OTD Was a Success in My Book

It was such a pleasure to attend the annual celebration yesterday with NO OBLIGATIONS other than to just enjoy it.  I got to see lots of people, meet some new folks, talk to all the candidates who were present for the upcoming election, eat roasted corn on the cob, drink free water, watched a parade, and listened to some great music.  The worst part of the day is that I missed the fireworks … my own fault.

GREAT JOB to all the city workers who put the event together.  I know it’s a lot of hard, focused work where your diplomatic skills must be used in high gear.  If there were any snafus, we didn’t see them and that – in my experience -always makes for a successful event.  If there’s a mess-up, as long as people don’t know about it then there is NO mess-up!  So BRAVO, y’all!

I did enjoy talking to the candidates and have left with some impressions.  I’m not going to be specific here … will save for my endorsements when the election gets closer.  But here are some general impressions:

• Most are in the races for the right reasons – they love living here and want to make it a better place to live.
  • Some seem to be singularly focused on one or two issues where perhaps a broader picture is needed. But their issues of focus are good ones. These are the candidates who – if they don’t win election – should absolutely be tapped by the victors to serve on committees on behalf of the city… Economic Development, Local Emergency Management, Planning Commission.
  • Some really dislike this site because of the many Senna Mosley fans.  Let me be clear about this, ALL COMMENTS are welcome here as long as you abide by the Terms of Use.  Keep your tone civil, no personal attacks.  If you are a candidate and don’t want to be here, send your citizens enthusiasts here to comment.  This is an equal opportunity site.. if you want someone to come on and say “VOTE FOR ____ because he/she is the BEST! (and why)” or “___ has lived here for 20 years and really has the best interest of residents at heart.” THEN DO IT.   Readers want to hear from you.
  • It’s a little uncomfortable for people to just pick up the phone and say, “Hey. You’re running for office. I’d like to get to know you.”  Seriously.  You need to make yourself available (which you did yesterday at OTD and thank you for that) whether it’s in person or online.
  • One candidate who I “knew of” before, but had not met really left a positive impression on me.
  • One candidate who I “knew of” before, but had not met didn’t at all impress me and (upon reflection) rather offended me.
  • Two candidates who I “knew of” before are pretty okay people.  I like ’em I do.  Don’t know if I’ll vote for them in this election, but hope they’ll run again because I wish we could vote for FOUR aldermen.
  • One candidate who I “knew” before did not change my personal opinion after chatting. After going over the conversation in my head several times, it became clear that the comments were an attack on the other candidates – subtle, but there.  And I call BS.
  • While I appreciate the site suggestions, I have decided not to limit free speech opportunities unless comments are vulgar.
  • I am giving very serious consideration to implementing some comment guidelines on the actual posts when the questionnaires are returned.  That was a good, good suggestion and I appreciate it.

That’s all I’ll leave you with for now.  Remember, be civil.  Conduct yourself in a way that will make your Momma proud.

Here are some pictures from the day!

8 comments for “OTD Was a Success in My Book

1. Alderman Senna Mosle
    September 19, 2010 at 11:41 am

Once again you have out done yourself on promoting the positive happenings of this GREAT city. Old Timers was a huge success in my book!!! I know many, many hours are put into organizing this event . My sincere thank you to all involved. Angie Mayes, good job well done. Thank you Kathy for all the wonderful photos, but I must say my abosolute favorite was my white car not because of any election, but because a very special lady to me was in that car. You see, we almost lost her a few months ago, and I would not take anything for that picture of her being here today and showing her wonderful smile!!!! God Blessed us and that picture shows a face of his miracles at work. Thank you for sharing.

2. Patricia Farmer
    September 19, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Kathy thank you for posting the pics, they are all good ones. Would like to say thank you to the people that stopped by our booth and spoke with us yesterday. We had a really good time and had the oppurtunity to put faces to the names, which is good. I hope the best for all that are running in the election, may the best person win. Would like to say thank you to the people behind the scenes in helping us get ready for the parade, you know who you are.

September 20, 2010 at 8:14 am

No snafus? Obviously you weren't around when the LHS choirs were trying to perform! Overall, I heard it was a good day, though, and I'm glad the weather cooperated. Great pix, too!

• September 20, 2010 at 8:18 pm

I guess I missed that part, Sherry! 🙂

4. Alderman Senna Mosle
    September 20, 2010 at 4:34 pm

I am sorry about the choir. Those guys and gals are AWESOME!!! So very proud of them!!!

5. Katherine Kandy Pier
    September 20, 2010 at 7:54 pm

I have attended many Old Timer's days in the past 19 years and all have been special to me for various reasons. This was also wonderful, because of all the great people I was able to meet! All the city workers did a wonderful job in the organization of this event. Everyone I talked was enjoying the day and the weather was perfect! Thank you Kathy for all the great pics, too. Yet, I must say the hardest part for me this year was the absence of Mr. Rutledge. I went by to see Ms. Evie on Sunday after breaking camp with the Boy Scouts and she told me she would be back at work today! I hope it was a great day for her. Change is difficult for us all, but we must all make the best of everyday no matter how impossible it may seem! My THANKS to all of La Vergne for such a wonderful weekend!

6. September 23, 2010 at 12:11 pm

If the choir had contacted me about singing, we could have worked something out. I heard they wanted to sing in between sets (which couldn't have happened bec ause of sound checks, etc.), but I would like to hear from them before the event.

I had no clue (nor did anyone else on the committee) that they were going to stand in the grass and sing. I was able to get a couple of shots of them performing.

They have sung the National Anthem twice for us in the past 11 years that I have been coordinating the event and were remarkable, but we have to pass the love around. Last year (2009), it was the middle school choir and this year, it was Randy Berg because he was on stand by last year.

If the choir director or someone in charge would contact me at 287-8690 — or better yet by e-mail (amayes@lavergne.org), we'll definitely talk.

I want to be fair to everyone who wants to sing. If they want to do a 30-minute set, I'll need a CD of their music, bio and photo from Nov. 1 through Feb. 28. We'd definitely consider them for a slot.

Which reminds me — anyone wanting to sit on the entertainment committee is welcome to, it's not limited to city employees. We had a couple of citizens sit on it this year and we do appreciate their service. We meet around the first or second Saturday in March.

We are looking at continuing to have a main act, so get ready for the announcement within the next few weeks.

If anyone else has a comment about this year's event, please contact me. I appreciate all the feedback I can get.

Thanks for attending this year's festival. We're glad you enjoyed it.

7. LHS Choir Booster
    September 23, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Just to clear things up….

It is unfortunate that the Choir was not heard or seen on the stage, yes, but it was at no fault of the OTD planners or Mrs. Mayes.

The Choraliers were never scheduled to perform on or near the stage this year because we did not know about and consequently did not meet the deadline to apply or make a request before the entertainment was chosen for this year. And quite frankly as mentioned above, they had only sang the National Anthem so we didn’t think that school groups were even allowed to fill the 30 minute slots since they had not in previous years done so.

This is why when we reserved our Booths we did it with the intentions to have it as far away from the stage as possible so that the Choraliers could sing by our Booth and attract more business to it without interfering with the Entertainers on stage and/or announcements. This was always the plan and our students knew this.

We have spoken to Mrs. Mayes and now have the deadlines and information needed to successfully apply for an entertainment slot for next year's OTD.

We apologize for any confusion and/or disappointment that this may have caused and would like to thank you for all the support at OTD this year and hope that you will come out to continue your support for the LHS CHOIR at all the rest of their events this year.

If you have any further comments and/or questions please refer them to the LHS Choir Booster VP, Tonya Knell 308-8031 or theknells@comcast.net