250 relocated jobs to the city, Gann said.

“The relocation of Ajax-Turner creates more synergy for the area,” Gann said.  “This announcement shows that the City is continuing to market itself as a prime location within Middle Tennessee and the US.”

Mayor Ronnie Erwin was pleased with the announcement.

“I’m very happy that Ajax Turner decided to relocate to La Vergne,” he noted. “This shows that companies across the country are continuing to look at La Vergne not only for its quality of life but  for its logistical location to service Middle Tennessee and the rest of the country.”

The mayor said he personally met with Scott Turner, president of Ajax Turner, to get this deal to come through.  In addition, he added for readers that the Dollar General Store is moving along as planned and should open in the near future.  If you have any questions for the mayor, he can be reached at 394-2821.

11 comments for “Anheuser Busch Distribution Coming to LaV

1. mark
    September 22, 2010 at 5:52 pm

this is awesome news..dont mean to sound like a grump but they were moving anyways because they got flooded out back in May same as the Miller people. they are finding a higher place to move to as well. I read this last month in the Tennesseean that both companies were looking to get off the river bank. I know the MTA is going to put at the old Peterbilt building in Madison since they got flooded out too! just saying……

2. Cricket123
    September 22, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Let's hope the road construction gets fixed with a quickness because it's a "train wreck" over here!!!

I had thought earlier about sharing my secrets of how to get out of the west side of LV quicker, but I think not now or else all of those roads will be congested too!

3. Katherine Kandy Pier
    September 22, 2010 at 9:33 pm

I am happy we have the revenue moving to La Vergne and with the location they should not add much more traffic except on the bridge and I-24 ramps. Thanks to Ronnie and Jerry for their efforts, but there is another group of city volunteers and employees that deserve a pat on the back for this move to La Vergne be coming possible. That would be the Beer Board Members (Dana Blair, Michael Jolly, and myself) that were at the special meeting on September 9th, Bruce Richardson, Jerry Davenport, and the City Attorney. As for the additional jobs I thought those were filled positions via employees coming with them or are the planning to hire from here in the beginning?

4. Melissa Cooper
    September 22, 2010 at 10:11 pm

And this is going to benefit the thousands of people that lost their jobs in LaVergne —how?

5. Linda Tomlin
    September 22, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Worked at Whirlpool which left in Aug. 2008 and since that time many more companies have left, what has the city of LaVergne done to get businesses back to this area. Is this the first company in 2 years time to locate here? Are there any plans for more business to locate here in the near future that will create jobs?

6. Bud-wise-errr
    September 22, 2010 at 10:43 pm

Kandy, would the Beer Board have made any other decision about this facility? Since you feel the need to pat your beer board on the back; would you care to discuss the differences in punishments levied to stores that were caught selling beer to minors? Shouldn't the punishment be the same for all offenders, one would think so. But that hasn't been the case has it!!!
    This is not a personal attack, just a true statement. Two different stores with two different punishments for the same infraction, why?
    I do not know the people that you mentioned personally, but I do know the owner of one store that received a harsh punishment, while the other store (corner of Fergus and Murfreesboro Rd) received basically a slap on the wrist. So why exactly was the punishment so different for the same infraction.Since you are on the beer board I figure that a reasonable explanation could be a deciding factor in my vote since you are running for office.

• Katherine Kandy Pier
      September 23, 2010 at 3:17 pm

After checking the history with TABC and TBI background checks the answer to the first question is probably not. Yet there are five volunteers on this board and they all take their position seriously, so each item is looked at as individually as the ordinance allows. As for the "pat on the back" comment not the best choice of words for the point I was trying to make – which was that it took more than the Mayor and Vice Mayor for this extra revenue to come to our city. I feel a thanks should be given to all that were involved. I do feel at this time the revenue and location are the best benefits for the city coming out of this move. It may bring jobs in the future for our citizens, but I do not think there will be any right away. That saddens me, because we have a lot of empty warehouses and many more citizens in need of jobs.
      After ten years on the board I must agree that different penalties have been issued in the past, but at this time we have set precedence for first offences and for second offences that as a board may still change slightly. Our ordinance allows for suspension, revocation, or a civil penalty in stead of no sell for an amount of time. The only two permit holders that received a harsher punishment, than the store you mentioned, chose not appear before the board and did not notify us prior of any reason for not showing up. Yet, I am not even positive we are referring to the same permit holder. This board only started holding hearing within the last five years and during that time we have made many changes to the ordinance and through trial and error modified penalties to the point we are now referred to as having the strictest in the county. Personally I am proud of that, if it makes permit holders train their employees, sell alcohol legally, and hope it makes them want to contact the State ABC or CADCOR to become Responsible Vendors. Responsible Vendors by state law can only be fined up to $1000 no matter the offense, but the extra training usually means they do not come before the board for issues. If you feel I am still not answering your question please let me know, but I am trying to be as specific as possible as to how I am reading your question.

7. Cricket123
    September 22, 2010 at 11:51 pm

Kandy,

I've noticed that you are in the race for Alderman. Where exactly do you live in our lovely city?

• Katherine Kandy Pier
      September 23, 2010 at 3:18 pm

I live at 134 Nelson Dr for the past 19 years.

8. Ryan B
    September 24, 2010 at 10:44 am

Wonder if the "Mayor" had his tie loose when he met with Mr. Turner like he always does on tv (including last night)?? How many times have you seen Mayor Dean or any Mayor with their tie loose on tv looking like a slob? Is this someone you want representing your city another four years??? People we need new faces & a big change in Lavergne so let's vote in new leadership this year!! We can have a nice city with the right leaders